none
Set up DNS RRS feed

• Question

• How do I set up my WHS for a dynDNS address? I'd like to be able to logon remotely from any computer outside of local network.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    the homeserver.com domain, which is part of the Remote Access configuration of Windows Home Server, is also kind of Dynamic DNS with the benefit, that it brings it's own certificate.
    The dyndns capabilities of the most routers (as Evaders99 already mentioned) can be used to have a workaround in case that one fails temporary (which happened in the past a few times).
    If the router does not have this capability, the most providers of dynamic DNS domains also offer software based solutions. If those are installable on WHS, would be a case by case test.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, April 17, 2009 7:58 AM

All replies

• Most routers come with a configuration to set up DynDNS. Then you just need to to use UPnP or set up port forwarding correctly. There are many instructions available online to do that.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 4:19 AM
  • Hi,
    the homeserver.com domain, which is part of the Remote Access configuration of Windows Home Server, is also kind of Dynamic DNS with the benefit, that it brings it's own certificate.
    The dyndns capabilities of the most routers (as Evaders99 already mentioned) can be used to have a workaround in case that one fails temporary (which happened in the past a few times).
    If the router does not have this capability, the most providers of dynamic DNS domains also offer software based solutions. If those are installable on WHS, would be a case by case test.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, April 17, 2009 7:58 AM