No Reinstallation Option Available During Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, So I decided to upgrade my trial version of WHS to the full version, and I read all the FAQ's I could find. I booted to the installation DVD, but there was no option to reinstall. I tried disconnecting all of the drives except the system drive, but still no option to reinstall. I can still start WHS with no issues.

How do I upgrade?
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 12:40 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply. It's a home built server with a Gigabyte motherboard. I have a 120 Gb system disk that I originally installed WHS on. Once everything was working well, I added an additional 1Tb drive that I added to the storage pool. Both drives are SATA, and both are Western Digital Drives. The system disk is a Caviar and the data drive is a Green drive.

When you boot from the DVD, do you see all of your hard drives on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen?  If not, You need to either A) go into the BIOS and change your SATA ports to IDE/Legacy mode or B) install the drivers for your SATA drives twice (once at the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen and again after the first reboot when it says "Press F6 to load additional drivers" at the bottom).

If all of the drives are present on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen, make sure you have your 120 GB drive plugged into the first SATA port on your mobo.

• Marked as answer by J_P_A Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:43 AM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:07 AM

All replies

• Okay, So I decided to upgrade my trial version of WHS to the full version, and I read all the FAQ's I could find. I booted to the installation DVD, but there was no option to reinstall. I tried disconnecting all of the drives except the system drive, but still no option to reinstall. I can still start WHS with no issues.

How do I upgrade?

Can you give some specifics on your hardware?  How many hard drives do you have?  What are the sizes and types (PATA, SATA, USB, etc)?  Which of those drives were part of the server when you first installed and which of those did you add afterwards?
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 12:46 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. It's a home built server with a Gigabyte motherboard. I have a 120 Gb system disk that I originally installed WHS on. Once everything was working well, I added an additional 1Tb drive that I added to the storage pool. Both drives are SATA, and both are Western Digital Drives. The system disk is a Caviar and the data drive is a Green drive.

Saturday, April 4, 2009 12:57 AM

When you boot from the DVD, do you see all of your hard drives on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen?  If not, You need to either A) go into the BIOS and change your SATA ports to IDE/Legacy mode or B) install the drivers for your SATA drives twice (once at the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen and again after the first reboot when it says "Press F6 to load additional drivers" at the bottom).

If all of the drives are present on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen, make sure you have your 120 GB drive plugged into the first SATA port on your mobo.

• Marked as answer by J_P_A Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:43 AM
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:07 AM
  • Well, this is embarrassing. I was expecting the reinstall option to appear at the initial setup screen. After reading your post, it dawned on me what was going on.

Thanks, and sorry for the waste of time.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:43 AM