none
Error 500 page is not useful RRS feed

• General discussion

• I imagine this page pops up due to heavy server load.  It's been coming up extremely frequently for me today - and I can only assume it's part of the reason for the scheduled downtime this afternoon (PST).

The page states (as it's first message): "Sorry, we were unable to service your request. Please try again later."

Unfortunately, the page provides NO WAY of "trying again later".  This may be slightly acceptable if you were attempting to hit the MSDN home page - but it's clearly not acceptable when using the forums or library.  My style of using the forums is to take advantage of IE's tab functionality, and open the threads I'm interested in in separate tabs, while keeping the first tab on the main forum page.  If I do this, and one of the threads I've opened returns a 500 error, there is no "nice" way for me to "try again".  The 500 page doesn't tell me what page I was trying to load.  It doesn't have a "try again" button.  You CAN'T EVEN REFRESH IT to try again.  The only hack is to de-mangle the URL, removing some redirect code that's in the middle.

Please, please, just add a "try again" button to that 500 page.  It knows where I want to go, so please let it help me get there.
    Todd McDermid's Blog
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:47 PM

All replies

• Thanks Todd,

We'll see what we can do to fix this.

Sam Jarawan Social Platform Forums - Senior Development Lead
    Friday, February 27, 2009 5:26 AM