Error installing Nvidia Driver???? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I've been having trouble to install Nvidia driver on my newly built WHS!!  I'm trying to re-use my old 8800GT card (yes, I know it's overkill, but it's just laying around...), but no matter what I do, I just can't install the driver....!!! 

I've tried different driver version (included 177.35) and for different OS (XP/2k, & 64bit), none works and it gave me an error msg when the driver installation program started to run...

Here's the error msg (may be it would help for you guys to pin point the problem....)

Error Code: -5009 : 0x8000ffff
    Error Information:
    >Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (163)
    >Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (384)
    >Kernel\Component.cpp (1161)
    >Kernel\CABFile.cpp (384)
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1655)
    PAPP:NVIDIA Display Drivers
    PVENDOR:NVIDIA Corporation (http://www.nvidia.com/)
    PGUID:EFB7D050-CAD2-11D4-B34D-00105A1C23DD
    $9.1.0.429
    @Windows  Service Pack 2 (3790) IE 6.0.3790.3959

I got this exact same msg everytime regardless the driver version....

What's wrong??  Is it I just can't use this video card w/ the latest driver???  (which I don't see why not....)

Thanks a lot!!

Sunday, August 3, 2008 11:36 PM

Answers

• Don't bother. There is no need for video drivers if the server can output standard VGA, that's enough to get the system up and running before you disconnect your monitor etc.

Nvidia drivers are problematic at the best of times, you need to extract them, and then just use the basic video driver, as being this is a server, there is no need for any of the 'extras' that is included and in the majority of cases, as WHS is based on Server 2003, they wouldn't be recognised anyway.

Any drivers that you do use, for your network card etc., should all be Server 2003 versions anyway, if at all possible.

Colin

Monday, August 4, 2008 10:56 AM

All replies

• Don't bother. There is no need for video drivers if the server can output standard VGA, that's enough to get the system up and running before you disconnect your monitor etc.

Nvidia drivers are problematic at the best of times, you need to extract them, and then just use the basic video driver, as being this is a server, there is no need for any of the 'extras' that is included and in the majority of cases, as WHS is based on Server 2003, they wouldn't be recognised anyway.

Any drivers that you do use, for your network card etc., should all be Server 2003 versions anyway, if at all possible.

Colin

Monday, August 4, 2008 10:56 AM
  • so most of you guys just use the MS's generic driver???  or is it just a nvidia thing??  (as I've tried a old 6200LE and new 8800GT card)  does it happen the same for ati cards??
    Monday, August 4, 2008 7:35 PM