Clearing errors after drive is no longer connected. RRS feed

• Question

• I connected a friends external hard drive to my WHS Via USB.  the Drive was/is trash as in it will not initialize properly any more. I don't care about the drive as I disconnected it and won't even see it again. My Problem is that it created an error message/ health notification and marked it as critical. The error message says to click repair to help fix the drive; I can't, The drive is not connected and it does not see it anymore, so how am i to clear this.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    following procedure is unsupported and potentially dangerous with certain risk of data loss not to exclude.
    Maybe it helps, if you login to your Windows Home Server desktop, click Start/Run and type regedit.
    Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Home Server/Storage Manager/Volumes
    Here you should find a key representing the ID of that drive (which you can read in the console), looking similar like this like "c68af8cb-6fc9-4ba9-a43f-ad4e5ac52752" with similar content:
    "FriendlyName"="Unformatted volume \\\\?\\Volume{2432f296-9b34-11dd-904a-806e6f6e6963}\\"
    "MountPoint"="\\\\.\\Unmounted\\"
    "SystemName"="\\\\?\\Volume{2432f296-9b34-11dd-904a-806e6f6e6963}\\"

Click on the key name to select it and click File/Export.
    Save that key as .reg file just in case something goes wrong.
    After that delete the key, close registry editor and reboot.

If the message is gone, and all other stuff is still working, all is good again (hopefully).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Zuntar Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:45 AM
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:18 AM

All replies

• Evening,

Have you tried going through the Drive Remove option in the Server Storage page of the Console, this should delete the drive (even though it isn't connected).

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:18 PM
  • It doesn't show up there, that is the real problem!
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:51 PM
  • Hi,
    following procedure is unsupported and potentially dangerous with certain risk of data loss not to exclude.
    Maybe it helps, if you login to your Windows Home Server desktop, click Start/Run and type regedit.
    Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Home Server/Storage Manager/Volumes
    Here you should find a key representing the ID of that drive (which you can read in the console), looking similar like this like "c68af8cb-6fc9-4ba9-a43f-ad4e5ac52752" with similar content:
    "FriendlyName"="Unformatted volume \\\\?\\Volume{2432f296-9b34-11dd-904a-806e6f6e6963}\\"
    "MountPoint"="\\\\.\\Unmounted\\"
    "SystemName"="\\\\?\\Volume{2432f296-9b34-11dd-904a-806e6f6e6963}\\"

Click on the key name to select it and click File/Export.
    Save that key as .reg file just in case something goes wrong.
    After that delete the key, close registry editor and reboot.

If the message is gone, and all other stuff is still working, all is good again (hopefully).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:18 AM
  • Someone give this man a big cookie!!

Worked like a charm mate, thanks!!!!
    • Unmarked as answer by Zuntar Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:45 AM
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:44 AM