none
Windows 10 Should have read the instructions

Question

• This is one of those Windows 10 "should have read the instructions" issues.

I purchased a Dell Inspiron Duo table computer with Windows 7 installed.  About 6 months ago I purchased the windows 8.1 upgrade and it worked great  I accepted the windows 10 offer but I am on a metered internet connection and I downloaded the USB install from the Microsoft site at a location with unmetered internet access.  Without reading the instructions and never liking to do an upgrade when I can do a full install I did just that.  Now it will not accept the windows 8 hey for activation and the box containing the Windows 7 key has long decomposed in the landfill.

Is there a way to activate my windows 10 upgrade/ install or am I destined to spend another $110 for a new key.

Thank you

Gene

Monday, August 3, 2015 11:24 PM

Answers

• Put simply - no. You'll have to reinstall WIndows 7 and do the upgrade(s) again (and for future reference you should ALWYAS keep the media and packaging for the source OS after installing upgrades, since they are always (in theory) required for a reinstall of the upgraded OS).

You should be able to install Windows 7 from the Dell Recovery media/partition and use that for the upgrade.

Please repost your Windows 10 query to the appropriate WIndows 10 Community forum here...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winactivate 

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

• Proposed as answer by Mike Laughlin Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gpinkston Wednesday, August 5, 2015 9:01 AM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 5:31 AM
    Answerer