OEM SystemBuilder Vista Ultimate Disc RRS feed

• Question

• As a serious DIYer who frequently updates major system components like the motherboard and processor and RAM (and the list goes on), am I quite simply (pardon my language) going to be shafted by Microsoft if I buy the OEM System Builders Ultimate DVD?  I've even got a new motherboard lined up to be purchased, but if buying Microsoft Windows means that I can never upgrade my computer again, I'll stay away, thanks.

I KNOW for a fact that I can provide myself my own support (because I give support to others, too), and I can do everything maintenance and support related myself.  If upgrading my motherboard will void my license agreement, I'd be very upset at Microsoft.

With that said, apparently, upgrading major components of my system DOES violate my EULA, and so I am therefore, very upset at Microsoft.
    Can someone explain WHY a new system component constitues a new PC?  For myself (and I believe a VERY large number of other PC enthusiasts), I have NEVER bought a new PC.  I simply, and slowly, upgrade each part as they are needed.

This sounds to me like Microsoft is just trying to make me buy their software over and over again.  I'll admit that I'll never switch to Apple (rest easy, o Microsoft advertiser), but let's be honest, there ARE other ways of getting the Microsoft OS.  I'm trying to do it the legal way here, and it sounds like I'm just going to get screwed in a few months when I upgrade.

-rockerest
    --quite disappointed by my understanding
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 3:02 PM

Answers

• The solution is to purchase a "Full Version" retail edition of a Windows operating system.
    Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    Friday, September 19, 2008 2:42 AM

All replies

• The solution is to purchase a "Full Version" retail edition of a Windows operating system.
    Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    Friday, September 19, 2008 2:42 AM
  • Carey is right; you must purchase a retail version (and not upgrade, unless you have a previous edition, like 2000)

Here's why:

System builder licenses are for people who build systems for others, not themselves,.
    The system builder EULA must be granted to a end-user. You can't really grant the EULA to yourself!

In an retail edition, you can activate by telephone when it needs reactivation after a major component change.
    • Proposed as answer by motherboardlove Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JeniferA Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Hi rockerest,
    The OEM System Builder program is designed for small, local computer resellers who build systems (often custom or in small lots) for customers who a) need custom systems that they cannot get from one of the large OEMs, b) want to support local businesses rather than major corporations, or c) want to purchase from a local company from whom they can get direct support. It is not intended for individuals who build their own PCs.

Upgrading major components does not "violate" your EULA. It does, however, change the composition of your equipment, and depending upon the magnitude of the changes may make it appear to be a different machine. OEM (and OEM System Builder) machines do not typically go through major hardware changes - hence the recommendation that if you plan to frequently change your hardware composition you select a retail version of Windows.

I hope this helps address your questions.

Regards,
    Jenifer

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:42 PM