emailing resources when tasks are coming due RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone automating this--and if so, how?  I run non-enterprise version of MSP-2007 Pro.  All resources have Windows User Accounts and email addresses entered in the Resource Sheet.  In the past I have created filters/views by resource showing tasks that need to be complete within a specific time period [typically 1-2 weeks] and cut/paste that window into an email for them.  The project I'm managing right now has too many resources and would sure love an automated method.  Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 5:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Ddeuno,

I don't know why nobody answered your uestion (everybody except Rod seems to ignore that you do not run Project Server) so I'll try to at least set you on your way.

You have to use the Mailsend method - here's the help:

Project Developer Reference
    Application.MailSend Method

Sends a mail message.

Syntax

expression.MailSend(To, Cc, Subject, Body, Enclosures, IncludeDocument, ReturnReceipt, Bcc, Urgent, SaveCopy, AddRecipient)

expression   A variable that represents an Application object.

Parameters

Name Required/Optional Data Type Description
    To Optional String The user names of the primary recipients of the message, separated by commas.
    Cc Optional String The user names of the secondary recipients of the message, separated by commas.
    Subject Optional String The subject of the message.
    Body Optional String The main text of the message.
    Enclosures Optional String The file names of one or more files to include with the message. Use the list separator character to separate multiple file names. Do not add space between the list separator and the file name.
    IncludeDocument Optional Boolean True if the active project is included in the message. The default value is True.
    ReturnReceipt Optional Boolean True if a message is sent to the sender when the recipient opens the message. The default value is False.
    Bcc Optional String The user names of the message recipients which are not displayed, separated by semicolons. This argument is only supported in Microsoft Project for the Macintosh version 4.0
    Urgent Optional Boolean True if the message is given a high priority. This argument is only supported in Microsoft Project for the Macintosh version 4.0.
    SaveCopy Optional Boolean True if a copy of the message is saved in the  SentItems folder. This argument is only supported in Microsoft Project for the Macintosh version 4.0.
    AddRecipient Optional Boolean True if recipients of the message are added to a personal address book. This argument is only supported in Microsoft Project for the Macintosh version 4.0.

Return Value
    Boolean

Remarks

If the MailSend method is used without specifying any arguments and there are no existing routing slips, a standard compose mail window appears with the active project as an embedded object. Otherwise, using the MailSend method without specifying any arguments prompts whether or not to use the routing slip.

© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

But yes, Gill is right, customers do abandon this because of the volume, but it does work.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:00 AM

All replies

• You can automate using VBA but I question the value. A once a week report on current tasks is one thing, but an email for each task is spam! It's one of the features most quickly turned off in Project Server!

For a once a week report, I use VBA to create a spreadsheet automatically for each Resource. Resources can enter progress and I then update my schedule from them. Outlook can be automated to email files automatically, but its a pain getting around teh Outlook security that pops up an "Are you sure you want this email to go out?" for every message.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Friday, March 11, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Beside VBA you could create a timer job server side that can achieve this using C#
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Hi Ddenuo,

I dont know how much it will going to help you, but few months back, I have developed below script to send alerts for timesheets (which is not available OOB) from Database only, you can very easily customize below script to match your requirement means just modify the query to fetch you desired data.

Kindly look on below thread also.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/projectserver2010general/thread/32baf080-5143-412a-a97e-12f832564b36

Please let me know in case you need help further.

create procedure [dbo]. [SendMail]

as

begin

declare @to varchar ( 70)

declare @recipient_name varchar ( 50)

declare @weekdate varchar ( 11)

DECLARE getUserDetail CURSOR

FOR

SELECT resourceemailaddress, r. resourcename, convert ( varchar ( 11), enddate) enddate

FROM MSP_TimesheetPeriod_OlapView TP inner join MSP_Timesheet_OlapView T on TP. PeriodUID  = T. PeriodUID inner join MSP_TimesheetResource_OlapView RT on T. OwnerResourceNameUID = RT. ResourceNameUID

inner join MSP_Epmresource_UserView R on RT. ResourceUID = R. ResourceUID

where TimeSheetStatusId = 0 and   Enddate < getdate ()

OPEN getUserDetail

FETCH NEXT FROM getUserDetail

INTO @to, @recipient_name, @weekdate

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

EXEC msdb. dbo. sp_send_dbmail @recipients = @to,

@subject = 'Timesheet Alert' ,

@body = 'You have not submitted your Timesheet for last week. <br> Warm Regards </br> <br> PS Admin </br>' ,

@body_format = 'HTML'

FETCH NEXT FROM getUserDetail

INTO @to

END

CLOSE getUserDetail

DEALLOCATE getUserDetail

end

Sachin Vashishth MCTS
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Are you using Outlook integration?  If so  you can request a status update directly from the folks that have tasks due. 
    Donald R. Landry
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Hi Ddeuno,

I don't know why nobody answered your uestion (everybody except Rod seems to ignore that you do not run Project Server) so I'll try to at least set you on your way.

You have to use the Mailsend method - here's the help:

Project Developer Reference
    Application.MailSend Method

Sends a mail message.

Syntax

expression.MailSend(To, Cc, Subject, Body, Enclosures, IncludeDocument, ReturnReceipt, Bcc, Urgent, SaveCopy, AddRecipient)

expression   A variable that represents an Application object.

Parameters

Name Required/Optional Data Type Description
    To Optional String The user names of the primary recipients of the message, separated by commas.
    Cc Optional String The user names of the secondary recipients of the message, separated by commas.
    Subject Optional String The subject of the message.
    Body Optional String The main text of the message.
    Enclosures Optional String The file names of one or more files to include with the message. Use the list separator character to separate multiple file names. Do not add space between the list separator and the file name.
    IncludeDocument Optional Boolean True if the active project is included in the message. The default value is True.
    ReturnReceipt Optional Boolean True if a message is sent to the sender when the recipient opens the message. The default value is False.
    Bcc Optional String The user names of the message recipients which are not displayed, separated by semicolons. This argument is only supported in Microsoft Project for the Macintosh version 4.0
    Urgent Optional Boolean True if the message is given a high priority. This argument is only supported in Microsoft Project for the Macintosh version 4.0.
    SaveCopy Optional Boolean True if a copy of the message is saved in the  SentItems folder. This argument is only supported in Microsoft Project for the Macintosh version 4.0.
    AddRecipient Optional Boolean True if recipients of the message are added to a personal address book. This argument is only supported in Microsoft Project for the Macintosh version 4.0.

Return Value
    Boolean

Remarks

If the MailSend method is used without specifying any arguments and there are no existing routing slips, a standard compose mail window appears with the active project as an embedded object. Otherwise, using the MailSend method without specifying any arguments prompts whether or not to use the routing slip.

© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

But yes, Gill is right, customers do abandon this because of the volume, but it does work.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:00 AM