Excessive system folder size RRS feed

• Question

• My system size had been a steady 20gb since install several months back.

Home build system AMD 4050e in an ASUS 780G MB
    System Sys drive 1 * 640 GB WD Black
    Storage Drives 3 * 640 GB WD Green
    Backup Drive 1 * 1TB Hitachi
    One add in card, an internal SATAII  I/O
    All HD temps are very low ~ 26 to 27C in a Antec One Hundred case

I replaced the system drive with a larger unit about 3 weeks ago with the 640GB, It was a 250GB Seagate prior. All went well no issues. All drives and backups restored as intended. :-)

~ 4 days ago I had a home computer crash in the middle of it's back up sequence. Took me a few days to get it up but I did.

I look yesterday and the system drive is now 580GB.

I have checked for shadow files in folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\
    there are none.

I have checked the individual drives and shadow copy if disabled for everything.

I check the registry entries and they say "0" on the D:/ mount point

I don't save or run anything directly to the server that would bypass the shared folder system.

I have run backup cleanup and repair several times to see if could get teh system to clean its self up. This has reduced the value but only to 510 GB. I have most of my files duplicated (mostly pictures), but they only add up to 309 GB.

All three of my storage drives show 92% full. They were at 66% last week. System drive shows 5% full. Backups show ~509GB, really close to the system size but maybe just coincidence.

Any ideas without doing a full wipe? Appreciate any thoughts.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 5:24 AM

Answers

• It's weird that chkdsk completes through d:/ yet crashes when it runs on the individual disks, and every one of them.

Tried something else as well. My backup disk e:/ is on a seperate add in SATAII card, not part of the motherboard. I hangs on step 4 of 5 as well. Its a cheap JMicron card. Since it hangs on all my drives, regardless of what controller they are on, and I have drives on both teh MB and an addin card, I have trouble understanding how it would be the drivers, or the hardware. Unless there is a common shared driver that is corrrupt.

Other news from the twilight zone...

I did a BDBB backup to my storage drive last night then....

My system size was still at + 500gb. After the BDBB backup I changed my backups from 3 months, 3 weeks, 4 days to 2 months, 3 weeks, 4 days and told it to do a clean up. My system size and my backup areas are now ~ 420gb. For some reason my system is adjusting larger and smaller along with my computer backups.

It seems to me that somehow those are tied together.  Did you ever use a registry hack to duplicate your backup database manually?  If not, you must have the duplication enabled in BDBB.  You should double check the add-in settings (or uninstall it, reboot your server, then see what the storage space looks like).
    • Marked as answer by JKYMark Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:52 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:30 AM

All replies

• Sounds like you backed up the broken computer a couple of times as different backups.  Can you browse for abnormally large files?
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:22 AM
  • Please check all the drives in your server for errors .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:30 PM

I replaced the system drive with a larger unit about 3 weeks ago with the 640GB, It was a 250GB Seagate prior. All went well no issues. All drives and backups restored as intended. :-)

~ 4 days ago I had a home computer crash in the middle of it's back up sequence. Took me a few days to get it up but I did.

I have checked for shadow files in folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\
    there are none.

I have checked the individual drives and shadow copy if disabled for everything.

I don't save or run anything directly to the server that would bypass the shared folder system.

I have run backup cleanup and repair several times to see if could get teh system to clean its self up. This has reduced the value but only to 510 GB. I have most of my files duplicated (mostly pictures), but they only add up to 309 GB.

All three of my storage drives show 92% full. They were at 66% last week. System drive shows 5% full. Backups show ~509GB, really close to the system size but maybe just coincidence.

Do you have the BDBB add-in installed?  If so, are you using it to duplicate the backup database on the server?  Also, when you replaced the primary drive, did you do a Server Reinstallation or did you clone the old drive to the new one?
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:28 PM

there are none.

Do you have the BDBB add-in installed?  If so, are you using it to duplicate the backup database on the server?  Also, when you replaced the primary drive, did you do a Server Reinstallation or did you clone the old drive to the new one?

I had this problem before and it was due to the issue outlined by k21 above. I had at some point clicked the option in BDBB to duplicate the entire backup database.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Reply to all comments,

Chkdsk took 2 hrs to run but didn't find any errors on D:/. C:/ ran on the reboot. Note that it did D:/ as one volume fine, but then hangs when you close it and it reopens and tries to run the three disks as individuals. 

WHS shows all three storage drives are all healthy.

I have BDBB installed but have never used it that I remember. There are no backups listed on any of the drives on the WHS server. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to see if it was the problem a few days ago, no luck again. It says my backup space required is 509GB which matches what server storage says. If I made a backup I can't find it and BDBB doesn't show it.

When I did the main drive replacement it wouldn't work to begin with. The only option was new installation. I unplugged all my storage drives and let "new installation" start, The I aborted the installation and started it again. This time it said I could "re-install". I shut down teh computer, reattached all thd drives and did a "re-installation". It found all my files and all the backups. Everything was 100% good at this point, and remained as such for ~ 2 weeks.

James

• Edited by JKYMark Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:09 AM
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:09 PM
  • That chkdsk hangs while checking your storage pool drives for errors is not a good sign. That normally only happens when a drive is failing. You can run chkdsk on each of the drives individuall to see which one is causing the issue; just run chkdsk c:\FS\xx /r (where xx is one of the mountpoints under C:\FS on your server).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:52 AM
  • I get the same results as before.

I have three drives under chkdsk c:\FS\ they are 5,6,U

chkdsk c:\ /x /r Fully runs on reboot
    chkdsk d:\ /x /r Fully runs and completes

Created a short cmd to run these

"net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    chkdsk c:\FS\x /r"  where X = 5,6,U all in individual seperate saved cmd files. 

chkdsk c:\FS\5 /r hangs on "CHKDSK is verifying file data <stage 4 of 5>"
    chkdsk c:\FS\6 /r hangs on "CHKDSK is verifying file data <stage 4 of 5>"
    chkdsk c:\FS\U /r hangs on "CHKDSK is verifying file data <stage 4 of 5>"

Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Why do I appear to have full backup files in

D:/folders/{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    512GB

and some more in

D:/DE/folders/{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    14.9GB

Monday, November 23, 2009 1:45 AM
  • I get the same results as before.

I have three drives under chkdsk c:\FS\ they are 5,6,U

chkdsk c:\ /x /r Fully runs on reboot
    chkdsk d:\ /x /r Fully runs and completes

Created a short cmd to run these

"net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup
    chkdsk c:\FS\x /r"  where X = 5,6,U all in individual seperate saved cmd files. 

chkdsk c:\FS\5 /r hangs on "CHKDSK is verifying file data <stage 4 of 5>"
    chkdsk c:\FS\6 /r hangs on "CHKDSK is verifying file data <stage 4 of 5>"
    chkdsk c:\FS\U /r hangs on "CHKDSK is verifying file data <stage 4 of 5>"

In that case, there may be a problem with your storage driver and/or the controller card (or mobo) itself.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:08 AM
  • Why do I appear to have full backup files in

D:/folders/{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    512GB

and some more in

D:/DE/folders/{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    14.9GB

That's normal.  That's how Drive Extender works.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:09 AM
  • It's weird that chkdsk completes through d:/ yet crashes when it runs on the individual disks, and every one of them.

Tried something else as well. My backup disk e:/ is on a seperate add in SATAII card, not part of the motherboard. I hangs on step 4 of 5 as well. Its a cheap JMicron card. Since it hangs on all my drives, regardless of what controller they are on, and I have drives on both teh MB and an addin card, I have trouble understanding how it would be the drivers, or the hardware. Unless there is a common shared driver that is corrrupt.

My system size was still at + 500gb. After the BDBB backup I changed my backups from 3 months, 3 weeks, 4 days to 2 months, 3 weeks, 4 days and told it to do a clean up. My system size and my backup areas are now ~ 420gb. For some reason my system is adjusting larger and smaller along with my computer backups.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:01 AM

It seems to me that somehow those are tied together.  Did you ever use a registry hack to duplicate your backup database manually?  If not, you must have the duplication enabled in BDBB.  You should double check the add-in settings (or uninstall it, reboot your server, then see what the storage space looks like).
    • Marked as answer by JKYMark Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:52 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:30 AM
  • Okay I feel stupid now. No I never did the registry hack.

Thank you for your help. In the end the simplest solution was the right one.

It was BDBB. I unchecked both the boxes on the bottom.

Enable duplication of WHS backups
    Enable duplication of BDBB backups.

Rebooted and all my drives are now at 60% full.

I thought those were told BDBB what to backup when I did a manual backup. I had no idea they were live choices. What exactly do they do as it never showed me they ever existed as backups.

:-) No reinstall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:52 AM