Cannot write to shares on WHS 2011 even with permissions set to read / write RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Win 7 pc that cannot write to any of the shares (photos, music, Recorded TV) on a WHS 2011 server even when the PC has full read/write permissions to all shares.  When I attempt to write a file it DOES NOT give me a permission error, rather it just sits there saying "Discovering" and shows a very small transfer rate (usually a few kilobytes per second) but it never writes to the target drive.  This same computer is able to write to other shares on my network at high speeds (for example - my Synology NAS at 100 Mb/s) so I don't think I have a network issue.  I have 2 other Win 7 PCs that can write to the shares on the WHS 2011 at very high speeds, so I don't thinks its  WHS issue. 

So my network is setup correctly and WHS seems to work wtih other PCs.  What could be causing this one Win 7 PC to be incapable of sending data to my WHS?

Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:05 AM

Answers

• Updated realtek drivers , problem solved.

Not sure why just Windows devices were affected, but at least everything works.

thanks again,

Mark

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, July 4, 2012 9:15 AM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:09 PM

All replies

• If your server is part of a homegroup, permissions specified there will override any other permissions you set, for any other computer also part of that homegroup.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, June 30, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for responding (I've been a user of WHS since V1 and always appreciate your continued support!!).

I never enabled homegroup on WHS or the Win7 PC having issues because I read about many problems people were having.

Today I did an interesting test.  I tried to copy a small .PDF file (before today I was trying to move recorded TV files were are very large - 1GB or greater) of about 300-400kb in size.  After about 1 min of "discovering" the file started to copy to WHS at a very slow speed (7 kb/s), but it DID eventually copy to the share on the server.   So, my permissions must be correct. 

I also tried another test - I tried writing a file to one of the other PCs on my network and I am having the same issue.  Not sure why I am able to write to a NAS on my network but not any Windows PCs or WHS??

I'm now thinking there must be some issue with my NIC specific to writing to Windows devices, I'm not sure which setting to change.

I did try a complete reinstall of Win 7 on the PC with issues, but unfortunately that did not help.

I'm thinking of installing a generic Intel Gigabit NIC in the Win 7 PC to see if that helps (there is currently a Realtek Gigabit NIC).  I am totally stumped at this point.

Any another advice on how to troubleshoot this?

• Edited by Olop_Ocram Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:13 PM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Updated realtek drivers , problem solved.

Not sure why just Windows devices were affected, but at least everything works.

thanks again,

Mark

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, July 4, 2012 9:15 AM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:09 PM