none
70-659 - Server 2008R2 Virtualization - Upgrade path? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to become an MCITP in Virtualization, but I can't seem to find an exam that is designed for Windows Server 2012. Is it because a 2012 version has not been released yet? I note that 70-659 will be retired on 31st July 2013. Is it worth me starting the study now on 2008 R2 Virtualization, or will there be a 2012 version of this exam available soon?

Thanks

Monday, January 7, 2013 4:37 AM

Answers

• I should probably add that Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure covers virtualization however it's not a virtualization specific certification.

Plan and Implement a Server Virtualization Infrastructure (26%)
    • Plan and implement virtualization hosts.
      • This objective may include but is not limited to: Plan for and implement delegation of virtualization environment (hosts, services, and VMs), including self-service capabilities; plan and implement multi-host libraries including equivalent objects; plan for and implement host resource optimization; integrate third-party virtualization platforms
    • Plan and implement virtualization guests.
      • This objective may include but is not limited to: Plan for and implement highly available VMs; plan for and implement guest resource optimization including smart page file, dynamic memory, and RemoteFX; configure placement rules; create Virtual Machine Manager templates
    • Plan and implement virtualization networking.
      • This objective may include but is not limited to: Plan for and configure Virtual Machine Manager logical networks; plan for and configure IP address and MAC address settings across multiple Hyper-V hosts including IP virtualization; plan for and configure virtual network optimization
    • Plan and implement virtualization storage.
      • This objective may include but is not limited to: Plan for and configure Hyper-V host storage including stand-alone and clustered setup using SMB 2.2 and CSV; plan for and configure Hyper-V guest storage including virtual Fibre Channel, iSCSI, and pass-through disks; plan for storage optimization
    • Plan and implement virtual guest movement.
      • This objective may include but is not limited to: Plan for and configure live, SAN, and network migration between Hyper-V hosts; plan for and manage P2V and V2V
    • Manage and maintain a server virtualization infrastructure.
      • This objective may include but is not limited to: Manage dynamic optimization and resource optimization; manage Operations Manager integration using PRO Tips; automate VM software and configuration updates using service templates; maintain library updates

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Monday, January 7, 2013 5:14 AM

All replies

• I'm not (currently) aware of any certification dedicated to Windows Server 2012 virtualization or any plans of releasing said certification.  That doesn't mean that one won't be released, it just means I haven't heard of any (yet) :-).

I would recommend you look at getting your MCITP: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator certification and then look at upgrading to MCSA: Windows Server 2012 by taking exam 70-417.

I also recommend that you subscribe to the Born to Learn blog and forums (http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/) as that is where new certifications are announced.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Monday, January 7, 2013 5:11 AM
  • I should probably add that Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure covers virtualization however it's not a virtualization specific certification.

Plan and Implement a Server Virtualization Infrastructure (26%)
    • Plan and implement virtualization hosts.
      • This objective may include but is not limited to: Plan for and implement delegation of virtualization environment (hosts, services, and VMs), including self-service capabilities; plan and implement multi-host libraries including equivalent objects; plan for and implement host resource optimization; integrate third-party virtualization platforms
    • Plan and implement virtualization guests.
      • This objective may include but is not limited to: Plan for and implement highly available VMs; plan for and implement guest resource optimization including smart page file, dynamic memory, and RemoteFX; configure placement rules; create Virtual Machine Manager templates
    • Plan and implement virtualization networking.
      • This objective may include but is not limited to: Plan for and configure Virtual Machine Manager logical networks; plan for and configure IP address and MAC address settings across multiple Hyper-V hosts including IP virtualization; plan for and configure virtual network optimization
    • Plan and implement virtualization storage.
      • This objective may include but is not limited to: Plan for and configure Hyper-V host storage including stand-alone and clustered setup using SMB 2.2 and CSV; plan for and configure Hyper-V guest storage including virtual Fibre Channel, iSCSI, and pass-through disks; plan for storage optimization
    • Plan and implement virtual guest movement.
      • This objective may include but is not limited to: Plan for and configure live, SAN, and network migration between Hyper-V hosts; plan for and manage P2V and V2V
    • Manage and maintain a server virtualization infrastructure.
      • This objective may include but is not limited to: Manage dynamic optimization and resource optimization; manage Operations Manager integration using PRO Tips; automate VM software and configuration updates using service templates; maintain library updates

Jeff Wharton

Monday, January 7, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Thanks Jeff
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:31 PM