Creating Opportunity,Quote through API for Limited CAL users RRS feed

• Question

• I have a scenario where user is having Limited CAL. i.e. cannot create Opportunity, Quote, Order from CRM web client.

I want to provide the ability to create Opportunity through API.

Is there any solution like collect the required data from HTML/Silver light UI and have a plug-in to create the opportunity record by executing plug-in in context of Full CAL user?

Please suggest the various approaches.

Regards,

Ranjeet

• Edited by Run_Jeet Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:30 AM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:12 AM

Answers

• This is a duplicate of your question in the CRM forum.

The short answer is that Limited CAL users cannot create or update Opps, Quotes or Orders via CRM clients nor through API.

If a user performs some action which causes a subsequent action, even if that uses impersonation to do the work, this is still a result of the first user action and I would expect this to be ruled out by the terms of the Limited licence.

Quote from Licensing / Pricing guide (emphasis mine):

‘Live’ data is information that, via use action, dynamically writes to or reads from, or synchronizes with Microsoft Dynamics CRM, whether it is accessed directly or indirectly.

This is no different to using an aggregator / multiplexer or other such technology to spoof calls to an application as if they come from one user, while allowing many users to interact with a portal or other interface. These scenarios are specifically excluded in the licence agreement, they do not reduce the required CALs needed. Similarly the external connector expressly excludes employees and contractors to avoid any possible confusion.

If your users need to create and update opps and quotes, they need a full CAL if you want to remain legal, which I can only assume you do.

Hope this helps. Adam Vero, MCT

• Marked as answer by Run_Jeet Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:15 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 12:56 PM

All replies

• This is a duplicate of your question in the CRM forum.

The short answer is that Limited CAL users cannot create or update Opps, Quotes or Orders via CRM clients nor through API.

If a user performs some action which causes a subsequent action, even if that uses impersonation to do the work, this is still a result of the first user action and I would expect this to be ruled out by the terms of the Limited licence.

Quote from Licensing / Pricing guide (emphasis mine):

‘Live’ data is information that, via use action, dynamically writes to or reads from, or synchronizes with Microsoft Dynamics CRM, whether it is accessed directly or indirectly.

This is no different to using an aggregator / multiplexer or other such technology to spoof calls to an application as if they come from one user, while allowing many users to interact with a portal or other interface. These scenarios are specifically excluded in the licence agreement, they do not reduce the required CALs needed. Similarly the external connector expressly excludes employees and contractors to avoid any possible confusion.

If your users need to create and update opps and quotes, they need a full CAL if you want to remain legal, which I can only assume you do.

Hope this helps. Adam Vero, MCT

• Marked as answer by Run_Jeet Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:15 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Thanks Adam for your valuable inputs. I am aware this can be oly possible throguh Full CAL. I was looking for solution like posting AF against the account,contact and triggering it to convert into oppt as Cartsen mentioned.

I agree, still it would be grey area as user in context will not have ablity to create oppt.

Regards,

Ranjeet

Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:14 PM