To much RAM?? RRS feed

• Question

• With the system that I'm running WHS on, it likes to reboot its self when I have 1GB (two sticks of 512MB) of Kingston RAM installed, but it works fine with the 512MB RAM. Its running on a P4 2.4 Ghz board and every thing works fine. I know that the RAM is good as well since I was running Windows XP Pro. with Service Pack 2 with out a problem with the 1GB of RAM. I went a head and even went out and got a 1GB stick of RAM, but the system will just reboot its self.

When playing with the settings abit, I did get the system to get to the login screen (with the 1GB stick of RAM), but then it blue screened on me.

Any ideas on what might be causing the issue?

Also I took the hard drive with WHS out, and installed ME, and it took the RAM with out a problem, So with two differnt vr. of Windows liking the RAM I can't see it being a hardware issue.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:56 PM

Answers

•  

Hi guys,

To answer your questions I did run memory tester with all three sticks and every thing works out. Also I can't see the mother board being at falt since both XP Pro, and ME run with the 1 GB of ram being the two 512 sticks, or the 1GB stick,

The two sticks of 512MB are both Kingston, 3200.

I'm starting to think that the install might be bad at this point though. I'm going to format the drive and do a clean install and see if it gives me the same issue. If it doesn't then we'll know. If it gives me issues I'll try another system.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you run a memory tester just to eliminate the ram as a problem??

Sounds to me like one of your sticks of ram is bad, or the two sticks are incompatiable with each other.

To test the ram download a tool like Windiag (http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp) or memtest.

I've got 3Gb on my WHS system and it's been working great.

I hope that helps

Don.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:11 PM
  • It's still possible that there's some problem with one of your sticks of memory, or with the memory controller on your motherboard. You might want to give MemTest86+ a try with each of the sticks individually, and with both inserted.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:13 PM
  •  

Hi guys,

To answer your questions I did run memory tester with all three sticks and every thing works out. Also I can't see the mother board being at falt since both XP Pro, and ME run with the 1 GB of ram being the two 512 sticks, or the 1GB stick,

The two sticks of 512MB are both Kingston, 3200.

I'm starting to think that the install might be bad at this point though. I'm going to format the drive and do a clean install and see if it gives me the same issue. If it doesn't then we'll know. If it gives me issues I'll try another system.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:22 PM