wmccds.exe constantly running since install RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, my HP WHS has been running fine since I installed PP1 yesterday. I have, however, noticed that the process wmccds.exe has constantly been running every time I remote desktop in, at between 30-70% cpu and 34M memory. There is also constant hard disk activity, though I don't know if that could be caused by the PP1 changes. Any idea why this is running constantly and anything I should check for? I have rebooted a couple of times since with no change. Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:36 PM

Answers

• If it fails to settle, first thing you can try is to disable and re-enable Media Sharing.  This should restart the service.  If it continues to cause problems, then I would suggest filing a bug report.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:46 PM
  •  jfp51 wrote:

Thanks for the tips, mine never got to 100%cpu for both, but maybe if I would have let it go....

I checked the indexing status, the files indexed stayed constant at around 5500, then items left to scan goes down to 5700, then back up to 5800, then back to 5700, very strange.. the top number doesn't change at all! Weird stuff, will try one more reboot and let it go. Shouldn't that second number be going down and the first one going up?

Might sound like a stupid question but what do I need this indexing for, talking about the magnifying glass icon (Desktop Search?) Can I just disable it? I really don't like my disks being used all the time...With regards to the Media Sharing that I also disabled, well I may just turn it on when i need to stream to the 360, once again I don't like my disks running like this all the time. Since nobody has the answer it seems, should I file a bug?

EDIT: Rebooted, same numbers being displayed in index status, items left to scan oscillates between 5700-5800, up and down, looks like it stuck on something, think I will turn it off and see what happens.

EDIT2: Turned off indexing because it is clearly stuck in a loop of some kind. Then I turned on media sharing, wmccds.exe ran for a while and then stopped, as expected. So this seems to be more of a bug in Windows Search. I will leave it turned off, does this affect any other things in WHS or can I leave it off? The whole server seems a lot snappier too since I shut down the Windows Search, console leads faster, etc.

@jfp51 - PLEASE file a bug for your home server on Connect with the logs from your home server.  The steps on how to do this are documented in the Release Documentation.  Thanks in advance.

I regards to your question.  Windows Desktop Search component of Windows Home Server indexes the content in the shared folders on your home server.  There is a search option on the Remote Access Shared Folders tab that uses these indices.  Also, if you click on the "Shared Folders on Server" shortcut on the desktop of a PC running Windows Vista, you can use the Search bar (upper right corner) which will also leverage these indices enabling you to quickly search through your shared folders that you have access to.

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:45 PM
  • Microsoft gave me access to Build 1776 today. After the initial reboot, both processes worked for a bit and then stopped, per normal operations. Server seems to be a little snappier (could be a placebo Wink ), everything works fine. Thanks to the WHS team for fixing this so quickly!
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:11 AM
  • I have been running build 1776 for a couple of days now and from what I can see the problem seems to be fixed.  Before I had wmccds.exe constantl running (had the server up for over a week and ran 70-80% the whole time) but after installing 1776 it ran for a while and now everything has settled back to normal.  My CPU usage on idle is now running from 2-8% which is so much nicer.  Will be keeping a close eye on it but looks really good so far.

I would have to agree that the server does seem to be a bit faster.

Great work fixing the problem guys, job well done!!!
    Friday, June 27, 2008 9:23 PM

All replies

• Need more details.

How many files do you have in your Music, Photos and Videos shared folders?

Do you have Media Sharing turned on via the Settings - Media Sharing page for these shared folders?

Do not reboot - please wait for Windows Media Connect to finish indexing your files.  Every reboot you make it start over ...

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:48 PM
  • How long has it had a chance to settle?  That service could be doing a lot.  For example, that service maybe cataloging your music collection or sharing it to other devices.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:56 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

Need more details.

How many files do you have in your Music, Photos and Videos shared folders?

Do you have Media Sharing turned on via the Settings - Media Sharing page for these shared folders?

Do not reboot - please wait for Windows Media Connect to finish indexing your files.  Every reboot you make it start over ...

Media Sharing is turned on for music, photos and videos.

Music has 5615 files and 104GB

Photos 240 files, 1Gb

Videos 1 file, 700MB

I just mentionned the reboot in that I rebooted once after PP1 installation, and once more after that. The time elapsed has been about 1 day so far, will leave it alone.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:52 PM
  • If it fails to settle, first thing you can try is to disable and re-enable Media Sharing.  This should restart the service.  If it continues to cause problems, then I would suggest filing a bug report.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Ok, I disabled media sharing for now, this stopped the wmccds.exe process. Now searchindexer is running at around 30%, will let that finish before restarting media sharing. Thanks for the suggestions!

EDIT: 45 minutes later, searchindexer only pops up occasionaly at 2%. Am going to leave it like this for a while and then try enabling media sharing again.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:44 PM
  • I noticed the same thing on my Mediasmart server.  Even the console was so slow that it was almost unusable.  Check the server status in the console and found that the CPU was running very hot (57c).

I found the following by RDP to the server and running TaskManager (Start/Windows Security/Task Manager or Start/Run/Taskmgr).  Go to the processes tab and click on "Show processes from all users" and then click on the "CPU" header twice to sort the processes by CPU usage from highest to lowest.

I first found that the process "WMCCDS.exe" was using 100% of the CPU cycles.  This process has to do with Windows Media Connect, so I went to the server console and turned off media sharing for all media types.  This stopped the 100% access by WMCCDS.  Shortly after, I was having the same problem and checked the Task Manager again.  This time "SearchProtocolHost.exe & SearchFilterHost.exe" were using 100% of the CPU cycles.  I let these processes run for over 6 hours at 100% utilization and check the indexing status periodically.  It made very little progress over this time.

I deleted most of the files on my server and let the indexing process run.  It stabilized very quickly and now processor utilization is down to 3-5% and the temps are down to 34c.  I will try turning the multimedia services back on as soon as I resolve a couple of other issues.

Hope this helps!

Toby

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:25 AM
  • Thanks for the tips, mine never got to 100%cpu for both, but maybe if I would have let it go....

I checked the indexing status, the files indexed stayed constant at around 5500, then items left to scan goes down to 5700, then back up to 5800, then back to 5700, very strange.. the top number doesn't change at all! Weird stuff, will try one more reboot and let it go. Shouldn't that second number be going down and the first one going up?

Might sound like a stupid question but what do I need this indexing for, talking about the magnifying glass icon (Desktop Search?) Can I just disable it? I really don't like my disks being used all the time...With regards to the Media Sharing that I also disabled, well I may just turn it on when i need to stream to the 360, once again I don't like my disks running like this all the time. Since nobody has the answer it seems, should I file a bug?

EDIT: Rebooted, same numbers being displayed in index status, items left to scan oscillates between 5700-5800, up and down, looks like it stuck on something, think I will turn it off and see what happens.

EDIT2: Turned off indexing because it is clearly stuck in a loop of some kind. Then I turned on media sharing, wmccds.exe ran for a while and then stopped, as expected. So this seems to be more of a bug in Windows Search. I will leave it turned off, does this affect any other things in WHS or can I leave it off? The whole server seems a lot snappier too since I shut down the Windows Search, console leads faster, etc.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:39 PM
  • Hi,

I too have this continual hard disk access issue since the install of power pack 1. CPU usage is minimal, however hard disk access on my server has been constant for 48 hours +. This is causing the server to be very slow in responding to any requests, for remote access, file access etc.

I will have a go at disabling Media Sharing, however I use the functionality more than any other service.....

Personally I believe there is a bug as I don't have that much in the way of music / video / pictures on my server to index......

Friday, June 13, 2008 6:34 AM
  •  jfp51 wrote:

Thanks for the tips, mine never got to 100%cpu for both, but maybe if I would have let it go....

@jfp51 - PLEASE file a bug for your home server on Connect with the logs from your home server.  The steps on how to do this are documented in the Release Documentation.  Thanks in advance.

I regards to your question.  Windows Desktop Search component of Windows Home Server indexes the content in the shared folders on your home server.  There is a search option on the Remote Access Shared Folders tab that uses these indices.  Also, if you click on the "Shared Folders on Server" shortcut on the desktop of a PC running Windows Vista, you can use the Search bar (upper right corner) which will also leverage these indices enabling you to quickly search through your shared folders that you have access to.

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:45 PM
  • @Davyj  - if you "believe there is a bug" - then please file a bug with your log files.  Please help the team understand the issues you are seeing by filing bugs through Connect.  I know it takes time, but textual descriptions without log files are almost impossible to troubleshoot.

Friday, June 13, 2008 2:47 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

Will do so when I get home, I will install the toolkit and prepare all the data for the bug report, restart windows search, reboot, let it go and then file the bug report. Thanks for your help.
    Friday, June 13, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Similar issue here,

According to my UPS, the server's power consumption has increased by an average of 80% since installing PP1.

CPU running at 100% flat, mostly serving wmccds.exe, then demigrator.exe, searchindexer.exe and qsm.exe.

Stopped media sharing 30 minutes ago, demigrator is still running full steam, searchindexer has only indexed 27'000 files so far in 3 days, still has 345'000 to go... searchindex has put itself into pause because of the heavy disk activity.

Apparently, wmccds has been hogging the CPU (and possibly the disks) not letting demigrator and searchindexer do their job.

I will let them run overnight and report the findings and then report a bug on connect.

Second issue: power profile was on "Always On", not on "Server Balanced Processor Power and Performance" as it should have been set by the PP1 installer. Changed this setting. No apparent change yet.

Best regards,

Stephen

Friday, June 13, 2008 8:12 PM
  • @sermann2 - please file a bug for the Power Profile and a 2nd bug for the CPU usage - thx in advance.

Friday, June 13, 2008 9:36 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:
    @sermann2 - please file a bug for the Power Profile and a 2nd bug for the CPU usage - thx in advance.

Done.

demigrator has finished its pass, started another one, seachindexer has reduced the "Items to scan" counter from 345K to 324K without finding any new files. Still working at 100% cpu...

Will let it run for the night and might try disabling searchindexer as suggested higher.

Best regards,

Stephen

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:14 PM
  • After 9 hours, searchindexer is now looping between 152 and 157 documents to index.

According to the deutils.xxxxxx.xxxxxx.3900.log logs, there were thousands of corrupted files when disabled Media Sharing, that demigrator could not fix as it timed out:

[14.06.2008 00:00:39 10d4] DEFileFromShadow(c:\fs\T\DE\shares\Users\yyy\zzz\Notes\www.id_00838,365ec152-0e1f-4079-8b4a-a7dc71cdc3a3) returned success=False primaryLinkExists=False
    [14.06.2008 00:00:39 10d4] ***ERROR: DEfileFromShadow(c:\fs\T\DE\shares\Users\yyyy\zzz\Notes\www.id_00838,365ec152-0e1f-4079-8b4a-a7dc71cdc3a3) took too long. 39715.8552ms
    [14.06.2008 00:00:39 10d4] Linking to Lost and Found c:\fs\T\DE\shares\Users\yyy\zzz\Notes\www.id_00838

After disabling Media Sharing, apparently thousands of files were fixed: What is left is a few hundred lines of this type:

[14.06.2008 09:43:35 10d4] GetPrimaryDirectoryState: D:\shares\Commun\Fax\Drafts shadow {D5CFDDCF-0ED4-42E4-A9C0-C3B944A27179} directory attributes mismatch, 17 vs 16
    [14.06.2008 09:43:35 10d4] GetPrimaryDirectoryState: D:\shares\Commun\Fax\Drafts shadow {0AA96AE5-BF17-4C46-85D2-D9B70278682E} directory attributes mismatch, 17 vs 16
    [14.06.2008 09:43:35 10d4] Sanitize D:\shares\Commun\Fax\Drafts 3.0137ms

The logs say that the issue is fixed, but they reappear on the next run.  I've not counted the number of files, but they seem to be about the same number than the ones that searchindexer can not index.

I will let the system run with searchindexer disabled for 24 hours to see if WHS can fix this on its own. If not I will either fix the files manually or wipe the system and rebuilt it...

Best regards,

Stephen

demigrator seems to be trying to sanitize about the same amount of files every hour, according to the logs to the hourly deutils.xxxxxx.xxxxxx.3900.log logs. demigrator indicates success, but tries again one hour later.

I will try manually fixing the

Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:32 AM
  • Idf people care I have filed this under Connect bug 351002, and I see sermann2 has submitted one as well, # 351003. Will keep you posted on the results.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:48 PM
  • I got the following comment from Microsoft on Connect:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for taking the time to test our product and submit feedback via Connect. Your input is very valuable to us. With regards to this particular issue/feature request, what you have reported in the product is the expected behavior at this time.
    Best wishes,
    Windows Home Server Team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess they are aware of this problem and it will hopefully be fixed by the time PP1 is released.

Monday, June 16, 2008 2:50 PM
  •  jfp51 wrote:

I got the following comment from Microsoft on Connect:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for taking the time to test our product and submit feedback via Connect. Your input is very valuable to us. With regards to this particular issue/feature request, what you have reported in the product is the expected behavior at this time.
    Best wishes,
    Windows Home Server Team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess they are aware of this problem and it will hopefully be fixed by the time PP1 is released.

Hi,

In which case, how would I go about uninstalling PP1 beta please?

Many thanks.

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:00 PM
  •  DavyJ wrote:
     jfp51 wrote:

I got the following comment from Microsoft on Connect:

Best wishes,
    Windows Home Server Team

Hi,

In which case, how would I go about uninstalling PP1 beta please?

Many thanks.

You Remote Desktop into your WHS (NOT the console), Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Make sure "Show updates" is checked at the top -> Remove "PRERELEASE Windows Home Server Powerpack1 (KB944289)"

I am going to uninstall it as well until they fix this issue, hopefully the uninstall will not bork up my server even further!

Monday, June 16, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Just a quick update, I have succesfully removed the beta PP1 and media sharing and indexing have come back to normal behaviour. The only small issue during the uninstall, and it isn't even really an issue, is that a box came up with all the software I had installed since the beta PP1 was installed, security hotfixes and the toolkit. It stated that these may not work properly after beta PP1 uninstall, probably because they were installed after the PP1 install restore point was created.

After removing those, the beta PP1 uninstall then proceded normally. I then had to re-install the connector on my PC, which I did through the Software share. I then turned on media sharing and indexing, and everything is back to pre-PP1 behaviour.

Thanks to all the people that helped, and since MS knows about this 'bug', it will hopefully be fixed for the release PP1.

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Not sure if this will help but if SearchIndexer is part of Windows Desktop Search then this has just been updated to Version 4.0. This doesn't appear to be available through Windows Update yet but there is a version available for Windows Home Server here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157

I've just installed this and my home server is running searchindexer.exe between 0 and 1 % and WMCCDS.exe at 0%.

I only saw this thread after installing the update so I don't know what my server was doing before this.

WMCCDS was running at 25% when I first restarted my machine. This appeared to be whilst it was loading as it dropped down to 0% CPU when memory usage became stable (at 160Mb). This took about 10 minutes.

One thing that I did note is that my home server is using 800Mb of memory when it's not doing anything. This seems a lot considering some people seem to only have 512Mb installed in their servers.

Finally, I installed this update as my application event log had lots of errors related to desktop search (something about hashes).  I wanted to see if this cleared them up. I haven't had long enough to test this yet.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:02 AM
  •  

I installed PP1 3 days ago and  WMCCDS.exe has not been under 65% cpu usage ever since.
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 11:18 PM
  • Microsoft gave me access to Build 1776 today. After the initial reboot, both processes worked for a bit and then stopped, per normal operations. Server seems to be a little snappier (could be a placebo Wink ), everything works fine. Thanks to the WHS team for fixing this so quickly!
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:11 AM
  • I have been running build 1776 for a couple of days now and from what I can see the problem seems to be fixed.  Before I had wmccds.exe constantl running (had the server up for over a week and ran 70-80% the whole time) but after installing 1776 it ran for a while and now everything has settled back to normal.  My CPU usage on idle is now running from 2-8% which is so much nicer.  Will be keeping a close eye on it but looks really good so far.

I would have to agree that the server does seem to be a bit faster.

Great work fixing the problem guys, job well done!!!
    Friday, June 27, 2008 9:23 PM
  • I installed PP1 over three weeks ago.  Since that time the disk activitiy light was on constantly except when I would Remote Desktop to the server.  FINALLY, about two days ago, the disk activity light went off and now acts like pre-PP1 (on only intermittently or when doing backups).

Stephen

Monday, June 30, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Any idea if they are going to make 1776 available to the larger group?  I'm experiencing the same issue, not too concerned for the moment though.  Thanks,
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:41 PM
  • No idea, 1776 was provided to those who submitted a valid bug report.

Monday, July 7, 2008 10:03 PM
  •  rjheld wrote:
    Any idea if they are going to make 1776 available to the larger group?  I'm experiencing the same issue, not too concerned for the moment though.  Thanks,

You could try filing your own bug report for the problem you're experiencing.  They might allow you access to 1776 at that point.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:55 AM
  • Hi,

It took me a while to test it, but I can confirm that build 1776 has fixed the issue for me: the server runs exactly as it should: indexing finished in a reasonable amount of time, Media Sharing can now be enabled without bringing the CPU to 100% and the power consumption is where it should be, but slightly higher than without PP1...

Best regards,

Stephen

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 9:09 PM