CRM 4 email doesn't work & compatibility with Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi--

I have a fresh new install of CRM 4.  I haven't been able to find any great docs on what is really necessary for CRM 4 e-mail to work.  Do I really need smtp installed on the CRM box? or do I just point it to my exchange server during the CRM install (adds registry key "IncomingEmailServer").  What is necessary for e-mail to function when using the Outlook client vs. the web interface?

I did find some good info on the CRM blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/02/07/crm-4-0-e-mail-integration-overview.aspx) .

based on the link above, it sounds like i don't need to do anything when using the CRM Outlook client.  This (should) work out of the box for send/receive w/ Outlook?  The web interface however doesn't work at all and requires the CRM router to route email to Outlook (msg. shows "This message has not yet been submitted for delivery")? Could someone please confirm what is actually required for each scenario. 

I did talk to our Dynamics consultant and he told me the email should just work...without the email router...but he wasn't able to get it to work either. I'm running IIS7/Server 2008/CRM 4/sql 2k5 and there just appears to be a bunch of issues with CRM (my perspective/experience, maybe CRM 4 doesn't officially support server 2008?). 

we uninstalled CRM and it broke IIS 7 on my 2008 server. The fix (workaround i discoverd and sent to the Microsoft case (haven't heard back yet btw) for that:

I seem to have found a work around.  It appears that IIS or CRM (or CRM breaks IIS ?) has difficulty with the deletion of a website since the prior CRM install (we uninstalled and re-installed CRM).  IIS's default website is "Default Web Site". I had originally created a second website called "Microsoft CRM" and picked this site for the CRM  website.  After we had un-installed CRM, I manually deleted the IIS website and directory.  Subsequent installs of CRM would throw the IIS metabase error on the CRM install.

I created the second site to show that we could still create sites with IIS manager.  This worked.  Then I ran the CRM install wizard and didn't receive the metabase error. I cancelled the CRM install wizard and deleted the second website/directory in IIS/windows explorer, re-ran the CRM install and again received the IIS metabase error.

I re-created the IIS website and was able to install CRM without errors.

thanks,

Curtis 

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• This is a change in 4.0 from 3.0.  You have to install the E-Mail router to send emails out of the web client.  For sending outgoing e-mails, the router sends the emails via SMTP.

The e-mail router does not send E-mails to Outlook.  It uses SMTP.  3.0 just sent emails via SMTP on the server.

Your two options are:

1.  Send all emails from Outlook

2.  Install the E-Mail router to enable outgoing email from the web client.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:07 AM
  • ok, just to clarify, I should not have to install SMTP on the CRM server at all ?  Outlook/CRM client will send/receive out of the box and the web portion requires the e-mail router?

I couldn't get the email router to work at all...so i'll have to figure that out now too. 

thanks for the help.

Curtis

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:11 AM
  • See the system requirements:

http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/product/systemrequirements.mspx

If you deploy the E-Mail router to send outgoing mail, it has to be able to connect to an SMTP server, so yes, you would have to have SMTP running  

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:19 AM