none
Which ISP you got ? RRS feed

• Question

• Guys please let us know the ISP that you guys are subscribed to and what plan, and also now much you pay monthly.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:29 PM

Answers

• To start off, here are my ISP details

BSNL - DataOne broadband
    Scheme : Home-500
    Monthly Rs 500 + tax
    Download speed : 256kbps to 2mbps
    Upload seed  : 460kbps
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:31 PM
  • If you guys want, you can also post the speed test reports and/or links also.
  • Its BSNL DATA ONE for me, home-250 plan, i must say that, this bsnl guys have brought a revolution in the broadband market, by outcasting all the private broadband providers.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Yes friend, i agree with you.

right now BSNL  is the best ISP and the cheapest that you can get. Its also damn stable. In 2 years, the internet was down only 2 times and that too not more than 15-20 minuets.

Just see how stable it is. And also about the speed, i am getting the promised speeds. no compromise what so ever.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:26 AM
  • exactly, BSNL, has come back into the competitive world by launching the two most powerful packages 1)BSNL DATA ONE 2) LANDLINE 111rs (BSNL_BSNL free calling)

The only place where they lag behind, is their GSM mobile services.

Anyways i have heard that TRAI, has passed the order to reduce the fees of broadband by 15%. When is BSNL taking this order into effect?. Also i read in the newspaper that by 2009, broadband would become free. now thats a delight for us broadband users.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 6:50 AM
  • Yes anoop, even i have read on some online news, that 2mbps will become free by 2009 Smile i will wait for that Smile

And also i have heard some rumor that by paying 222 per month, calls from bsnl -> bsnl (all over india) will be free Stick out tongue

lets wait and see whether its really a rumor or it has some truth in it.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 7:20 AM
  • well if it has any truth then bsnl customers are at advantage and they are going to attract a lot of consumers towards them and increase their business..
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 10:10 PM
  • Man the only problem with BSNL Broadband is that, the employees there are the old Baabus. They have not much knowledge about this aspect Sad Also they are slow in getting you a connection while in case of private players, they give you the new connection within 1-2 days.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 6:07 AM
  • exactly...i agree with you harshil...the connection process takes so long....and the people are all government you see...anyways, i had to setup the modem for the connection, so i just thought of calling the BSNL technician, rather than doing it myself[lazy]...but when he came, he was all lost and didnt know what to do, and just he reached at the wrong conclusion that the modem is faulty....but immediately after he went, i fixed it myself, with the settings and alll...

so i think they  surely need to improve on customer service and on less waiting time...

Friday, May 4, 2007 8:36 PM
  • Same thing happened at my place m8. After i fixed the problem, the BSNL babu became a fan of me, and noted down my number in his diary. He also called me 2-3 times when he  came to install broadband in my neighbors place Smile
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 5:01 AM
  • oh really?....lol.....
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 8:15 PM
  • I have recently opted for the BSNL Data One Home 250 plan. No regrets till now, and am very happy with the service. Hope they keep up the good work.
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 10:01 PM
  • I am sure that you will loves bsnl's stability, uptime and also speed occourse Smile
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 6:55 AM
  •  Anoop_Mehta_056d33 wrote:
    oh really?....lol.....

Yes m8 its true, i aint bluffing Smile
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 6:57 AM
  • Ive got BSNL and im in home 500 plan...
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:53 PM
  • I am using the 800 plan in Airtel, speed is constant and i dont have any complaints so far. Do you think i should take a BSNL connection? A friend of mine had a billing problem with BSNL.
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:09 PM
  • i have also got BSNL home plan of 500 Rs. i heard that they have interduced a new offer for 500rs scheme i.e. free in night time (as one of my friend told). is that true guys????
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:17 PM
  • HI To start off, here are my ISP details

BSNL - DataOne broadband
    Monthly Rs 500 + tax

Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:38 PM
  •  Sunil_Raj_fd640cmscomforums wrote:
    i have also got BSNL home plan of 500 Rs. i heard that they have interduced a new offer for 500rs scheme i.e. free in night time (as one of my friend told). is that true guys????

yes its true. the home 500 plan, offers 2.5 gb of data transfer free evry month + night unlimited surfing from 2am-8am [the timings are awkward, but geeks do go for it]

Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:46 PM
  •  Harshil_Patel_03b5f2 wrote:
     Anoop_Mehta_056d33 wrote:
    oh really?....lol.....

Yes m8 its true, i aint bluffing

no no..i didnt mean that....yaar, was just surprised...:-?

Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:48 PM
  • Tnx for ur information Anoop
    Monday, May 7, 2007 2:53 AM
  • @Raman - That was a copy paste of my post Smile but np, its good to see many dataone subscribers here Wink
    Monday, May 7, 2007 9:04 AM
  • Wow, judging by the testimonials, i am seriously planning to change my isp from airtel to bsnl. What do you suggest?
    Monday, May 7, 2007 9:31 AM
  • I guess you should switch to bsnl ... it also got a good night unlimited scheme, you can download around 4.7GB during ONE night free time .

also bsnl is stable , never faced any problems.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 10:05 AM
  • I feel BSNL is the best due to their service and reliability...
    Monday, May 7, 2007 3:06 PM
  • I agree with you Jayakumar.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 4:05 AM
  • I want to buy a wireless internet connection for my laptop. I checked with Reliace, but it is too costly. Any suggestion?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Yes m8, reliance is costly, But i suggest you to take a airtel card, and use internet from your mobile after getting internet activated ( The service is called Mobile Office). I think  its about 15 or 20 Rs. for 24 hours.

So its cheaper, and also you can activate mobile office only when you want to .

And one more thing, your mobile should support it Smile
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 6:26 PM
  • thanks for the info. But what speeds do they provide?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 8:02 PM
  • The speeds are 256kbps to 2mbps. If you are not too far that i about 1.5 Km away from the exchange, you will get the promised speeds . the main advantage is that its always realiable, and also stable Smile. I have never faced any speed or disconnection problem.

My house is less than around 750mts from the exchange .
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 5:11 AM
  • even i get a constant speed of around 200KBps and dont have any connection issues...so i feel bsnl is the best...
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:24 PM
  • Same here m8, even i get speeds around 220-234kBps (KiloBytes) without any problems . BSNL rockx.
    I guess it should be awarded a "ISP Rockstar" Title Smile hehehehe
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:58 PM
    The speeds are 256kbps to 2mbps. If you are not too far that i about 1.5 Km away from the exchange, you will get the promised speeds . the main advantage is that its always realiable, and also stable Smile. I have never faced any speed or disconnection problem.

r u talking about MOBILE SPEEDS?

Hey, AIRTEL MOBILE OFFICE SPEEDS offer much much less speeds, i called the customer care for gprs department and they told me that for mobile office browsing speed is, 35-40kbps[max] and downloading speed is 4-6kbps[max]...i have even tried this mobile office package on my phone as i am an airtel subscriber, and the above statistics[figures] which i got from gprs department are ture......

I think if airtel could have provided 2mbps speed in their mobile office package then there was no need of braodband......but thats not that case

Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:19 PM
  • One more question, came to my mind regardinf airtel mobile office?.....staying in a metro like mumbai , does it make any difference on the speeds?...i mean a person browsing from gujarat and a person browsing in mumbai?...will they have same speeds or speeds with different intensities?
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:22 PM
  • To be frank, the speed in Airtel's "Mobile Office " scheme, differs from mobile to mobile. Also it depends on how powerful the network is around your place. It dont matter whether its in mumbai or in gujarat. It all depends on the mobile that you are using and the strength of the network signal  around your area.

The reason why i am saying that the speed depends on the mobile, is because different mobiles have different modems inside them working at different speed and capacity. Also my friends have really faced this speed difference problem. At the same location when two different mobiles was tried, the speed on one of the mobile was faster than the other. I think high end mobiles have good modems inside them which will fetch you faster speed.

Now one thing also has to be taken into consideration, the Internet speed provided by airtel through Mobile office is Fixed. Its upto your mobile whether it can work on the max speed provided by airtel or not.

I hope its clear to you now.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 6:10 AM

The speeds are 256kbps to 2mbps. If you are not too far that i about 1.5 Km away from the exchange, you will get the promised speeds . the main advantage is that its always realiable, and also stable Smile. I have never faced any speed or disconnection problem.

My house is less than around 750mts from the exchange

Hey, AIRTEL MOBILE OFFICE SPEEDS offer much much less speeds, i called the customer care for gprs department and they told me that for mobile office browsing speed is, 35-40kbps[max] and downloading speed is 4-6kbps[max]...i have even tried this mobile office package on my phone as i am an airtel subscriber, and the above statistics[figures] which i got from gprs department are ture......

I think if airtel could have provided 2mbps speed in their mobile office package then there was no need of braodband......but thats not that case

@Anoop - In that post i was talking about the BSNL Dataone broadband speed Wink
    Friday, May 11, 2007 6:15 AM
  • I have got Airtel broadband connection..

Plan : Rs.250

Top up  : Rs . 100 (For night unlimited usage, i.e from 9 pm to 8 am)

Free download limit : 400 MB

The main reason why i went for the airtel plan were

1) the unlimited night usage scheme..

2) Free Subscription to McAfee Antivirus and Antispam for one year

Friday, May 11, 2007 4:39 PM
  • Yes thats good. at 350 you get 400 + night unlimtied.
    But only 400 mb limit.

In BSNL you can get 1GB for rs 250./ But no night unlimited.

I guess if you want night unlimited, and good broadband experience during the day Home-500 is the best plan of BSNL, and i think there is no airtel plan that can beat the home-500 plan of dataone Wink

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:03 PM
  • ya u r right...Home 500 in bsnl is far way better than the unlimited plans...
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:22 AM
  • But the timings for the unlimited usage in 500 plan of BSNL seems unearthly (2am to 8 am)....

Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:15 PM
  • Will surely jump to BSNL if they extend the unlimited usage time as from 9pm to 9am
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:17 PM
  • Hey, i know that the night unlimited timings are awkward, but that doesn;t mean that you have to be in front of the PC during that time when you start the downloads. You can always schedule the tasks, so that the modem connects after 2am, and disconnect before 8am. Also you can queue the stuffs that you want to download in either a download manager. Most of the download managers support scheduling so you can schedule downloads also.

What more do you want Smile

There are also ways to turn on the pc at a specified time and shutdown at a specified time.
    To turn on the PC at a specific time, your motherboard BIOS needs to support it. You can use a software that will shutdown the pc at the time you schedule.
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:03 PM
  • @harshil - i am really sure about airtel speeds and i really dont think that they provide 2mbps speed, i have seen on a less featured mobile and a very well featured{latest} mobile....the speeds do vary, but they have never been near 256kbps, noteven a frisker near it....

@raghuram - i totally agree with harshil that 2-8 can be utilised....and u should change yaar, come join the bsnl gang man,,,.dont wait for 9-9, because what u download from 9-9 in airtel, you can downlkoad twice the same amount in bsnl frm 2-8, may be thrice the same amount...

if you check out the bsnl website, they have a motto to increase the broadband speeds utp8mbps, thats their target, so customers will always benefit..so do not worry, right now its 2mbps, we r waiting when it will become 8mbps...

Sunday, May 13, 2007 5:36 PM
  • @anoop - I think airtel provides max 112 or 128 kbps on the mobile office scheme.
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:47 PM
  • yes, i think so....and the best might be achieved from nearer distances...
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 8:01 PM
  • ISP = TATA VSNL
    Plan = 64 Unlimited Home
    Rate = 425 + tax @ p.m.
    Usage = Unlimited 24 HRS
    Speed = 64 Kbps

Now the rate is 435 + tax, but if you pay for 6 months its comes to 435, everything included p.m.
    This is the best plan for low cost unlimited usage....

Now the reason i say so is that, i need a full time connectivity and that too without any limit.. though the speed may sound slow, but they are upto their words and speed id pure...

They provided routers instead of modems, which enhance the performance... like for surfing, you wont find a difference in the 64 Kb speed or 256 Kb.... its only the download that gets slow, only 8-9 KB ps.....

But i have observed that i usually use up around 60-70 MB per day, also downloading and updating stuffs....

so pm i use around 1500 MB.. so 1 gb is not enough for me.. and the 250 Rs plan is out of scope...

other plan is 500 but +60 for modem +60 tax... which is 620 against my 430 TATA paln which is unlimited....
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 11:48 PM
  • @Varun - I think if you buy the router from them, then you will only have to pay about 120 bucks more every month. Your usual usage is 60-70 mb, with home-500 you get 2.5gb per month and that is around 85 mb per day. and also night unlimited if you wish to get heavy downloads.
    Monday, May 14, 2007 3:24 AM
  • hathway
    Monday, May 14, 2007 6:20 AM
  • In any case i will be paying 200 bucks extra for it.. every penny counts... and i m waiting for some time.. things are going to change drastically soon in the broadband market.. so by that time tata is good..
    Monday, May 14, 2007 9:44 AM
  • always bsnl is the best

Monday, May 14, 2007 3:00 PM
  • varun the tata plan is the same as airtel and sify broadband plans, ..infact sify broadband 64kbps unlimited plans are cheapers, they are aroound 365rs + tax...

but since u r already spending 435rs every month, then spend 75 rs more and get bsnl 500 home plan as harshil suggested, its always advantageous....

Monday, May 14, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Alrite people.. rite now i hv paid in advance.. when time comes to renew the plan, I will try to look for BSNL
    Also i have heard about You-Tell, its coming to ahmedabad.. anyone knows about it???
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:26 AM
  • @Varun - I am sure you will like BSNL  Dataone Smile
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:19 AM
  •  Varun_Modi_a59ed9 wrote:
    Alrite people.. rite now i hv paid in advance.. when time comes to renew the plan, I will try to look for BSNL
    Also i have heard about You-Tell, its coming to ahmedabad.. anyone knows about it???

ya you telecom, they advertise a lot in times of india...even they are claiming that we will provide speeds op 2mbps and not upto 2mbps...its interesting to wait and see what they have to offer both interms of speed and MONEY.....

apart, these competitons are always good, because atlast we are the ones who are benefitted ;-)

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:25 PM
  • Guys, i think noone can beat BSNL in the internet. Even when competitions increase, still BSNL will be the most cheapest of all.

Take the example of the dial-up internet, which other internet provides cheaper rates than BSNL.... there was lot of competition from other players as well, still it was not as cheap as bsnl.

While i used to buy Rs 500 plan for 100 hours from BSNL, D2V internet  was selling 100 hours for about 1000 Rs. and satyam for about more than that.

Even now, with airtel broadband, bsnl is much cheaper than its alternatives, also its much more stable and gives the promised speeds.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:42 AM
    Guys, i think noone can beat BSNL in the internet. Even when competitions increase, still BSNL will be the most cheapest of all.

Take the example of the dial-up internet, which other internet provides cheaper rates than BSNL.... there was lot of competition from other players as well, still it was not as cheap as bsnl.

While i used to buy Rs 500 plan for 100 hours from BSNL, D2V internet was selling 100 hours for about 1000 Rs. and satyam for about more than that.

Even now, with airtel broadband, bsnl is much cheaper than its alternatives, also its much more stable and gives the promised speeds.

Will like to correct u a bit here... if you compare the overall cost i.e. the total cost that u pay to get a bsnl connection just for broadband, than all the players are at same rate...

let me explain how... we forget that we already have a bsnl landline connection.. assuming u dont have a landline connection.. now to get a broadband, you have to get a landline connection and a min plan which is of 180 rs.....

So you see that the rates of bsnl seem to be cheaper because we forget that we already have a landline and that is the strength of bsnl, it has a huge customer base.....
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:34 AM
  • i agree with you Varun. But almost everyone has a landline who can afford internet. (except those who live in a rented room or a hostel etc etc) So for the home-users, bsnl is really the best in terms of cost and money. And yes because its a large telecom company and huge customer base. Thats where the power lies.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:05 PM
  • Hi friend,

Plan : BSNL HOME 900
    unlimited Download ...
    Speed : 256 kbps ...

Thank you

Regards ,
    MoHaN
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:56 AM
  • exactly harshil and varun....and bsnl has maintained their huge customer bae because of the three reasons

1. they are First telecom provider in india since the very beginning

2. rs 111 -- b2b free scheme

3. broadband

Friday, May 18, 2007 11:06 AM
  • also Anoop add these points to urs...
    * they provide consistent service...
    * its available in almost all parts of india...
    Friday, May 18, 2007 4:18 PM
  • Of all what i liked the most is their reliability, stability and the most, promised speeds 100% of the time.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 4:16 PM
  • BSNL seems to be the clear winner ( low-cost, high speed )... I'll switch to BSNL in the near future...
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:06 PM
  • I support your decision Raghuram.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:49 PM
  • i will surely those points jayakumar..nice points there
    Monday, May 21, 2007 1:28 PM

All replies

• To start off, here are my ISP details

BSNL - DataOne broadband
    Monthly Rs 500 + tax
  • If you guys want, you can also post the speed test reports and/or links also.
  • Its BSNL DATA ONE for me, home-250 plan, i must say that, this bsnl guys have brought a revolution in the broadband market, by outcasting all the private broadband providers.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Yes friend, i agree with you.

right now BSNL  is the best ISP and the cheapest that you can get. Its also damn stable. In 2 years, the internet was down only 2 times and that too not more than 15-20 minuets.

Just see how stable it is. And also about the speed, i am getting the promised speeds. no compromise what so ever.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:26 AM
  • exactly, BSNL, has come back into the competitive world by launching the two most powerful packages 1)BSNL DATA ONE 2) LANDLINE 111rs (BSNL_BSNL free calling)

The only place where they lag behind, is their GSM mobile services.

Anyways i have heard that TRAI, has passed the order to reduce the fees of broadband by 15%. When is BSNL taking this order into effect?. Also i read in the newspaper that by 2009, broadband would become free. now thats a delight for us broadband users.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 6:50 AM
  • Yes anoop, even i have read on some online news, that 2mbps will become free by 2009 Smile i will wait for that Smile

And also i have heard some rumor that by paying 222 per month, calls from bsnl -> bsnl (all over india) will be free Stick out tongue

lets wait and see whether its really a rumor or it has some truth in it.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 7:20 AM
  • well if it has any truth then bsnl customers are at advantage and they are going to attract a lot of consumers towards them and increase their business..
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 10:10 PM
  • Man the only problem with BSNL Broadband is that, the employees there are the old Baabus. They have not much knowledge about this aspect Sad Also they are slow in getting you a connection while in case of private players, they give you the new connection within 1-2 days.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 6:07 AM
  • exactly...i agree with you harshil...the connection process takes so long....and the people are all government you see...anyways, i had to setup the modem for the connection, so i just thought of calling the BSNL technician, rather than doing it myself[lazy]...but when he came, he was all lost and didnt know what to do, and just he reached at the wrong conclusion that the modem is faulty....but immediately after he went, i fixed it myself, with the settings and alll...

so i think they  surely need to improve on customer service and on less waiting time...

Friday, May 4, 2007 8:36 PM
  • Same thing happened at my place m8. After i fixed the problem, the BSNL babu became a fan of me, and noted down my number in his diary. He also called me 2-3 times when he  came to install broadband in my neighbors place Smile
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 5:01 AM
  • oh really?....lol.....
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 8:15 PM
  • I have recently opted for the BSNL Data One Home 250 plan. No regrets till now, and am very happy with the service. Hope they keep up the good work.
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 10:01 PM
  • I am sure that you will loves bsnl's stability, uptime and also speed occourse Smile
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 6:55 AM
    oh really?....lol.....

Yes m8 its true, i aint bluffing Smile
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 6:57 AM
  • Ive got BSNL and im in home 500 plan...
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:53 PM
  • I am using the 800 plan in Airtel, speed is constant and i dont have any complaints so far. Do you think i should take a BSNL connection? A friend of mine had a billing problem with BSNL.
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:09 PM
  • i have also got BSNL home plan of 500 Rs. i heard that they have interduced a new offer for 500rs scheme i.e. free in night time (as one of my friend told). is that true guys????
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:17 PM
  • HI To start off, here are my ISP details

BSNL - DataOne broadband
    Monthly Rs 500 + tax

Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:38 PM
  •  Sunil_Raj_fd640cmscomforums wrote:
    i have also got BSNL home plan of 500 Rs. i heard that they have interduced a new offer for 500rs scheme i.e. free in night time (as one of my friend told). is that true guys????

yes its true. the home 500 plan, offers 2.5 gb of data transfer free evry month + night unlimited surfing from 2am-8am [the timings are awkward, but geeks do go for it]

Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:46 PM
     Anoop_Mehta_056d33 wrote:
    oh really?....lol.....

Yes m8 its true, i aint bluffing

no no..i didnt mean that....yaar, was just surprised...:-?

Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:48 PM
  • Tnx for ur information Anoop
    Monday, May 7, 2007 2:53 AM
  • @Raman - That was a copy paste of my post Smile but np, its good to see many dataone subscribers here Wink
    Monday, May 7, 2007 9:04 AM
  • Wow, judging by the testimonials, i am seriously planning to change my isp from airtel to bsnl. What do you suggest?
    Monday, May 7, 2007 9:31 AM
  • I guess you should switch to bsnl ... it also got a good night unlimited scheme, you can download around 4.7GB during ONE night free time .

also bsnl is stable , never faced any problems.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 10:05 AM
  • I feel BSNL is the best due to their service and reliability...
    Monday, May 7, 2007 3:06 PM
  • I agree with you Jayakumar.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 4:05 AM
  • I want to buy a wireless internet connection for my laptop. I checked with Reliace, but it is too costly. Any suggestion?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Yes m8, reliance is costly, But i suggest you to take a airtel card, and use internet from your mobile after getting internet activated ( The service is called Mobile Office). I think  its about 15 or 20 Rs. for 24 hours.

So its cheaper, and also you can activate mobile office only when you want to .

And one more thing, your mobile should support it Smile
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 6:26 PM
  • thanks for the info. But what speeds do they provide?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 8:02 PM
  • The speeds are 256kbps to 2mbps. If you are not too far that i about 1.5 Km away from the exchange, you will get the promised speeds . the main advantage is that its always realiable, and also stable Smile. I have never faced any speed or disconnection problem.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 5:11 AM
  • even i get a constant speed of around 200KBps and dont have any connection issues...so i feel bsnl is the best...
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:24 PM
  • Same here m8, even i get speeds around 220-234kBps (KiloBytes) without any problems . BSNL rockx.
    I guess it should be awarded a "ISP Rockstar" Title Smile hehehehe
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:58 PM

Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:19 PM
  • One more question, came to my mind regardinf airtel mobile office?.....staying in a metro like mumbai , does it make any difference on the speeds?...i mean a person browsing from gujarat and a person browsing in mumbai?...will they have same speeds or speeds with different intensities?
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:22 PM
  • To be frank, the speed in Airtel's "Mobile Office " scheme, differs from mobile to mobile. Also it depends on how powerful the network is around your place. It dont matter whether its in mumbai or in gujarat. It all depends on the mobile that you are using and the strength of the network signal  around your area.

The reason why i am saying that the speed depends on the mobile, is because different mobiles have different modems inside them working at different speed and capacity. Also my friends have really faced this speed difference problem. At the same location when two different mobiles was tried, the speed on one of the mobile was faster than the other. I think high end mobiles have good modems inside them which will fetch you faster speed.

Now one thing also has to be taken into consideration, the Internet speed provided by airtel through Mobile office is Fixed. Its upto your mobile whether it can work on the max speed provided by airtel or not.

I hope its clear to you now.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 6:10 AM

My house is less than around 750mts from the exchange

@Anoop - In that post i was talking about the BSNL Dataone broadband speed Wink
    Friday, May 11, 2007 6:15 AM
  • I have got Airtel broadband connection..

Plan : Rs.250

Top up  : Rs . 100 (For night unlimited usage, i.e from 9 pm to 8 am)

Free download limit : 400 MB

The main reason why i went for the airtel plan were

1) the unlimited night usage scheme..

2) Free Subscription to McAfee Antivirus and Antispam for one year

Friday, May 11, 2007 4:39 PM
  • Yes thats good. at 350 you get 400 + night unlimtied.
    But only 400 mb limit.

In BSNL you can get 1GB for rs 250./ But no night unlimited.

I guess if you want night unlimited, and good broadband experience during the day Home-500 is the best plan of BSNL, and i think there is no airtel plan that can beat the home-500 plan of dataone Wink

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:03 PM
  • ya u r right...Home 500 in bsnl is far way better than the unlimited plans...
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:22 AM
  • But the timings for the unlimited usage in 500 plan of BSNL seems unearthly (2am to 8 am)....

Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:15 PM
  • Will surely jump to BSNL if they extend the unlimited usage time as from 9pm to 9am
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:17 PM
  • Hey, i know that the night unlimited timings are awkward, but that doesn;t mean that you have to be in front of the PC during that time when you start the downloads. You can always schedule the tasks, so that the modem connects after 2am, and disconnect before 8am. Also you can queue the stuffs that you want to download in either a download manager. Most of the download managers support scheduling so you can schedule downloads also.

What more do you want Smile

There are also ways to turn on the pc at a specified time and shutdown at a specified time.
    To turn on the PC at a specific time, your motherboard BIOS needs to support it. You can use a software that will shutdown the pc at the time you schedule.
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:03 PM
  • @harshil - i am really sure about airtel speeds and i really dont think that they provide 2mbps speed, i have seen on a less featured mobile and a very well featured{latest} mobile....the speeds do vary, but they have never been near 256kbps, noteven a frisker near it....

@raghuram - i totally agree with harshil that 2-8 can be utilised....and u should change yaar, come join the bsnl gang man,,,.dont wait for 9-9, because what u download from 9-9 in airtel, you can downlkoad twice the same amount in bsnl frm 2-8, may be thrice the same amount...

if you check out the bsnl website, they have a motto to increase the broadband speeds utp8mbps, thats their target, so customers will always benefit..so do not worry, right now its 2mbps, we r waiting when it will become 8mbps...

Sunday, May 13, 2007 5:36 PM
  • @anoop - I think airtel provides max 112 or 128 kbps on the mobile office scheme.
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:47 PM
  • yes, i think so....and the best might be achieved from nearer distances...
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 8:01 PM
  • ISP = TATA VSNL
    Plan = 64 Unlimited Home
    Rate = 425 + tax @ p.m.
    Usage = Unlimited 24 HRS
    Speed = 64 Kbps

Now the rate is 435 + tax, but if you pay for 6 months its comes to 435, everything included p.m.
    This is the best plan for low cost unlimited usage....

Now the reason i say so is that, i need a full time connectivity and that too without any limit.. though the speed may sound slow, but they are upto their words and speed id pure...

They provided routers instead of modems, which enhance the performance... like for surfing, you wont find a difference in the 64 Kb speed or 256 Kb.... its only the download that gets slow, only 8-9 KB ps.....

But i have observed that i usually use up around 60-70 MB per day, also downloading and updating stuffs....

so pm i use around 1500 MB.. so 1 gb is not enough for me.. and the 250 Rs plan is out of scope...

other plan is 500 but +60 for modem +60 tax... which is 620 against my 430 TATA paln which is unlimited....
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 11:48 PM
  • @Varun - I think if you buy the router from them, then you will only have to pay about 120 bucks more every month. Your usual usage is 60-70 mb, with home-500 you get 2.5gb per month and that is around 85 mb per day. and also night unlimited if you wish to get heavy downloads.
    Monday, May 14, 2007 3:24 AM
  • hathway
    Monday, May 14, 2007 6:20 AM
  • In any case i will be paying 200 bucks extra for it.. every penny counts... and i m waiting for some time.. things are going to change drastically soon in the broadband market.. so by that time tata is good..
    Monday, May 14, 2007 9:44 AM
  • always bsnl is the best

Monday, May 14, 2007 3:00 PM
  • varun the tata plan is the same as airtel and sify broadband plans, ..infact sify broadband 64kbps unlimited plans are cheapers, they are aroound 365rs + tax...

but since u r already spending 435rs every month, then spend 75 rs more and get bsnl 500 home plan as harshil suggested, its always advantageous....

Monday, May 14, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Alrite people.. rite now i hv paid in advance.. when time comes to renew the plan, I will try to look for BSNL
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:26 AM
  • @Varun - I am sure you will like BSNL  Dataone Smile
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:19 AM
  •  Varun_Modi_a59ed9 wrote:
    Alrite people.. rite now i hv paid in advance.. when time comes to renew the plan, I will try to look for BSNL

ya you telecom, they advertise a lot in times of india...even they are claiming that we will provide speeds op 2mbps and not upto 2mbps...its interesting to wait and see what they have to offer both interms of speed and MONEY.....

apart, these competitons are always good, because atlast we are the ones who are benefitted ;-)

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:25 PM
  • Guys, i think noone can beat BSNL in the internet. Even when competitions increase, still BSNL will be the most cheapest of all.

While i used to buy Rs 500 plan for 100 hours from BSNL, D2V internet  was selling 100 hours for about 1000 Rs. and satyam for about more than that.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:42 AM
    Guys, i think noone can beat BSNL in the internet. Even when competitions increase, still BSNL will be the most cheapest of all.

While i used to buy Rs 500 plan for 100 hours from BSNL, D2V internet was selling 100 hours for about 1000 Rs. and satyam for about more than that.

Will like to correct u a bit here... if you compare the overall cost i.e. the total cost that u pay to get a bsnl connection just for broadband, than all the players are at same rate...

let me explain how... we forget that we already have a bsnl landline connection.. assuming u dont have a landline connection.. now to get a broadband, you have to get a landline connection and a min plan which is of 180 rs.....

So you see that the rates of bsnl seem to be cheaper because we forget that we already have a landline and that is the strength of bsnl, it has a huge customer base.....
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:34 AM
  • i agree with you Varun. But almost everyone has a landline who can afford internet. (except those who live in a rented room or a hostel etc etc) So for the home-users, bsnl is really the best in terms of cost and money. And yes because its a large telecom company and huge customer base. Thats where the power lies.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:05 PM
  • Hi friend,

Plan : BSNL HOME 900
    unlimited Download ...
    Speed : 256 kbps ...

Thank you

Regards ,
    MoHaN
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:56 AM
  • exactly harshil and varun....and bsnl has maintained their huge customer bae because of the three reasons

1. they are First telecom provider in india since the very beginning

2. rs 111 -- b2b free scheme

3. broadband

Friday, May 18, 2007 11:06 AM
  • also Anoop add these points to urs...
    * they provide consistent service...
    * its available in almost all parts of india...
    Friday, May 18, 2007 4:18 PM
  • Of all what i liked the most is their reliability, stability and the most, promised speeds 100% of the time.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 4:16 PM
  • BSNL seems to be the clear winner ( low-cost, high speed )... I'll switch to BSNL in the near future...
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:06 PM
  • I support your decision Raghuram.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:49 PM
  • i will surely those points jayakumar..nice points there
    Monday, May 21, 2007 1:28 PM