Beta 2.0 Queries & (cannot open settings) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

Yesterday I installed "Windows Live One Care beta 2" for first time in my Windows Vista and to be honest I found it very good and the interface is really nice.

Since I'm using it first time, I have a few queries:

1. Does it automatically disable "Windows Defender"? It disabled in my system. So it contains some other anti-spyware tool?

2. I can't get access to its "Settings". Whenever I click, on "Change Settings" button, it shows following error:

========
    Cannot Open Settings
    -----------------------------
    Unknown problems are preventing settings from being displayed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, contact support.
    ========

Can some one post which services are required by OneCare? May be I disabled any service, which is causing this "Cannot open Settings" error?

Please reply to my queries. Thanks in advance.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 10:37 AM

Answers

• That's true, after I start all the default services, the function is ok now.

The list follows: (download link)

http://folders.live.com/self.aspx/laJ2sidt9lg/Sun/onecare.csv
    Friday, July 13, 2007 12:50 PM
  • Its happening because of "Printer Spooler" service is not running.
    Open "Services.msc" and make sure "Printer Spooler" service is set to "Automatic" and running.

If its not set to "Automatic" then set it and then restart your system. After restart you'll be able to Change OneCare settings.

But its definitely a bug. Why OneCare depends upon Printer Spooler service while showing "Settings" window?
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 9:17 PM

All replies

• I do think some services are required by Onecare. Also, I disabled some services.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 12:04 PM
  • That's true, after I start all the default services, the function is ok now.

The list follows: (download link)

http://folders.live.com/self.aspx/laJ2sidt9lg/Sun/onecare.csv
    Friday, July 13, 2007 12:50 PM
  • Yes, OneCare disabled Defender as the antispyware protection is included in OneCare.

-steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:25 PM
  • I have tried to start all the services but no benefit. Can anyone please post the list of required services for OneCare, so that I can check whether they are running or not in my system.

Or is there any other reason behind this strange problem?
    Friday, July 13, 2007 8:26 PM
  • check the status of "print spooler", make sure it's started and automatic, if not, reset it and restart your computer
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:56 AM
  • I am also having the same problem.  This is on my Windows xp Home computer, my other two computers that are running Windows xp Pro (one is the HUB PC) are not having this problem.  Is this a known bug.

This had happen before and I re-installed the Beta 2.0 and everything worked well until the tune-up and back-up was done.  Is this what is causing the problem????  And no I did not disable any services on my computer.

Thanks.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:32 PM
  • Ken, there appear to be a few people reporting the "cannot open settings" issue. I don't know the cause.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Thanks Steve, maybe the OC Beta 2.0 team can look into this!  I do not want to keep reinstalling after every tuneup and backup.

Thanks again Steve.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 7:35 PM
  • Its happening because of "Printer Spooler" service is not running.
    Open "Services.msc" and make sure "Printer Spooler" service is set to "Automatic" and running.

If its not set to "Automatic" then set it and then restart your system. After restart you'll be able to Change OneCare settings.

But its definitely a bug. Why OneCare depends upon Printer Spooler service while showing "Settings" window?
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 9:17 PM
  • I dont think it has to do with the print spooler, because I am having the same problem (windows xp) and it will not let me open settings, and the print spooler is enabled.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:20 PM
  • There may be other services that are required.

-steve

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:20 AM
  • It's not the printer spool for me, I have it started and its set to auto.

Dawg.

Monday, July 16, 2007 2:25 AM
  • Well, it would be great if they would list these "services" because the few I have disabled, have nothing in connection to the use of a virus scanner....at least in my point of view. It would also be great if these services were set as dependencies for the windows live one care service...
    Monday, July 16, 2007 2:29 AM
  • I compared my Windows xp pro services to my Windows xp Home and everything that is enabled on the pro is also enabled on the Home version of Windows xp.  I don't think it has anything to do with the Printer Spooler services, I have that enabled and automatic.

This happened right after the tune up and back up both times. The first time this happened I uninstalled OC and then reinstalled it and everything worked fine.  I then run the tuneup and backup again and the problem returned.

If OC depends on some services, I think when OC is installed all disabled services should automatically be enabled!!!

I hope this explains my problem.

Monday, July 16, 2007 5:12 AM
  • Thanks for providing this feedback. OneCare now has printer sharing functionality and that might be causing some dependency that we have not captured.

We will investigate this

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 6:49 AM
  • ^^ Thanks.
    One more thing!
    There should be an option to Permanently turn off "Tune-up" and "Scheduled Scan" in OneCare Settings.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:17 AM
  •  Vishal Gupta wrote:
    ^^ Thanks.
    One more thing!
    There should be an option to Permanently turn off "Tune-up" and "Scheduled Scan" in OneCare Settings.

Different PM, Vishal.

-steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:30 PM
  •  NGarg wrote:

Thanks for providing this feedback. OneCare now has printer sharing functionality and that might be causing some dependency that we have not captured.

We will investigate this

For the record, I am using printer sharing on my 3 computers.

Dawg.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 12:58 AM