Newbie needs help with computer name question on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• One of my very old computers died on the vine last week so I built a new one to take its place. I gave it the same name as the old one so I could connect to my WHS and get the data files off of it that were backed up on it. When I connected it I noticed that the old computer was still on the backup list only greyed out. I got my files from there and restored them to the new computer with no problem. My question is: Can I delete the old grayed out computer without risking the new computer backup sionce they are both the same name? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:52 PM

Answers

• Yes, you should be able to delete the old computer from the list of computers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, February 6, 2009 12:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by dsosb Friday, February 6, 2009 3:37 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 9:24 PM
  • If the new computer runs it's backups successfully and if you are sure, that you will not need any (older than the restored) backed up files of that computer any more, you can go on and clean it out. But this will not bring to much benefit storage wise due to the special storage technology of WHS. So it would not hurt to keep the backups until they fade out naturally according to your selected times.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 11:19 PM

All replies

• Yes, you should be able to delete the old computer from the list of computers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 9:24 PM
  • If the new computer runs it's backups successfully and if you are sure, that you will not need any (older than the restored) backed up files of that computer any more, you can go on and clean it out. But this will not bring to much benefit storage wise due to the special storage technology of WHS. So it would not hurt to keep the backups until they fade out naturally according to your selected times.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 11:19 PM
  • Thanks very much for your replies. I appreciate your help.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 3:38 PM