U-Verse and WHS RRS feed

• Question

• The U-Verse STB's have been upgraded to now work as media extenders. They require WMP 11 to work properly (they will work with WMP10 although not all features will work). Are there plans in the works to upgrade the WMP on the WHS or is there a way to put WMP 11 on the server that does not require an exrensive work around?

Saturday, December 12, 2009 8:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm not aware of any plans to put Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Home Server V1. WMP 11 is a desktop application, will not install without "an exrensive (sic) work around", and is in any case unsupported on the platform. It's possible that a future version of Windows Home Server will include better media handling; it's a popular product suggestion. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:20 AM
  • Workarounds exist for installing WMP11 directly on WHS, to get certain functionality to work. This is one: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1802424&SiteID=50. I found it by searching google for "WHS WMP11", which took me to mediasmartserver.net, which linked back to that post.

Of course, it's not supported by Microsoft.
    • Edited by ChrisCowles Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:17 PM edited link to point to MS forum, rather than external forum
    • Marked as answer by TOD1954 Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:44 PM
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:15 PM