Backups not putting back to sleep, RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!

I have another question. When I go to bed each night I close the lid on my computer and then it goes to sleep mode. At around 12.30h WHS wakes it up apparently and backs it up and then it does not seem to put it back to sleep. I wake up and its hot where the processor is and the fan is going crazy. Is there anyway to ensure that WHS will put it back to sleep after it have finished backing it up?

JM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:12 AM

All replies

• I have the identical issue.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Mark

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:23 PM
  • WHS doesn't actively put your PC to sleep after a backup, it depends on the PC's own sleep settings. Does your PC go to sleep on it's own if you don't close the lid? If not check your power settings.

A number of users have similar problems with their PCs not reliably going to sleep on their own. I made a suggestion to Microsoft that WHS actively force the PC back to it's sleep state after a backup. If interested please vote for the suggestion at:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=356078
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:27 PM
  • Link in the above NG.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:53 PM

• I close the lid on the laptops and then they goto sleep, when I awake, they are basically on but with the lids closed.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:04 PM
  • It seems to appear that this happens as different manufacturers implement the sleep/hibernation functions in their own personal implementation.

The Connector software just looks at what the client computer was set at, and issues the command to go back to it's previous state; it doesn't send a 'sleep' or 'hibernate' command per se.

There is a small freeware program called Toff which can separately force your computer into a pre-determined state.

Colin

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:17 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

The Connector software just looks at what the client computer was set at, and issues the command to go back to it's previous state; it doesn't send a 'sleep' or 'hibernate' command per se.....

Colin

Hey Colin,

My laptops do not seem to do this, Is there a way to enable this in the Connector Software?

Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:25 AM
  • No there isn't, it's 'hard wired' into the software somewhere!

I do know this has been talked about ever since the beta's started, so the WHS Team are aware of the problem a few people are having. I guess they have had more important things on their plate - the corruption bug etc. - so maybe now PP1 is getting close to release (hopefully!) they will have more time to chase up the smaller niggling bugs like this.

Personally, I've found that Dell computers are a good (or should that be bad?) example of this. Ther also doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for it, I had a notebook which just would not return to it's previous state and ended up using Toff to put it to sleep. However, I noticed by looking at the logs, that after a week or so of doing this, it started responding correctly, and was in fact going to sleep on it's own, at the correct time.

The only thing I can think, is that there is something else which wakes up when the connector wakes up the client, but at it's still active when the backup is finished, then the connector's instructions are ignored. But then what do I know!

Colin

Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:23 AM
  • Thanks very much Colin.  Assuming the "Toff" program works that's all that is needed.  Perfect! 

I will also try this on the WHS itself since my only use of WHS is user backups which are easily scheduled.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:05 AM