OCS Video Call/Conference RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I just want to confirm if I want to use video call/conference function, are the OCS 2007 standard edition deployment and Office Communicator 2007 with Camera enough?

Or I need to deploy other server roles and Live Meeting? I just want to test this function in a testing LAN environment.

I searched the key word 'video call' and found some of the posts mentioned about Live Meeting, so I wonder if Live Meeting is a must for this function.

Thanks very much for your reply.
    Alvin
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:29 AM

Answers

• The STD Edition has all roles hosted on the box

Also Audio&Video conferencing is installed by default on STD Edition

So no other servers are required on the LAN

There is a difference between Video Call and Live Meeting with Video

Video call can be done via Communicator and you can upgrade to video conference by inviting users so that total is more than 2

If a video call is between 2 users it is peer to peer, once more than 2 it converts to video conference

Live Meeting video can also be done via STD Edition but Live Meeting client is required and is allways connected to video conferencing mcu

Hope this clears up some things?
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:07 PM

All replies

• The STD Edition has all roles hosted on the box

Also Audio&Video conferencing is installed by default on STD Edition

So no other servers are required on the LAN

There is a difference between Video Call and Live Meeting with Video

Video call can be done via Communicator and you can upgrade to video conference by inviting users so that total is more than 2

If a video call is between 2 users it is peer to peer, once more than 2 it converts to video conference

Live Meeting video can also be done via STD Edition but Live Meeting client is required and is allways connected to video conferencing mcu

Hope this clears up some things?
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Hi,

You have audio/video capabilities with Communicator but that's more as a person to person conference while with Livemeeting you get the full conferencing where multiple people get together in a conferencing room.

Both Communicator and Livemeeting are clients of OCS 2007 so you don't need a seperate infrastructure for Livemeeting. Simply deploy the OCS 2007 Standard Edition server and use Communicator and Livemeeting clients.

You can use this guide for your OCS Deployment:

Office Communications Server 2007 Document: Standard Edition Deployment Guide

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1068BEB2-4370-4C66-A3DC-55BDD032B857&displaylang=en

Or following these Step By Step on OCSPEDIA (make sure to look into the Standard Edition Deployment)
    http://www.ocspedia.com/FE/OCS_Install.htm

Hope this helps

Sincerely,
    Tonino Bruno

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your help. Now I'm clear about video call/video conference in OCS :-)

Best regards,
    Alvin
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:19 AM