none
PCI gigabit Lan card suggestions? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 1.1gig athlon with some old built in lan card capable of only 10/100...  I have since installed a Netgear GA311 pci lan card http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapters/WiredAdapters/GA311.aspx and verified it's running in gigabit mode with jumbo frames etc.  It has tripled the speed of file transfers.  But now when the WHS is doing backups, it seems to lose connection..  The light on the router is still on and so is the light on the lan card.  I can hookup a monitor to the WHS and I get "blah blah computer backup has failed"..  But no other message.  When I try to manipulate the Lan card in any way, that screen locks up.  Like changin ip addresses and enabling/disabling it in the devive manager.  A simple reboot of the WHS fixes all problems until the next back up is done and it happens again.  I can change ip addresses, disable/enable it, etc until the loss of connection.  This makes me think it's the card, especially since it was working on the onboard one fine..

I have tried the XP drivers, the windows 2000 drivers, and the Vista (wouldn't install) and both of em have the same issue.  I have a d-link d-655 router that's brand new and no other computers have connection problems to each other or the net during the time that WHS loses it. 

So I was going to take this card back and get a different brand, unless someone comes up with a possible solution.  What card would be a good priced card that has verified to work with WHS?  I'll probably buy locally but newegg is more then ok..

Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:46 AM

All replies

• To answer my question, it would seem that the Intel Pro Pci card would be the best choice.  Any ideas what could be wrong with the Netgear card before I take it back Monday?
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:53 AM