none
Acer Aspire easyStore h340 and McAfee removal help RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Acer Aspire easyStore h340 and I want to remove McAfee Total Protection Service.  It is factory fresh and McAfee has not been activated.  This is my first exposure to any server of any kind so if you have any advice please don't assume I already know how to do anything.  I have tried to remove it by the McAfee KB65958 using their mvsuninst.exe file without any luck.  The file executes and appears to do something but the two registry entries that I am supposed to remove next are not there (KnownAdditions and RegisteredAdditions).  I tried deleting a McAfee folder in the registry and it would not delete.  I have talked to McAfee tech support and they are clueless.  They assured me the program is no longer on my machine yet it keeps nagging me telling me that McAffe isn't activated and my computer is at risk.  The icons are still in the Control Panel as well as under the Settings link on the Control Panel.  Can anyone out there give me detailed instructions on how to scrub this machine to remove all traces of the McAfee garbage?

Thanks,
    RCG3
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:34 PM

Answers

• I have called McAfee three times and Acer three times.  Both are incompetent and point at each other.  I have performed a Server restore three times in hopes that it would install like most everyone else.  The last time I restored I went ahead and activated McAfee and it is installed and says it is functioning properly (some of the time).  Then it will tell me the "Total Protection Service is down".  All I really want to do is get rid of the McAfee garbage.  If I open the Console or RD in and look under Add-ins there is absolutely nothing showing up (two completely blank tabs) under "Available" and "Installed".  I have rebooted no less than 25 times with no change.  I can see the McAfee programs in the Control Panel under add/remove programs but McAfee's KB warns against using the add/remove method.  The first time around I used there mvsuninstl.exe to remove but that didn't work either.  Am I the only one that is having this issue?  There must be some answers out there.  This is already way more trouble than it is worth.  If McAfee isn't bad enough just call their tech no support.

Whether they like it or not, it is Acer's responsibility to support the product as-is when sold (meaning anything they have added to the default MS WHS installation, including McAfee A/V, falls on them, not McAfee and certainly not MS).

My suggestion:  Call Acer one more time and demand to speak to (at least) a level 2 tech and/or supervisor.  If they refuse and/or can't help you, take it back for a refund.  (Frankly, after the trouble you've apparently had with Acer support, I would have already taken it back.)  FYI, Acer is not the only company building WHS products (HP currently has 3 different products using that OS).  Or, if you are so inclined, you can always purchase the OEM license by itself and build your own server (although, if you aren't familiar with computer hardware, I would advise against that).
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:02 PM
  • I have a new Acer Aspire easyStore h340 and I want to remove McAfee Total Protection Service.  It is factory fresh and McAfee has not been activated.  This is my first exposure to any server of any kind so if you have any advice please don't assume I already know how to do anything.  I have tried to remove it by the McAfee KB65958 using their mvsuninst.exe file without any luck.  The file executes and appears to do something but the two registry entries that I am supposed to remove next are not there (KnownAdditions and RegisteredAdditions).  I tried deleting a McAfee folder in the registry and it would not delete.  I have talked to McAfee tech support and they are clueless.  They assured me the program is no longer on my machine yet it keeps nagging me telling me that McAffe isn't activated and my computer is at risk.  The icons are still in the Control Panel as well as under the Settings link on the Control Panel.  Can anyone out there give me detailed instructions on how to scrub this machine to remove all traces of the McAfee garbage?

Thanks,
    RCG3

It should be (or at least should have been before you started trying to get rid of it) in the Add-ins section of the Console (under the installed tab).  You might check to see if that's there.  If so, try uninstalling it from there.  Otherwise, you should call Acer (not McAfee) for support.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:23 AM

All replies

Thanks,
    RCG3

It should be (or at least should have been before you started trying to get rid of it) in the Add-ins section of the Console (under the installed tab).  You might check to see if that's there.  If so, try uninstalling it from there.  Otherwise, you should call Acer (not McAfee) for support.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:23 AM
  • I have called McAfee three times and Acer three times.  Both are incompetent and point at each other.  I have performed a Server restore three times in hopes that it would install like most everyone else.  The last time I restored I went ahead and activated McAfee and it is installed and says it is functioning properly (some of the time).  Then it will tell me the "Total Protection Service is down".  All I really want to do is get rid of the McAfee garbage.  If I open the Console or RD in and look under Add-ins there is absolutely nothing showing up (two completely blank tabs) under "Available" and "Installed".  I have rebooted no less than 25 times with no change.  I can see the McAfee programs in the Control Panel under add/remove programs but McAfee's KB warns against using the add/remove method.  The first time around I used there mvsuninstl.exe to remove but that didn't work either.  Am I the only one that is having this issue?  There must be some answers out there.  This is already way more trouble than it is worth.  If McAfee isn't bad enough just call their tech no support.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:49 AM

Whether they like it or not, it is Acer's responsibility to support the product as-is when sold (meaning anything they have added to the default MS WHS installation, including McAfee A/V, falls on them, not McAfee and certainly not MS).

My suggestion:  Call Acer one more time and demand to speak to (at least) a level 2 tech and/or supervisor.  If they refuse and/or can't help you, take it back for a refund.  (Frankly, after the trouble you've apparently had with Acer support, I would have already taken it back.)  FYI, Acer is not the only company building WHS products (HP currently has 3 different products using that OS).  Or, if you are so inclined, you can always purchase the OEM license by itself and build your own server (although, if you aren't familiar with computer hardware, I would advise against that).
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Oh, Acer assures me that for $59 they can fix it.  I don't think they can fix anything for any amount of money.  The McAfee and Acer and for that matter HP tech support probably share the same cubicle.  I made it as far as the supervisor.  I bought it from Newegg which has a replacement only clause on this item.  I have an RMA number for it already but I can't understand why restoring it to factory settings with the Server Restore disk didn't make it just like everyone else that has purchased this unit.  I have applied all the updates but one that fails.  It is a critical update KB958687.  Could that shed some light on the problem?  An RMA will set me back another $25 for shipping with no gaurantee of anything.  There must be someone with the same issue and answer out there.........
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Still needing help desperately!  Sent the Acer back where it came from in hopes that the software was the cause of this mess and bought another of the same kind.  The new one is exactly the same.  No McAfee in the Add-ins.  If I RDT in and click on the McAfee icon in the task bar it says the trial is over.  The WHS console says that some of the McAfee components are not functioning.  The "Update" link is grayed out.  Useless POS.  Nags every twenty minute about my unprotected server.  The McAfee TPS version is 4.9.2.124 and the Spyware Protection Service is version 4.9.2.237 if I look under the Add/Remove menu in the control panel.  The control panel is the only way I can see to remove it but McCrappy specifically warns against this.  Should I assume they don't know ____ and go for it?

Please help...........

Anyone else with the same issue?  Surely there must be.

Thanks,
    RCG3
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:55 PM
  • Honestly, if Acer won't support you, you should consider another supplier. But I can think of no reason why Acer wouldn't support you. Call back. Write. Explain that you would like to be able to use the product, but you don't want to use McAfee and it's expired, so you need to know how to remove it. Be patient and polite. Don't give up.

Unfortunately I don't think there's anyone here who's going to be able to tell you how to get McAfee off your server...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:12 PM
  • You could try this, step 2 it might work..
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:29 PM
  • I have called them four times.  It's not that they don't want to help, they can't help because my problem isn't in the book they are reading from.  After telling me to do all the things that everyone else does to uninstall it we get to the part where neither of the servers I purchased has anything under the installed or available tabs straight out of the box.  There is no TopWHSaddin.msi anywhere on the computer.  No "RegisterdAddins" or "Knownaddins" in the registry.  Then they want me to call another Acer number and pay them $59 to try and fix it.  It appears to me that Acer is no longer installing the McAfee ____ via a msi installer and the so called Tech Support is clueless.  It ihas be getting installed via another route.  I can't believe that I can order two servers on different days with screwed up software on both of them.  This has to be unique to the Acer Aspire easyStore h340 server.  Any generic advice not related to this box isn't going to help.  Thanks anyway............
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Thanks, but doesn't work.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:07 PM
  • I did a search in the registry on "McAfee".
    This is a key that could point you in the right direction:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\6FB4DCFCD3023124AB4BC341904582B7

In the subkey SourceList it mentions the TOPWHSaddin....msi

Good Luck!
    Don't forget the backup!
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:36 PM
  • The McAfee software is baked into the image they use, probably. The inability to remove it like any other add-in is a result of that. HP has an add-in that works much the same way; you can't remove it because it's baked in.

I think you're just not getting the right people on the phone. You tempt me to buy one, just so I can be a polite but noisy nuisance until I get it addressed. (And I can guarantee that I will get it addressed...) 

But my wife would tell me to go sleep in the box the server came in, and even though I'm not a big guy, I doubt I'd fit...

Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:43 PM
  • From Amazon's customer reviews, I found this from someone who bought the Acer server:  "Probably because I did a fresh install, mcafee virus checker said I only had 1 day of subscription left so I just went ahead and remote-desktoped into the server and used the control panel's add-remove programs to get rid of it. Microsoft will be releasing a free virus product (formerly one care) in the very near future and I'm sure the server can survive that long. "

No further word by the reviewer regarding McAfee, so I assume that using the Control Panel add-remove programs trick worked.  In fact, the reviewer ends by saying, "All told I'm getting along with the ACER quite nicely, its providing the same WHS experience I had on my old box but in a much nicer form-factor (and easier on my electric bill and air-conditioning!). I can safely say this is the best and smartest purchasing decision I've made all year."

So, why not try using the Uninstall program from Control Panel, McAfee's warnings be d*!ned.
    • Edited by famousdavis Friday, August 21, 2009 2:45 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 2:36 PM
  • famousdavis,

I think that's about where I'm at.  I am a little nervous of losing access to it since it is a headless unit.  Sounds like it has worked for a few out there.

Ken,

I dare you to buy one and venture into Acer tech support land.  :)  You would have to educate them on their own product before they could help.  No fair paying $59 for help either.......

RCG3

Thanks for continuing to search for answers!
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:11 PM
  • RCG3,

Totally agree on your thoughts about Acer product support.  In my own Amazon review, I pointed out that no one should venture into WHS-land expecting Acer to support their WHS server.  I was comfortable trying this out because I work in IT, but heaven help the average home user who wants things to just work right out-of-the-box.  My WHS install was pretty good, overall, but I tailspinned by not realizing my Bellsouth modem is a router, too (which kept me from using remote access). 

I concluded that in order to hit a low price-point in the WHS market, Acer has to spend very little money on product support.  I can actually understand their motive, too, since only computer hobbyists and enthusiasts would pluck down $400 for -- what? -- a "headless server."  You only really appreciate having a server when you do encounter a hard drive crash (rare) or a totally messed-up system from one-too-many program installs and/or updates (frequent!).
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Hello there
    Same issue - sort of
    - I removed McAfee from the control panel - you are probably best to create a remote desktop conectiona and enter that way and use the control panel
    - On XP - go to accessories - click on remote desktop connection - I am pretty sure I simply typed in the server name like "server" or whatever is the name of your server and you will end up with a small box - user name will need to be administrator and you will use the main password for your server - easy and clean and it looks like our desktop
    - Good luck :)
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:23 AM
  • I found a post where someone succeeded in uninstall McAfee from the Acer EasyStore.

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/forum/thread/10965/McAfee-removal-help/

If this is really the solution to our solution. Please return and let us kow!

Greetz,
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:51 AM
  • He is having a different issue with McCrappy than I am.  He actually had a msi add-in to install but it failed.  My problem is that McCrappy is integrated into the software on the server and the server recovery disk.  There is no option to install or uninstall under Add-ins.  I can remove it from Add/Remove in the control panel but haven't had the guts to try yet because of a specific KB65958 dated 6/26/09 that warns against it.  It also references the TopWHSaddin.msi file and the two registry entries that don't exist on my server.  I just waiting for someone else with the same problem to come forward with a success story.  For now I am ignoring the system warnings.

Thanks,
    RCG3

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:30 PM
  • RCG3,

You should scroll down on the page http://www.mediasmarthome.com/forum/thread/10965/McAfee-removal-help/

At the end of this page, there is a post of wcalexan.
    He also has an Acer device which has (as all Acer H340's have) McAfee pre-loaded, NO msi.
    He describes the steps very well on how he uninstalled McAfee Total Protection.

Gr,
    st_bus
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:02 AM
  • OK....after searching and searching....and reading and reading..  all of the different ways to remove Mcaffee....that didnt work.  I DID find a way that DOES work.!!!!!  Go to this link

https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/318

and follow what it says to do.  I NO LONGER have Mc CRAPPY ____..on my ACER Home server!!!  Don't listen to what ANYONE says about NOT using add remove from the Control Panel...  My server is still up and running and I have lost NOTHING!!! 

I use my server to store ALL of my photos for a large photography business (OVER 3 Gigs worth and counting)  so I really wanted to make sure my stuff is SAFE.....and HATE MC CRAPPY....and NORTON for that matter.....with a PASSION.... I'll be using F-Secure....

Just go in using Windows Remote Access, You may get a bunch of warnings that there is a bunch of illegal operations happening....not to worry, home server is just running the applications that are installed on it...such as media server and the likes....just click them to go away...check off any boxes that say "do not notify again" and continue to the XP style GUI desktop....you'll see the start button down at the bottom....and you should know where to go from there.

Good Luck
    Bob
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Have now just succesfully installed F-Secure for Windows Home Sever and it installed with NO problems and is runnning fine......

Hope this helps the original question...way up at the top, as I was having the EXACT problem...no way of removing McAfee and all the registry files stated were missing.  I never bothered to check and see if running the McAfee uninstaller on the Server from within Remote Access would work or not, and looking for the registry files in the server registry, but the way ABOVE in my previous post WORKED for me......

:) :) :)

Good Luck All.....  I truly do LOVE my home server!!  It has saved my bottom once before when my Vista 64 system messed up and I had to "restore" a backup of my system at the MOST worst TIME.....When I was buildin my WIFE's website and it HAD to be up by morning or she might have committed a very bad thing while I slept.......

Don't shy away from it anyone....it's a fantastic little unit!!!!!!!!

Regards
    Bob 
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:01 AM
  • OK....after searching and searching....and reading and reading..  all of the different ways to remove Mcaffee....that didnt work.  I DID find a way that DOES work.!!!!!  Go to this link

https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/318

and follow what it says to do.  I NO LONGER have Mc CRAPPY ____..on my ACER Home server!!!  Don't listen to what ANYONE says about NOT using add remove from the Control Panel...  My server is still up and running and I have lost NOTHING!!! 

I use my server to store ALL of my photos for a large photography business (OVER 3 Gigs worth and counting)  so I really wanted to make sure my stuff is SAFE.....and HATE MC CRAPPY....and NORTON for that matter.....with a PASSION.... I'll be using F-Secure....

Just go in using Windows Remote Access, You may get a bunch of warnings that there is a bunch of illegal operations happening....not to worry, home server is just running the applications that are installed on it...such as media server and the likes....just click them to go away...check off any boxes that say "do not notify again" and continue to the XP style GUI desktop....you'll see the start button down at the bottom....and you should know where to go from there.

Good Luck
    Bob

Bob,
    I have been dealing with sick kids for the past few days (swine flu :() and wasn't able to check in.  I just went to the link and it seems the answer is no longer there unless I'm blind.  Any chance you remember the steps??

Thanks,
    RCG3
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 12:46 AM
  • RCG,

I just received an h340 today and saw the same thing you did, so I got grumpy and started googling.  I found another forum with a thread for someone looking to do the same thing you (and I) wanted to accomplish.  I saw a couple of people try some crazy things, but I found one guy who kept it simple and succeeded.  I followed his steps and encountered no problems.  Here's what I did to remove it:

First of all, I should mention that I unboxed the unit, performed all the update steps I was instructed to by the software, and logged into the WHS console.  Under Settings | Resources, my device reports as:

Microsoft Windows---

Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1

Home Server---
    Acer Aspire easyStore H340
    Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 230  @ 1.60GHz, Intel(R) Atom(TM...
    1.99 GB of RAM

Version Information---

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.8
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

Here are the steps I followed to remove it:

1. Logged in to the WHS as Administrator via Remote Desktop Connection
    2. Opened Add/Remove Programs through the Control Panel
    3. Selected McAffee packages (there are 2) one at a time and removed them.
    4. Rebooted the easyStore.

On reboot, I connected via WHS console and verified evidence of McAffee is removed both in the top row of buttons and in the left column under Settings.

I then RDCed back in as Administrator and ran regedit to see if I could find any lingering McAffee entries, and did not.

If I encounter any problems as a result, I'll update the thread, but things are looking pretty good on my WHS.

In your case, I would imagine doing some sort of factory restore prior to trying this would yield the best results.  I don't know if that's an option for you or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.  Good luck to you.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:32 PM
  • RCG,

I just received an h340 today and saw the same thing you did, so I got grumpy and started googling.  I found another forum with a thread for someone looking to do the same thing you (and I) wanted to accomplish.  I saw a couple of people try some crazy things, but I found one guy who kept it simple and succeeded.  I followed his steps and encountered no problems.  Here's what I did to remove it:

First of all, I should mention that I unboxed the unit, performed all the update steps I was instructed to by the software, and logged into the WHS console.  Under Settings | Resources, my device reports as:

Microsoft Windows---

Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1

Home Server---
    Acer Aspire easyStore H340
    Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 230  @ 1.60GHz, Intel(R) Atom(TM...
    1.99 GB of RAM

Version Information---

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.8
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

Here are the steps I followed to remove it:

1. Logged in to the WHS as Administrator via Remote Desktop Connection
    2. Opened Add/Remove Programs through the Control Panel
    3. Selected McAffee packages (there are 2) one at a time and removed them.
    4. Rebooted the easyStore.

On reboot, I connected via WHS console and verified evidence of McAffee is removed both in the top row of buttons and in the left column under Settings.

I then RDCed back in as Administrator and ran regedit to see if I could find any lingering McAffee entries, and did not.

If I encounter any problems as a result, I'll update the thread, but things are looking pretty good on my WHS.

In your case, I would imagine doing some sort of factory restore prior to trying this would yield the best results.  I don't know if that's an option for you or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.  Good luck to you.

FYI, your server is not up-to-date.  Power Pack 2 is out.  You should keep updating your server through the Console until it says there are no new updates for Windows Home Server.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:26 AM
  • Hello,
    I know that this is an old topic but I contacted McAfee and they provided me with an email that contains a newer KB dated September 18, 2009.  I confirmed with a search in their Enterprise support web site that they have instructions for removing Total Protection in KB54834.  Search for the KB article at: https://mysupport.mcafee.com/eservice/TemplatePage.aspx?sURL=3

I purchased an Acer H340 this week and will try this technique when I install the server two weeks from now.  Hopefully this newer article has the correct steps.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:34 AM
  • Thank you Boosz!  The warnings you have to go through to accomplish this are scary, but as you said, just forge ahead.  Worked fine -- server and contents intact and no more McAfee!

When are these companies going to learn that pre-installed software doesn't do anything but make their customers angry.  I'm certainly much less likely to ever buy a McAfee product now than I was before I got nagged all the time and had to google around to try and find a fix.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Hi there,
    I got my WHS right after Thanksgiving, and I am finally getting around to tweaking it.  Yep, the McAfee trial period is over, and when I tried to buy it, it still won't install properly.  I don't have any .msi files in the list of installed Add-Ins.  I've been on the phone with tech (no)support.  This thread of comments helped me immensely.

So, I'm going to try exactly what Squick has written here.  I guess I have a question on step one, which shows how much of a total noob I am... 

How are you logging in as Administrator via remote desktop?  Are you using the Windows Home Server Console?

Thanks for the help.  I can't wait to get McCrappy off this server and go with something different.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:18 PM
  • On XP (I assume you'll be able to figure out Vista/Windows 7 :) ):

• Start/Run/type "mstsc.exe" and press Enter.
    • Then type the name of your server in the dialog that pops up and press Enter.
    • Type Administrator fot the user name, and the console password, and press Enter.
    • Read the warning that will display once you've logged in. Take it to heart, as there really are tools that can cause significant problems available here.
    • Proceed with the uninstallation.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:44 PM
  • I also had to deal with this issue. For whatever reason, RDC'ing and trying to use the built-in Windows uninstall utility would not completely uninstall the McAfee crapware. I "kind-of" uninstalled the "Total Protection" entry with this method, but actually it never completed cleanly, although the entry was gone from the Uninstall utility after I rebooted. This isn't a great result, as you know there is probably a bunch of stuff it left behind, and you no longer have the Uninstall entry to act on.

There was still the "Antivirus and Spyware" entry in the Uninstall utility, which I tried several times to get to complete, but it would just hang every time and never seemed to accomplish anything. One good thing is that the entry stayed in the Uninstall utility, so I had a chance to redeem my failed uninstallation using the method below. I finally got rid of everything (I think) by doing this:

1. (this step may be unnecessary, but I would do it just in case) - Download and run Process Explorer and "Kill" anything by McAfee that is currently running on your WHS. Processes are listed with a software publisher field, unlike the built-in Windows Task manager, so you can tell which ones you need to kill easily

2. As someone else mentioned above, download and install Revo Uninstaller , and use that to uninstall the Mcafee crapware. One bonus to using this is that it finds a few registry entries that you can choose to delete after uninstalling, and you wouldn't get this even if you were successful with Windows built-in uninstaller.

Some people have said they were able to successfully uninstall the McAfee crapware with only the built-in Windows uninstall utility, but if you are having trouble, or if you just want to make sure you get rid of it the first time, I'd recommended following these steps. Hope this helps
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Ken, your an genius! I just got my Acer Aspire easyStore h340I and was having the same problem the original poster had, and your advise fixed it. No where in the documentation included with this server does it say how to get there (at least no where I could find). Thanks!
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:10 PM
  • hi,thank you for info....but al laast i called mcaffe....windows so microsoft so acer, trykk ALT + F10, Standard cut/copy and paste answer.

Not correct,to use so SIMPLE answer, when this computer "organisation(s)" go together and sell/put together "non" tryed out software.

they eaarn just more money, maybe B.Gates(bill to ____,(not him but company(s)policy,structure..making most profit its all thats matter....

know usa policy by intergrap, also Norway intergraph,,,,selling big time software before compl.as poss.tryed out,been tested out systems, and

stod a long time for refer back to programers about "misstakes" in software after sold...back in 1994/95..and they come to fix tht time for ca. 1200,- each hour....i will have billions if i could do the same with cars,,,only me selling exclusive/very expansive car,built in engine error,easy fix to high cost...money for me..reason that b.g.was world champ. in moneyranking....looooong way back,but they is back...WHY.....IN LOWER CLASSES PEOPLE GO TO LONG JAIL/BIGTIME PAYMENT FOR SMALL THINGS...IN NORWAY,FIKS WITH NAV KR 6000,- = 8 MND.JAIL++

• Proposed as answer by ComicDom1 Monday, December 6, 2010 12:30 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Sorry about my last post, I hit the wrong button.

The way to get Mc affe off the Easystore 340H is to download and install the Advanced Desktop Console for Windows Home Server 2003.    This is an add in under the setting tab in your Windows Server Home connector. 

Once you have this installed, click on Advanced Desktop Console and go to the extreme right of your screen and there should be a drop down arrow in the bar underneath the icons.   Open the Drop down and click on show desktop.  It will put up a warning page.  Close and ignore the warning page.   You might need to click on minimize at the bottom right to get the page closed.  Once you do this you can see the Desktop of Windows Home Server 2003.   Click on Start, Go to the Control panel and add/Remove programs just like you would XP.  Then there should be two entries in your add/remove programs for Mc affe .  Remove one at a time and this will remove Mc Affe from your server 2003 desktop and also your Home Server connector console.  Why Mc Affe is forced on us in this software and also at Adobe's website is beyond me.

Hope this helps.

Jason
    ComicDom1@aol.com

• Proposed as answer by ComicDom1 Monday, December 6, 2010 12:57 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 12:40 AM
  • Good Luck with the $59 deal. I spent it and they fixed nothing. I did learn some Indian dialect from India while fooling with this problem. I installed Avast on the server and somehow the McAfee went away. Acer people can't even put a serial number that it's phone prompt system can read. My unit is about 1 and 1/2 years old and the network controller is inoperative. Any clue how to fix without Acer involvement? Just asking for some help. Anybody?!? Thanks
    Monday, December 27, 2010 2:24 AM
  • This worked for me.  Thanks.  McAfee is uninstalled and it disappeared from the Windows Home Server console.  No more nags.

First I uninstalled the McAfee AntiVirus and Spyware.  When it went through the process, it said it also successfully uninstalled McAfee Total Protection, but the entry was still listed in add/remove programs, even after a refresh.  So, I uninstalled McAfee Total Protection, it uninstalled successfully.  I rebooted, no errors, no McAfee, no problem.  Good riddance.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Hy every one,

i have a H340 and afer an update at McAfee i  can't acces my NAS.

He can't connect at  my network.

Somebody sugest some hint?

Best regards,

Ovidiu. 

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:56 PM