Snom 3xx with OCS edition firmware RRS feed

• Question

•  

As promised earlier, here are my first impressions:

The phone typically will be flashed with firmware 6.5.x.x  You will have to update it to V7 (this will update the  Bootloader also, thus allowing you to load the OCS edition firmware.) Follow the instructions on this link http://wiki.snom.com/Firmware/V7/Automatic_Update to do so. Make sure you understand the directions before proceed to the update. Once the unit begins the update, go get coffee or something - the unit will reboot several times - you just make sure to leave it alone until the update is complete. Next step is to update to the latest firmware (at least I did).

Once updated, the unit will be ready for OCS firmware. I've been told it will be available openly any time soon, but until then, you have to contact the company. In my case , I have received an answer on the next day and have been in touch ever since.

Now, loading the OCS firmware... Follow the directions (how to manually load firmware) in this link: http://wiki.snom.com/Firmware/V7/7_1 but make sure you load the .bin file you have received from Snom. ***Note: you will have to place the file on web server and make sure the unit can access it - preferably on intranet server...

Your phone will now be updated to OCS firmware and ready for testing within your environment. Follow this guide: http://www.snom.com/en/products/software/how-to-configure-the-snom-ocs-edition/ to enter your environmental settings. ***Note: you will probably receive the latest build (dated today) and will find that some newly added menus are missing from the guide. I believe Snom will fix this any time soon.

I have tested two units (Snom 300) and both perform excellent. Voice quality is exceptional, dialing is based on the selected dial plan, the unit accesses Exchange UM, Polycom CX200 and CX700 on a local and routed subnets. I have still some more testing to do, especially on provisioning side but so far - it has been a pleasant surprise.

One might ask why am I so excided? I have been pushing for migration for the last six months. Our POTS service is expensive - close to $130,000 a year. I found that we have been charged $600 for... cable repair i.e. someone kick the cable under the desk and the phone company "repaired" the wall jack... However, with 400 "phone users" in 5 cities migration based on T1/E1 gateways and Polycom CX700 is "wishful thinking"! Even if we can save 60% per year, the deployment cost does not justify it.  $160,000 for phones alone?!? Plus servers, gateways, trunks. Now it is all new ball game. We have affordable endpoint that does the job and if upcoming R2 is a bit more "provider" friendly, we can see a big development in OCS telephony deployment.

Drago

Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Drago,

Have to agree with you on the CX700 being an expensive option. Thanks for the update on your deployment. When building your business dont forget to include soft saving like productivity improvements, hardware savings are typically not a big draw card. Toll bypass and productivity is where the cost benifits are. ROI is always a difficult calculation to get right with these types of deployments. Hard to put a price on 20 minutes of users time you have just saved through deploying technology when the accountants are looking for hard savings in hardware.

Cheers

Chris

Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Chris,

Productivity (or rather loss of productivity) often is considered "intangible" within the middle layer of management. For example, my VP tells me: "I cannot go to the President, request $250,000 and justify the expense with "Let me tell you how much time your employees will save due to a futures like presence and conference calling! If, however, I can show substantial savings in dollars per period - that's another story..." Unfortunately, every one of us experienced this scenario one way or another. In my case, for years no one paid attention on the phone bill. Because I was working quietly on my pet project since the beginning of 2008, one thing I did was to evaluate the phone bill for the Institution (we are college located in Middle Georgia) and once my VP look at the monthly bill, he ran to the President and 30 min. later I was under the well familiar to you all task: "Make it happen NOW!"

Oh well, there is much to consider... Hate to bring this, but a walk through the Business Office reveals a sad truth - full with women in their forties and fifties which rather skip the Sunday's church than dial a phone number via the computer keyboard. 70% of the users are... college teachers. Same story! Remember, down here the folks still says "Ya'll" and think Billy Ray Cyrus is the greatest country star ever!  This rules out CX200 right away. CX700 is a no go due to the high price...

In my situation Snom is the only way to "make this happen".

First - the price. For relatively small quantity you can get price of... well, ask them and you shall receive... Second - the psychological effect is practically nonexistent. "Ah, I have a new phone!" That's about it.

Of course, high end CPE does have its place - executives. I'm sure they will love it!

Drago

Friday, November 21, 2008 1:04 AM
  • Hi Drago,

you can't imagine how good it feels to read your comment's about snom's OCS edition. I share your point of view. Every "real world environment" needs a task-oriented mix of phone-endpoints. Even this little 6-day example. Microsoft itself does not want to see Tanjay or a Laptop with Catalina in the kitchens or storage rooms at the booth. Also a good dect and fax-solution was demanded.

I am happy to see this progress like your case, as someone who was involved in snom's Open Communications Solution from the first second.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. You will found your way to "make this happen".

What comes next?: snom and konftel into partnership. Imagine this but snom OCS powered instead of USB. Cant wait to see this in real :)

1) btw: your comment "high end CPE does have its place - executives", reminds me of the movie Iron Man. You will see a CPE aka Tanjay on Tony Stark's Desk (but not logged in), when Pepper Potts is searching for the iron monger files.

2) btw: In this movie here you can see a snom 370 OCS edition phone on Jamie Stark’s (Microsoft OCS Technical Product Manager) Desk when he is showing the new OCS2007 R2 Attendant.

Best regards,

Jan

Saturday, November 22, 2008 5:06 AM
  • Jan,

You mentioned on Matt McGillen's blog that the Snom 3XX and 820 phones are OCS ready.

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/mcgillen_matt/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=55

I have the 12.11.2008 (November 12) version of the OCS Edition firmware and it only has 3XX firmware images. Is there a specific version of the firmware for the 820? Do I need to request this seperately from Tim Koehler?

Thanks,

Jamie Schwinn

www.systmsny.net

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Jamie,

I should get my 820 tomorrow and will check for OCS beta firmware then - the last time I asked they had not yet synced both product lines for beta. That may have changed in the meantime. Just like Jan I'm around the corner to Snom so we will get more information on that quickly. Tim is currently travelling and not online every day.

Regards,

Johann

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:23 PM
  •  

Below is a partial quote from an email I've received from Oliver Witting with SNOM last Saturday:

"A new one with failover on not registered accounts and a few ice improvements comes within the next week."

Drago

Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Hi Jamie, Johann & Drago,

yes, there is a Snom 820 OCS edition firmware, but I don't have it Sad My latest is from yesterday snom3XX-r73ocs-wbc1209.

Oliver is traveling too. He is @ AudioCodes HQ to investigate if Stand Alone Survivabilty - SAS is possible with Snom OCS Edition's.

Maybe it's possible to get Branch Survivability for OCS-Phone Devices NOW !  Smile Wouldn't it be fantastic? Smile

Best regards,

Jan

Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:22 PM
  •  Jan Boguslawski wrote:

Oliver is traveling too. He is @ AudioCodes HQ to investigate if Stand Alone Survivabilty - SAS is possible with Snom OCS Edition's.

Maybe it's possible to get Branch Survivability for OCS-Phone Devices NOW !  Smile Wouldn't it be fantastic? Smile

When he's back I will show him that feature by using our OfficeMaster gateways

Johann

Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:27 PM
  • WoW, thats definitely a good news! So, the Office Master GW can be a Proxy / Registrar too? Great!

Best regards

Jan

Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:31 PM