Xbox will not connect to Vista Laptop RRS feed

• Question

•  

My xbox will not connect.  I have windows one care installed and I have checked all the firewall settings.  In the xbox where it says to test connection it fails on the part that says PC selected.  I have windows media player 11 installed and I allowed sharing to the xbox.  It will not connect using Windows mediia center.  It cannot find extender.  It worked before the last service pack install.  After that it went in for repairs for the red ring of death syndrome.  I just got it back today.  The xbox is wired to the network and the laptop is wireless.  The Xbox will connect to another computer running xp but not to the vista laptop.  Both computers are in the one care circle.  Please help
    Monday, October 20, 2008 8:17 PM

Answers

•  

I figured the problem out!  I connected the computer to the network using a cable and it detected and connected the extender.  Then I disconnected the cable and tried to connect wirelessly and it did not work.  Then I figured it was the adapter.  I rolled back the driver and it worked fine.  I still do not understand why the driver would stop the extender from connecting.  The network adapter never had problems connecting to the internet before I rolled back the driver.  It just would not connect the extender.  Here is the information on the adapter and the rolled back driver currently in use

Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    Driver Version 6.1285.215.2007

Monday, October 20, 2008 10:35 PM

All replies

•  

I figured the problem out!  I connected the computer to the network using a cable and it detected and connected the extender.  Then I disconnected the cable and tried to connect wirelessly and it did not work.  Then I figured it was the adapter.  I rolled back the driver and it worked fine.  I still do not understand why the driver would stop the extender from connecting.  The network adapter never had problems connecting to the internet before I rolled back the driver.  It just would not connect the extender.  Here is the information on the adapter and the rolled back driver currently in use

Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    Driver Version 6.1285.215.2007

Monday, October 20, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Good job on diagnosing and fixing the problem!

For reference, to rule out OneCare as being the cause of connection problems (in most cases) turn off the OneCare firewall temporarily. If the problem persists, it probably isn't caused by OneCare.

-steve

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 2:19 PM