none
WHS V1 - change of System Hard Disk - Failure of Reinstallation error 0x00007B RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

I have a WHS V1 that last hear I successfully migrated over an INTEL ATOM MW525 MB with 2 HD  1 TB and 2 TB.

Recently the oldest HD 1 TB start giving me problems and I decided to replace with a 3 TB one. ( I am aware of the 2TB partition limitation).

I tried to clone the old hard disk (apparently successfully even if with some read errors of the original HDD). Nevertheless I did not succeed in restarting the system ( Even if I follow some indication found online on  the need of forcing the correct DISK ID). The  Computer start and after the Home Server logo was reebooting.

For this reason I decided to perform the reinstallation of the server.

Everything goes smooth from teh DVD but when I start the computer to finalize the installation I get the error 0x00007B.

The HDDs are SATA but in IDE emulation  mode.

Any Suggestions ?

Regards

• Edited by AlfioM Sunday, September 9, 2012 10:57 AM
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 10:27 AM

All replies

• Are you trying to boot from this new 3TB disk (however you have it partitioned)? If so, you are doomed to failure as you will need a UEFI BIOS which you will not have on an Atom board

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, September 9, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Yes indeed it is supposed to boot from it.

The system actually boot from it I go thru the Windows request of F6 and F2 steps , it loads some files and than crashes.

It is this behavior compatible withe the missing of the UEFI BIOS?

Regards

Sunday, September 9, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Yes indeed it is supposed to boot from it.

Not unless you have a UEFI BIOS! I can't say that this behaviour is typical of what happens as I do not have a 3TB drive to test.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, September 9, 2012 10:14 PM
  • Highest probability: The 0x0000007b STOP bluescreen indicates that you haven't supplied the correct storage drivers during your reinstallation. In the first (graphical) phase of setup, you can use Vista drivers, but if you need to supply drivers for your system disk at that point, you will also need to prepare an "F6 floppy" for use during the text mode setup phase that occurs just after the first reboot.

Also worth consideration: Do you have a smaller disk that you can attempt installation onto? The 3 TB drive is almost certainly an Advanced Format drive; you have to put it into the appropriate emulation mode to get good performance. If you have a disk that's not advanced format, you could try installing onto that instead.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, September 10, 2012 12:13 AM
  • Thanks

I am recovering all the valuable files and when finished I will try a full new installation. In this case I will swap the two HD to use the small one ( 2 TB) as the bootable one.

From my search on Internet I found out that the error code  ( including the two subparameters 0x0000007b (0xf789a640,0xc0000034,0x00000000....) seems to point to potential issues on the partitions and MBR. 

Maybe the cloning did not go well enough ( was done using a different operating system).

I have to exclude any driver in this phase as the disks are in IDE emulation mode.

An alternative could be to migrate to WHS 2011 .

Regards

Monday, September 10, 2012 8:14 AM
  • Just to inform that I swap the two Hard Disk and I was able to complete the installation, however WHS saw only 764 GB of the 3 TB Hard disk.

As anticipated I decided to upgraed to WHS 2011.

Thanks for the support.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 4:22 PM