Few questions on synchronization. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I am back with some questions

• What are all the SQL 2005 editions that support Sync (ex. Professional, enterprise…etc)
      • Can Tombstone tables reside on other database
      • Is composite primary key supported in synchronization framework
      • Can client be other than SQL Compact 3.5 SP1

The main thing i want to know is can client db be other than SQL Compact 3.5 because i have sql express used in one of my application, can i use the same as client db. Or can i use MDF file as client db.

Thanks...

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 7:41 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 5:02 AM

Answers

• Sandeep,

Answers to your questions are as follows:

1. What are all the SQL 2005 editions that support Sync (ex. Professional, enterprise…etc)

DbServerSyncProvider can be used with any database vendor that has a valid ADO.NET provider.  SqlCeClientSyncProvider can be used with SQL CE 3.5 or greater.  These two providers are used in conjunction for offline scenarios where you have a central server and 1 or more clients that sync with that server. 

DbPeerSyncProvider can be used with SQL Server 2005 or greater.  This provider can be used to target collaboration scenarios where you would like to sync 2 or more databases in a peer to peer fashion, negating the need to go through a central server.  This is applicable to all SQL Server skus (developer, express, workgroup, standard and enterprise).
    2. Can Tombstone tables reside on other database

As long as you fully qualify the tombstone table names with database name as well.
    3. Is composite primary key supported in synchronization framework

Yes
    4. Can client be other than SQL Compact 3.5 SP1

We do not ship an express client provider out of the box for the offline scenarios described above.  However, the Sync Framework has a provider model that allows you to implement a provider for any type of store as long as you adhere to the contract specified.  See more info here on implementing your own provider:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb902814(SQL.100).aspx

For the collaboration scenarios Express is supported.

Sean Kelley

Microsoft

Data Replication and Synchronization

Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:13 PM

All replies

• Sandeep,

Answers to your questions are as follows:

1. What are all the SQL 2005 editions that support Sync (ex. Professional, enterprise…etc)

DbServerSyncProvider can be used with any database vendor that has a valid ADO.NET provider.  SqlCeClientSyncProvider can be used with SQL CE 3.5 or greater.  These two providers are used in conjunction for offline scenarios where you have a central server and 1 or more clients that sync with that server. 

DbPeerSyncProvider can be used with SQL Server 2005 or greater.  This provider can be used to target collaboration scenarios where you would like to sync 2 or more databases in a peer to peer fashion, negating the need to go through a central server.  This is applicable to all SQL Server skus (developer, express, workgroup, standard and enterprise).
    2. Can Tombstone tables reside on other database

As long as you fully qualify the tombstone table names with database name as well.
    3. Is composite primary key supported in synchronization framework

Yes
    4. Can client be other than SQL Compact 3.5 SP1

We do not ship an express client provider out of the box for the offline scenarios described above.  However, the Sync Framework has a provider model that allows you to implement a provider for any type of store as long as you adhere to the contract specified.  See more info here on implementing your own provider:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb902814(SQL.100).aspx

For the collaboration scenarios Express is supported.

Sean Kelley

Microsoft

Data Replication and Synchronization

Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:13 PM
  • Thanks for the answers Sean

Monday, May 19, 2008 11:59 AM