Win7 homegroup vs WHS workgroup vs Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• I have 6 computers on a wired home net work with a WHS that are all connected to the internet through the same router. I'm a little confused now that I've upgraded one of the computers to win7 and they are talking about "homegroup" and "everybody" now sharing files. There is one computer on the network (call it RESTRICT) that needs access to the internet but can not be allowed any access to any of the other computers or printers, but I need to be able to access it to do Administrative tasks. I set it up with a workgroup called "RESTRICED" the other 5 computers are in a workgroup called "ALLOWED". To access the RESTRICT computer I have tried to set up "remote access" to have a remote desk top to work from to do administrative functions. I've not been successful establishing it consistantly as yet. I have now upgraded one of the XP "ALLOWED" computers to WIN7 and I'm confused by MS new automatic "homegroup network" that the WIN7 computer set up which shows this RESTRICTED computer in this new "network2" it created. I tried to find info at MS WIN7 sites but nothing poped up on home networks with WHS servers attached. They reference only Domain servers which this is not. Is there any clear info that lays out differences between homegroup, WHS workgroup, remote access and how it all can fit together? If not can someone give me some pointers? I want to up grade the RESTRICTED computer from XP to WIN7 also but do not want it to then be connected in anyway to the WIN7 in the ALLOWED workgroup. It's really sad that MS doesn't seem to acknowledge WHS at other MS sites it's not a "typical server" and thus does not always follow the same rules etc.

Saturday, November 14, 2009 1:19 AM

All replies

• I have 6 computers on a wired home net work with a WHS that are all connected to the internet through the same router. I'm a little confused now that I've upgraded one of the computers to win7 and they are talking about "homegroup" and "everybody" now sharing files. There is one computer on the network (call it RESTRICT) that needs access to the internet but can not be allowed any access to any of the other computers or printers, but I need to be able to access it to do Administrative tasks. I set it up with a workgroup called "RESTRICED" the other 5 computers are in a workgroup called "ALLOWED". To access the RESTRICT computer I have tried to set up "remote access" to have a remote desk top to work from to do administrative functions. I've not been successful establishing it consistantly as yet. I have now upgraded one of the XP "ALLOWED" computers to WIN7 and I'm confused by MS new automatic "homegroup network" that the WIN7 computer set up which shows this RESTRICTED computer in this new "network2" it created. I tried to find info at MS WIN7 sites but nothing poped up on home networks with WHS servers attached. They reference only Domain servers which this is not. Is there any clear info that lays out differences between homegroup, WHS workgroup, remote access and how it all can fit together? If not can someone give me some pointers?  I want to up grade the RESTRICTED computer from XP to WIN7 also but do not want it to then be connected in anyway to the WIN7 in the ALLOWED workgroup. It's really sad that MS doesn't seem to acknowledge WHS at other MS sites it's not a "typical server" and thus does not always follow the same rules etc.

It sounds to me like your problem is not understanding what HomeGroup is (and since that is a 7 feature, you should really post your question in that forum).  Having said that, HomeGroup is basically a way to automatically setup file sharing between 2 (or more) Windows 7 clients.  If you don't want to use it on any client, simply don't allow it to be part of your HomeGroup.  As for WHS, it doesn't have HomeGroups so WHS has no bearing on it.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:14 PM
  • I have been out to WIN7 and they tell me the opposite. To check with WHS as they have no knowledge of that OS and it's terms or how it functions. I have also read what I could find on homegroups which tells me it does not matter if I have workgroups assigned it will find all PC's on the network. And it does that machine shows up only on the WIN7 machine, and only on that machine am I seeing both our WHS shared folders on server connection and a homegroup connection. Is there anyone who is currently running WIN7 on some machines with a WHS that can clarify some of this for me? SL
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 7:51 AM
  • I have been out to WIN7 and they tell me the opposite. To check with WHS as they have no knowledge of that OS and it's terms or how it functions.

As I said, WHS cannot participate in a HomeGroup.

I have also read what I could find on homegroups which tells me it does not matter if I have workgroups assigned it will find all PC's on the network. And it does that machine shows up only on the WIN7 machine, and only on that machine am I seeing both our WHS shared folders on server connection and a homegroup connection. Is there anyone who is currently running WIN7 on some machines with a WHS that can clarify some of this for me? SL
    Basically, you should set it up however you had it before.  The only new part is HomeGroups, so just completely disable HomeGroups on each and every 7 PC and everything should function as it did before.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:17 PM