Help replacing Main drive in Server - question RRS feed

• Question

•   From the strange noise coming from my box every time I access my server I fear I am about to lose my main server drive , I would like to replace it rather than back everything off my server and then reinstall everything new and re-upload all my data.

My question is before my drive gives out completely can I:

place a new drive into the pool large enough to hold the first (main) drive then remove the main drive (old bad disk) from the drive pool list through the Server  control panel system settings? will the new disk then become the main drive??

OR would I have to:

use a program like True Image to copy the main drive image over to a new drive? and will this even work?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I have NO idea how to proceed here.

thanks for any help

Tall , dark....chubby...and handsome.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

You may want to investigate a bit more to make sure that it is your system drive going bad and not simply a fan or other device making noises.  Are there any disk errors in the event viewer or has WHS asked you to run the disk check utility on any drives?

There are a few things you can do if you fear your system drive is going bad.

The preferred option (and the commonly suggested option) is to:

1. Turn folder duplication on for all of your WHS shares.
    1a. make sure that finishes...
    2. Shut down WHS
    3. Remove the system drive.
    4. Install new system drive.
    5. Re-install WHS (or use recovery drive if you have HP Mediasmart/3rd party hardware).  Please install the correct IDE hard drive drivers if applicable.  Make sure your system drive is in the list of drives to install on and make sure you install WHS on the correct drive.  In addition make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the correct drive after replacing the system drive.

Upon re-install WHS will recognize any of your data drives and add them (and restore the data on them) to your new install.  The instructions are pretty explicit, don't remove any of your other drives etc, during this process.

You may want to make a backup of the data on your shares to an external disk using the server backup functionality of WHS.  This will ensure you have backups of your data in case anything goes wrong.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 4:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

You may want to investigate a bit more to make sure that it is your system drive going bad and not simply a fan or other device making noises.  Are there any disk errors in the event viewer or has WHS asked you to run the disk check utility on any drives?

There are a few things you can do if you fear your system drive is going bad.

The preferred option (and the commonly suggested option) is to:

1. Turn folder duplication on for all of your WHS shares.
    1a. make sure that finishes...
    2. Shut down WHS
    3. Remove the system drive.
    4. Install new system drive.
    5. Re-install WHS (or use recovery drive if you have HP Mediasmart/3rd party hardware).  Please install the correct IDE hard drive drivers if applicable.  Make sure your system drive is in the list of drives to install on and make sure you install WHS on the correct drive.  In addition make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the correct drive after replacing the system drive.

Upon re-install WHS will recognize any of your data drives and add them (and restore the data on them) to your new install.  The instructions are pretty explicit, don't remove any of your other drives etc, during this process.

You may want to make a backup of the data on your shares to an external disk using the server backup functionality of WHS.  This will ensure you have backups of your data in case anything goes wrong.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 4:10 AM
  • On top of what Chris said - if your home server has a longer history or is low on disk space, there still may be data on the D: drive - backups and shared folders. The Add-In WHS disk management can show you, how much space is used on each disk.
    If there is data on that drive, it will be lost (if it comes to client backups) or you have to copy it back from the hidden folder DE\shares for shared folders.
    To avoid this, given there is still enough space on the disk, log on locally and uninstall the November update KB957825.
    Download and run LZReallocator to trigger WHS to relocate the data stored on D:.
    If this is finished, you can go on.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:29 AM
  •   Hello and thanks for the replies ,

Yes , My event viewer is FULL of errors , http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3954/eventviwered3.jpg , they all point to SATA 1 as the problem.
    also I cannot delete my PC backups , I have tried repair and clean up and neither works , it shows its working but the data is still there and there is a "volsnap" error in event viewer due to sata C:/f: every time I try.

My drive space looks like:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9564/serverzi1.jpg

as you can see the backups take up a LOT of space and the main files I want are duplicated at 233GB , so I tried to remove the backup files last night (and even ran a repair) 4 times and they will not go away. I assume that my 233GB of files duplicates are on my second drive but so must be a huge amount of the PC backups.

Also as you can see its falsely reporting the drives as healthy yet every time I access the server I can hear my main drive screeching like something is broken or squeaking.

I guess I could try to pull down the 233Gb of data and then just start over from scratch , but I'm afraid this thing is going to fail on me and then I'm screwed so , I guess I'm going to try Chris's solution and hope for the best , If it recognizes my data drive I'm golden and hopefully will just have to run a repair to remove the most likely fragmented pieces of my PC backups.

I'll check back after work tonight with my new drive in hand to see if there are any final suggestions , thanks

PS: If you can't see my images let me know.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:06 PM
  • If you're certain that the drive on SATA 1 is your system drive, then I would just turn on duplication for every share (assuming you have sufficient free space in the storage pool to do so) and abandon the backup database. After you turn on duplication for everything wait a couple of hours, then shut down your server. At that point, the backup database is the only thing you can't be certain you'll save, in terms of data stored on your server, and it's essentially fungible anyway; your home PCs can be used to recreate it.

Then replace the system disk, perform a server reinstallation, and your shares should be okay. If you don't get the option for a reinstallation, in addition to new installation, at the screen where you're asked what type of installation you want to do, then stop and get back to us.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:36 PM
  • Hi,
    to remove the backups you should first remove the PCs from the console.
    After that run a backup cleanup.
    This should free up the storage used for the backups. (All other methods would recreate the backups.)
    Can you double click such an SATA controller event and copy / paste the text shown for the event?
    There are various potential reasons for such errors: a broken disk, bad cable connection, bad drivers.
    So the details of the event could be helpfull to determine the reason.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:36 PM

• It looks like you have duplication on for all of your shares (in the image duplication size = share size).  What this means is that your good drive contains a copy of all your data in the shares.  Given that fact you should be safe doing a server reinstall/install.  You will, however, lose your backups (you can make a backup of your backups, but it sounds like you're trying to delete them anyway).

I tend to not leave things up to chance in this situation.  I suggest backing up your server data onto a separate hard drive (you can try using the server backup functionality, but it sounds like the system drive will inhibit that).  To backup the server's share data - you can attach a hard drive (>share size) to WHS and instead of adding it to the storage pool use it as a backup drive.  The other way to backup the data is to attach the good drive to a windows computer and copy all the contents from that hard drive (should be in DE directory) to another location.  Once that's done reattach the good drive to the WHS box and perform the reinstall.

(as a note, technically you should be able to do a server reinstall without losing your data.  This is because you have duplication turned on for all shares)

Chris

Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:17 PM
  •   First off thanks for all the great and FAST advice , I think I have enough info to at least have a fair chance at a successful recovery.

I think after reading all the above I think i will proceed in this manor , I already have share duplication on I set my server up this way , I did it JIC something like this was to happen so I'm good there. I'm figuring the backups are a loss at this point and as stated I can recreate them after the recovery BUT I will attempt to wipe them out as per Olaf's advice to hopefully make things easier.

Then , as a precaution , I am going to attempt to bring down my shares to a large drive on one of my PC's , I will then shut down the server system and remove the bad drive (I'm pretty sure its the system drive as I looked at the reviews at newegg and this same thing has happened , screeching noise , with several other customers of the same drive although this drive actually lasted a year non-stop) and then replace it with the new drive.

I will then reboot and make sure I have the correct drive and reinstall the system.

Now if I understand correctly at this point it SHOULD see my backup shares and restore them and will most likely see any left over PC backup data as corrupt and hopefully remove it or ask me to repair it at which time it will most likely remove it.

I think thats about all I can do so , wish me luck.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow as I am watching the NFL playoffs tonight as that is mandatory as stated in "ManLaw"  , thanks for all the advice I think I have a pretty good chance here!

PS: BTW this drive is making a loud noise now one I can't even describe , its actually louder than the power supply fan..lol!! I'm going to try to grab some of those Event viewer errors and copy/paste them too , who knows might help someone else down the road.

::::edit::: 

Some of the errors:

they start off ,

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: UlSata
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 9
    Date:  1/10/2009
    Time:  12:49:48 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: COMSERVER
    Description:
    The device, \Device\Scsi\UlSata1, did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 0f 00 10 00 01 00 66 00   ......f.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 09 00 04 c0   .......À
    0010: 01 01 00 50 00 00 00 00   ...P....
    0018: f2 22 02 00 00 00 00 00   ò"......
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0028: 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00   ........
    0030: 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00   ........

then go to , 

Event Source: UlSata
    Event ID: 117
    Time:  12:50:22 PM
    Description:
    The driver for device \Device\Scsi\UlSata1 detected a port timeout due to prolonged inactivity. All associated busses were reset in an effort to clear the condition.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 56 00   ......V.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 75 00 04 c0   ....u..À
    0010: 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........

then end at this error , 

Event Source: VolSnap
    Event ID: 14
    Time:  12:50:22 PM
    Description:
    The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\K were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:\fs\K.

Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 58 00   ......X.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 0e 00 06 c0   .......À
    0010: 0b 00 00 00 85 01 00 c0   ....…..À
    0018: 3f 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ?.......

Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Hello,
    "The shadow copies of volume C:\fs\K were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:\fs\K"
    this message points to a problem accessing one of the data disks.
    You may also wish to check the cables inside the case (SATA cables not always are connected well) on both ends (controller and disk).
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:22 AM