none
Restore Error: I/O error reading clusters . . . through . . . on the server. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to restore my main machine and I keep getting loads of I/O errors. It asks me if I want to continue. When I say yes, I immediately get another error. After a dozen or so errors, then it resumes restoring for a very brief time. Then the I/O errors start again. I haven't taken the time to hit yes all the way through. That could take hours. I've tried twice now with the same results.

I'm currently running error-checking on all the drives on the server.

Any suggestions? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Phil
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:01 PM

Answers

• Restore completed successfully after about 5 hours. I'm up and running again with no problems. Whew! I don't like scares like that.

Anything I can do to avoid this in the future? Should I manually run chkdsk /r on all server drives on a regular basis?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Phil,
    I/O errors can also be caused by a damaged target disk.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:25 PM
  • Thanks, Olaf. So the problem might not be with a hard drive on my server?

What should I do? My desktop drive is a relatively new 1TB 7200.11 that has been working very nicely. Should I try formatting it?

Thanks!

Phil
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:28 PM
  • Phil Gons said:

Thanks, Olaf. So the problem might not be with a hard drive on my server?

What should I do? My desktop drive is a relatively new 1TB 7200.11 that has been working very nicely. Should I try formatting it?

Thanks!

Phil

I would suggest running chkdsk /r on the drive in your desktop.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:38 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Thanks, kariya21. It's running right now. Hope that fixes it.

Though I'm still a bit confused. The error message seems a bit misleading if the problem isn't with the *server* hard drive--at least to a novice like me.
    I/O error reading clusters . . . through . . . *on the server*.
    • Edited by Phil Gons Monday, January 12, 2009 3:06 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:33 AM
  • If you logon locally to your server and check the Event log in control panel/administrative tools, you will see, if the server has problems. But likely I would assume the message is pointing to the client disk.
    Olaf
    Monday, January 12, 2009 1:08 AM
  • kariya21 said:

Here's the result: http://screencast.com/t/2tOb6y2Ut.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:04 AM
  • If it's not a bad disk and the server and logs show healthy, it could be faulty hard drive controller on your desktop.  What is your reason for restoring?  
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:52 AM
  • Enchanter said:

If it's not a bad disk and the server and logs show healthy, it could be faulty hard drive controller on your desktop.  What is your reason for restoring?  

athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.

The logs on the server show lots of errors (36 in the last 20 minutes). Here's one that's representative of all of the others:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 278
    Date: 1/11/2009
    Time: 8:08:56 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: GONSHOMESERVER
    Description: I/O error occurred on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Data.4096.51.dat offset 1073725440 during restore.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    What does this mean? Is the data on my server corrupted? Is there anything I can do?

The reason I am restoring is that I tried to install the Windows 7 beta (via an upgrade), but it failed and my system seemed a tag buggy, so I decided I would just restore to the backup that I did immediately before attempting the install.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Hi,

I/O error occurred on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Data.4096.51.dat offset 1073725440 during restore.
    that error message in detail could point indeed to a problem on your server (although only the developers may know the real background of such messages). This could be a problem, that a disk is generally inaccessible, that there are failures on the disk or that the backup database is corrupt (which could also be a result of the first two points).
    Maybe you could run chkdsk on each server drive, but this would take a long time to complete.
    Can you open the backup and copy files from a running client?
    Olaf
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:44 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi,

I/O error occurred on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Data.4096.51.dat offset 1073725440 during restore.
    that error message in detail could point indeed to a problem on your server (although only the developers may know the real background of such messages). This could be a problem, that a disk is generally inaccessible, that there are failures on the disk or that the backup database is corrupt (which could also be a result of the first two points).
    Maybe you could run chkdsk on each server drive, but this would take a long time to complete.
    Can you open the backup and copy files from a running client?
    Olaf

Okay, I ran chkdsk /r on all of my server drives and again on my desktop drive. The desktop and one server drive reports showed no errors. I'm not sure on the other two drives because the reports closed automatically and were gone when I got home from work. I'm guessing at least one of them indicated errors, but I'm not sure.

I'm about 2 hours into the restore process now without a single error yet. The previous two times I had tons of errors by now, so it looks like it's going to work this time.

Thanks for the help!

A few questions:

1. Any idea why WHS didn't show any problems with the drives? Shouldn't it be able to detect things like this?
    2. Is this indicative of a failing hard drive that needs to be replaced? How would I tell which one(s)?
    3. Shouldn't WHS automatically run chkdsk (and defrag) on all of the drives every month or something? Hopefully this functionality will be in the next version.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:33 AM
  • Restore completed successfully after about 5 hours. I'm up and running again with no problems. Whew! I don't like scares like that.

Anything I can do to avoid this in the future? Should I manually run chkdsk /r on all server drives on a regular basis?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Hi,
    thanks for reporting the outcome.
    From time to time a look into the event logs of the server should be enough to see upcoming issues.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi,
    From time to time a look into the event logs of the server should be enough to see upcoming issues.
    Olaf

Hmm. Well, I guess the part I don't understand is how that would have helped me in this case. The logs were error free (I just checked them) prior to all of the errors that started when I tried to do the restore.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:38 AM
  • Hi Phil,
    sometimes errors only occur, if the data is accessed. WHS does also a regulary chkdsk from time to time, so you would see the issues in the event log. Brand new issues not, of course.

Olaf
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:00 AM