Project Server 2010: Apply New Project Plan Template to Existing Projects ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have about 100 projects created in Project Server  using an EPT that had a project plan template associated with it. We now need to use a different project plan template for these projects. Is there any way to re-create the Project Schedule of existing projects based on a new project plan template.

I have tried creating a new EPT and changing the EPT of an existing project to the new EPT but that seems to change only the PDPs associated with the project.

Thanks

MathurP
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:42 AM

Answers

• Hi MathurP,

Unfortunately no automated solution out of the box, you may be able to speed things up slightly using a VBA macro. It might be possible to create a new button on the ribbon with an action that selects and deletes all tasks from the current project plan then copies the tasks from the new template into the current project plan. Other than that I dont think there would be an option to automate this without maybe looking into some custom development but by the time you have developed that you could have done it all manually.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi MathurP,

Unfortunately there is no way to get an existing Project Plan to use a new project plan template without deleting the project plan and recreating it. New project plans created from the updated EPT, will use the new associated project plan template.

Thanks

Paul

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:51 AM
  • Hi Paul,

So is it possible to delete and re-create only the project plan for an existing enterprise project using the new project plan template without deleting the PDPs and Site Template associated with the project ?

Thanks

MathurP
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:03 AM
  • Hi MathurP,

You can delete the Project Plan and leave the Project Site template by making sure that you don't check this box "Delete the associated Microsoft SharePoint Foundation sites?" on the delete enterprise objects page in server settings. Make a note of the URL to the Project Site before deleting the project. Then create a new Project Plan from the new updated EPT. This will create the new project plan with the associated PDPs, then navigate to PWA > Server Settings > Project Sites, select your new project, delete the new Project Site if you created one then click Edit Site Address and place in the URL of the original workspace. I would test this with a test project so that you are happy with the process before carrying this out on a real project.

Thanks

Paul

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Hi Paul,

We have captured a lot of data in Enterprise Project Custom Fields through the existing PDPs for these existing projects. Re-creating the projects with a new EPT will mean that we will lose all that data. So we are really looking for an automated solution that lets us  modify only the project schedule of these projects using a new project plan template either through PWA or Project Professional Client.

Thanks

MathurP
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Hi MathurP

The Project Level Custom fields are stored with the project data, the PDP's just display this, recreating the Project with the new project plan template will mean having to re-add the Project level custom fields as it will be a new project. If you want to keep the plan and associated project level custom fields but want the new plan template structure can you not open the project in Project Professional, delete all of the tasks, open up the new project plan template, select all of the tasks from the template, then paste the tasks into the original project plan? As above, I would test this with a test project so that you are happy with the process before carrying this out on a real project.

Thanks

Paul

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I guess I was hoping for an automated solution to avoid the manual process of Open Project in Project Professional, Copy and Paste Tasks Save, Publish and Check-In in Project Professional as we need to do this for about 100 projects.

Thanks

MathurP
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:29 AM
  • Hi MathurP,

Unfortunately no automated solution out of the box, you may be able to speed things up slightly using a VBA macro. It might be possible to create a new button on the ribbon with an action that selects and deletes all tasks from the current project plan then copies the tasks from the new template into the current project plan. Other than that I dont think there would be an option to automate this without maybe looking into some custom development but by the time you have developed that you could have done it all manually.

Thanks

Paul

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:55 AM
  • Hello Paul,

I have a very similar scenario that Mathur had described. I am working in Project Pro 2013 now however.

Have you come across a macro or custom code add in that achieves the result sought, since this original thread started?

Thank you

Seamus Conlan

Seamus@Borugroupinc.com

Monday, November 4, 2013 7:14 PM