Cisco & Exchange 2007 UM Quesiton RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I'm a pure MS guy and have been for the past 12 years but as we all now, we're now going to have to learn VoIP as well.  I would like to break down the layout we have for our current phone system and would like to know what it is going to take for me to be able to integrate it with Exchange 2007 Unified Messaging:

2x Cisco VG200 Voice Gateways

Cisco Call Manager 4.0 (CCM) configured in a redundant cluster on two Cisco MCS7825 boxes

Cisco Unity running on MCS7835 for voice mail (which will be going away I assume if we're deploying Exchange UM)

I'm reading that I need to upgrade CCM to version 5.1?  I think I read that version is not supported on the MCS7825 boxes meaning I'll need new hardware as well?

Has anyone been at a client site that was looking to accomplish the same thing with a simliar Cisco set up?

Many thanks

Thursday, January 3, 2008 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

You may have more luck on the Exchange UM forum:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=845&SiteID=17

However I will say that CCM 5.1 is supported on a 7825, no problem. If you decide not to upgrade and you stick with CCM 4.0, the only real way to integrate is by purchasing a gateway that MS Exchange does support (audiocodes and dialogic being among the most common) http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/telephony-advisor.mspx

You would get an FXO gateway from the list in the link above, then connect it to one or more of your VG200s with one or more phone lines. There is a lot of CCM configuration you'd need to do to route the calls to the VG200, then you'd need to configure the VG200 to route the calls to the AudioCodes gateway. Then youd need to configure the audiocodes gateway to route the calls to Exchange.

In short: it can be done, but you might be better off upgrading to CCM 5.1 - in that case you can just configure CCM to route calls directly to exchange.

By the way, I am pretty sure that the VG200s are "end-of-life" and not supported by Cisco anymore.

Regards,

Matt 

Thursday, January 3, 2008 6:25 PM