Sync confusion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

After reading all the things on the net I am left totally confused of what I should be doing and using.

I am developing a field service based application in C# which will have a workstation which runs SQL Express 2008 or SQL Compact Edition 3.5 and I will have a PDA with wm5 and SQL Compact Edition 3.5.

I want to develop the database as a SDF file which will be sitting on both the WKStation and PDA. I have few questions

1) If i want to sync my PDA database to my desktop database is MS Sync Framework the right choice and also is Sync with ADO.net the best. If this is the right choice is there a sample that someone can share which will sync data between two sdf files.

2) Is there a possibility that the database can be a non SDF database sitting in SQL Express 2008 and I can have a snapshot of that database as a SDF one (if so how can this be done) and will it be easy to sync the data and tables between them. Any sample would be great.

3) if I am going in the wrong direction please help me see some light

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Trushar

Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Trushar,

Hopefully we can help clear up the confusion for you.  However, first perhaps this paper might help clear up some confusion:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sync/cc470041.aspx

To your specific questions:

1) If you are using Sync Services for ADO.NET from a device then it has to be implemented as what we call an n-tier model.  This means that you would need to have a set of web services on your desktop that would contain our ano.net enabled server provider that then talks to your desktop database.  If you download Sync Services for ADO.NET - Devices you will find a sample field service app (ironically) that implements this.

2) As of right now, the only client database supported by Sync Services for ADO.NET is SQL Compact.  We are working on support for SQL Express client support as well but that likely wont be available till the last half of 2009.  If you do need to support other client database then you certainly can go down a level to the Sync Framework and create your own database provider to support your database.

3) Hopefully I understood your questions correctly.

Liam

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Trushar,

Hopefully we can help clear up the confusion for you.  However, first perhaps this paper might help clear up some confusion:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sync/cc470041.aspx

To your specific questions:

1) If you are using Sync Services for ADO.NET from a device then it has to be implemented as what we call an n-tier model.  This means that you would need to have a set of web services on your desktop that would contain our ano.net enabled server provider that then talks to your desktop database.  If you download Sync Services for ADO.NET - Devices you will find a sample field service app (ironically) that implements this.

2) As of right now, the only client database supported by Sync Services for ADO.NET is SQL Compact.  We are working on support for SQL Express client support as well but that likely wont be available till the last half of 2009.  If you do need to support other client database then you certainly can go down a level to the Sync Framework and create your own database provider to support your database.

3) Hopefully I understood your questions correctly.

Liam

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Hi Liam,

Since your post i could see the light I really went for the solution. I just wanted to clarify one thing from your video which I saw (very educational, thanks for that) called 'Introduction to Sync Services with ADO.net' I tried to do the same thing which was to create a database with three tables user, location and operation in SQL Express. Went in VS and created a test project in C# and then Added the SYnc references to the project. Then I did add new item and created localDataCache.sync in the wizard I located the database test.dbo from the SQL Express and it automatically created a cache test.sdf. But for some reason I was not able to get the ADD button to enable itself. Are there any pre sync configurations that are necessary or I should be using SQL Server Standart instead of Express edition.

I have VS 2008 SP1 Pro
    Sync ADO.net for desktop and device V1.0 and
    SQL Express 2008

Can you please guide me with me Confusion Part 2.

Regards
    Trushar
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 9:57 AM