none
Mapped WHS share and UNC path are treated as different drives RRS feed

• Question

• I mapped a WHS share to a drive letter on a Win7 machine. If I search the mapped share in Win7's Windows Explorer, and attempt to move the resulting files from the search window to another folder on the mapped share, Win7 initiates a copy operation.  I noticed that if I open the file's current location from the search window, it opens the folder using the UNC path, not the mapped drive letter. So basically Win7 is treating the share mapped to a drive letter and the same share accessed via UNC path as two different devices.

This does not happen with shares served by XP, so I suspect the cause lies with WHS.

Monday, May 24, 2010 10:27 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server provides shares for merged drives in the storage pool using tombstones, which are pointing to the real data location, while Windows XP shares are limited to one physical disk. The tombstones are located on D:\shares, the real files somewhere else. Since with drive extender is another instance between, moving a file cannot happen directly. Also duplication may be involved and needs to be cleaned up.

Also I think, the search results are delivered from Windows Search on the server, which cannot be aware of local drive mappings on the client.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Roland Fang Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:33 PM
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:38 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server provides shares for merged drives in the storage pool using tombstones, which are pointing to the real data location, while Windows XP shares are limited to one physical disk. The tombstones are located on D:\shares, the real files somewhere else. Since with drive extender is another instance between, moving a file cannot happen directly. Also duplication may be involved and needs to be cleaned up.

Also I think, the search results are delivered from Windows Search on the server, which cannot be aware of local drive mappings on the client.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Roland Fang Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:33 PM
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:38 AM

Thank you for the reply. I imagine in this case moving a file on a WHS share from one folder to another just changes the tombstone slightly to point to a new path? Since the data doesn't change location physically. I've not enabled duplication for any folder on the share.

If this behavior cannot be helped, it kind of defeats some of the usefulness of having mapped drives, which basically saves you from having to type out the UNC path all the time. I guess it's ok as long as you don't try to manage files via the search window.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:30 PM