Vista SP1 and External Backups RRS feed

• General discussion

• After installing Vista SP1 on my hub PC, my XP SP2 machines could not find the external drive on the hub.

I found that vista added OneCare to the ports and protocols.

To solve the problem on the XP machines, I added OneCare to the ports and protocals to match Vista.

Now everything works find.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:02 PM

All replies

• Thanks for that information. What do you mean by "Vista added OneCare to the ports and protocols?"

-steve

Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:35 AM
  •  

Under firewall advanced settings Ports and Protocols there is a highligthed entry for OneCare, containing entries TCP Port Range 6331 to 6331 - For Connections Inbound {Local ports} - Scope: Internet.

This entry did not exsist on the XP SP2 machines.

I had re-installed OneCare on all of the machines trying to resolve the problem with no luck, until I discovered the OneCare entry in Vista.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:10 PM
  • Interesting that this was the solution and interesting that the exception wasn't added to the XP machines, though I'll have to check my XP machines when I get home. As far as I know, 6331 is the port used by the OneCare Circle functionality - that is to communicate the status of OneCare to the hub and for the hub to take action on a monitored PC. It would appear, based on your experience, that this is also needed for the Centralized backup feature.

-steve

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:17 PM