Can't access moved shares RRS feed

• Question

• So my system drive on my WHS 2011 was failing (SMART reporting) and I decided to switch it out. The sytem drive was a partition on a drive that had other shares on it. I replaced the system drive and used the connect software to move the shares to a different drive. I set permissions using the connect software too. Everything seems correct on the server, but on my client computer I can't access the newly moved shares. All my other shares I can access just fine, but the new ones I just get an error stating it can't access the share.

BTW: My process of replacing the boot drive (maybe it's relevant): I  used the server backup utility from the accessories menu to create a backup of the system drive onto an external drive. I then reinstalled WHS 2011 on the new drive and rebooted using the install disk. I used the repair option to restore the recent backup back to the new drive. (The restore did not work with the drive unpartitioned, that's why I installed WHS 2011 first, to setup the correct partitions)

Any Idea on what I can do?

I'm going to try deleting the shares and recreating them again, I guess...

Thanks.

• Edited by kozak79 Monday, July 16, 2012 5:03 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 3:33 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply,

After looking at the permissions for folder I can access, I noticed they have "Everyone" as a user. For some reason assigning users I use to log into my clients does not give me permission to open shares even though those users have permissions.

So it works I guess...

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, July 23, 2012 6:44 AM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In your post, you mentioned that after moving the shares to a different drive, you set permissions using the "connect software" (I assume you mean the dashboard). In my experience, there is no need to adjust permissions when moving a share as these are automatically adjusted. Were the permissions gone after you move the shares?

Although I have no experience in this field, the fact that you performed a clean install of the server, after which you restored a backup may have had a strange effect on your user accounts on the server. Have you tried to remove the permissions and recreate them after you've restored the backup?

Regards,

Sven 

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

After looking at the permissions for folder I can access, I noticed they have "Everyone" as a user. For some reason assigning users I use to log into my clients does not give me permission to open shares even though those users have permissions.

So it works I guess...

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, July 23, 2012 6:44 AM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:29 PM
  • Are you using a homegroup? homegroup security will override user-based security.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:03 AM