locked
Account Access help please RRS feed

  • Question

  • Got lot's of issues going on and could use some advice on what to try.

    I installed (tried to, anyway) the Connect software on my wife's system - a XP Pro SP2.
    After creating the account on the server I am able to connect to the server and see all the various folders.

    I can access the Server Console from the computer but in the Computers and Backup tab her account is greyed out. Clicking on "Configure Backup" returns the error, "Lani can not be contacted. Make sure the computer is on and connected to the network".
    The icon at the bottom of her screen is yellow and indicates "Server does not recognize your user acount".

    The workgroup is set correctly. Login in name and password are correct.
    I can see the server (but not access it from the browser), but can access the directories from Network Places or Windows Explorer.

    Any ideas of where to start chasing this?

    Monday, March 12, 2007 11:37 PM

Answers

  • Ok, just to start at the beginning,

     Courtney123 wrote:

    Got lot's of issues going on and could use some advice on what to try.

    I installed (tried to, anyway) the Connect software on my wife's system - a XP Pro SP2.
    After creating the account on the server I am able to connect to the server and see all the various folders.



    When you computer is first turned on, do you come to a log in screen, or does it boot straight to windows desktop? If you are logging in, have you registered that name and password as a user account in WHS?

     Courtney123 wrote:

    I can access the Server Console from the computer but in the Computers and Backup tab her account is greyed out. Clicking on "Configure Backup" returns the error, "Lani can not be contacted. Make sure the computer is on and connected to the network".

    The icon at the bottom of her screen is yellow and indicates "Server does not recognize your user acount".


    Again, is the user name and password that you use when you installed connect the same as what you have logged on with during bootup?

     Courtney123 wrote:

    The workgroup is set correctly. Login in name and password are correct.
    I can see the server (but not access it from the browser), but can access the directories from Network Places or Windows Explorer.



    Can you just see your directories, or can you actually open them and get access to your files?

    I believe that if you are not a authorized user on WHS, you can still see the directory structure but that is it. Unless you are logged on with a recognized WHS account and password, only then will it let you go deeper and access files.

    Are you using any firewalls? Live OneCare perhaps?

    I need some info about what you said "Login in name and password are correct."

    Sorry for all the basic questions.

    Dawg.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:37 AM

All replies

  • Ok, just to start at the beginning,

     Courtney123 wrote:

    Got lot's of issues going on and could use some advice on what to try.

    I installed (tried to, anyway) the Connect software on my wife's system - a XP Pro SP2.
    After creating the account on the server I am able to connect to the server and see all the various folders.



    When you computer is first turned on, do you come to a log in screen, or does it boot straight to windows desktop? If you are logging in, have you registered that name and password as a user account in WHS?

     Courtney123 wrote:

    I can access the Server Console from the computer but in the Computers and Backup tab her account is greyed out. Clicking on "Configure Backup" returns the error, "Lani can not be contacted. Make sure the computer is on and connected to the network".

    The icon at the bottom of her screen is yellow and indicates "Server does not recognize your user acount".


    Again, is the user name and password that you use when you installed connect the same as what you have logged on with during bootup?

     Courtney123 wrote:

    The workgroup is set correctly. Login in name and password are correct.
    I can see the server (but not access it from the browser), but can access the directories from Network Places or Windows Explorer.



    Can you just see your directories, or can you actually open them and get access to your files?

    I believe that if you are not a authorized user on WHS, you can still see the directory structure but that is it. Unless you are logged on with a recognized WHS account and password, only then will it let you go deeper and access files.

    Are you using any firewalls? Live OneCare perhaps?

    I need some info about what you said "Login in name and password are correct."

    Sorry for all the basic questions.

    Dawg.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:37 AM
  • >>When you computer is first turned on, do you come to a log in screen, or does it boot straight to windows desktop? If you are logging in, have you registered that name and password as a user account in WHS?

    It goes to a login screen and it's registered in MHS.

    >>Again, is the user name and password that you use when you installed connect the same as what you have logged on with during bootup?

    Correct.

    >>Can you just see your directories, or can you actually open them and get access to your files?

    Open and access.

    I'm going to reinstall everythig - sever and client. See what happens. Thanks for the assist.

    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:14 AM