Best way to backup "snapshots"? RRS feed

• Question

• I read this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941914/en-us

And noticed this:

A Delete All command button has been added to the Backup tab on the Windows Home Server Console
      Settings page. You can use this command to permanently delete all home computer backups that are
      tored on the home server. The Delete All command can be useful in the following cases:

• A hard disk fails on the home server.
         • The backup database must be reset because of consistency errors or because of other
           unforeseen circumstances.

One of the major reasons I wanted WHS is to have the ability to take "snaphots" of my computer, along the lines of IBM's "Rapid Restore", Norton Ghost, or even HP's recovery. I tend to blow away my computers a few times a year, and it's easier to do so when I have a snapshot that get's me 90% of the way there.

Notes like the above concern me, because if WHS dies, or even just the system disk goes, I lose my snapshots I've taken so long to create a keep clean.

Is there a way to backup the "manual backups" (i.e. "snapshots") to external USB or something, so in the event that I need to re-install WHS, I can put them back where they belong and go from there?

Thanks.
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:35 PM

Answers

• At present, there is no automated way to back up the backup database. The Backup Technical Brief includes instructions on how to do this manually. You can't extract just a single backup for archiving. You have to take the entire database.
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 8:09 PM