WOC Circle Issue and Feedback RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded to Vista platform from XP two nights ago.  Yesterday, I had to uninstall version 1.6 and reinstall version 2.0 from live.com site.  I didn't have an issue with Activating my subscription but, I was asked if I'd like to "add this computer to my circle".  I have one computer which went from an XP body to a Vista skirt.  I did click on Add but cancelled I believe so there would be no misunderstanding between me and MS billing re: one computer not new addition.  Things get so messed up with these little "misunderstandings" in electronic emissions, lol.

This morning, I'm moving much faster with tuneup in progress using v.2.0 and performing ordinary tasks such as reading mails, reply to messages, etc..... Microsoft however loads slow no matter where I go.  Especially on the Connect site. 

What few issues I had were "bugged".

And, I've received a notification of subscription expiration date with renewal link which was not there last night. 

Enabling settings in the new install did not stick but It may be because of a late night issue I corrected using the AV/Spyware update tool which may have caused it to default settings.  I don't believe I double checked these before retiring for the evening. So far, I have enjoyed using WOC, still recommend WOC and do like the New Makeover.  Thanks.

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:49 PM

Answers

• Yes.  When I signed into Live.com in order to download Beta 2.0, I used the same addy I use for WOC as well as Live.com.  The activation button was there when I installed and when I clicked on it, it did detect my Paid Account.  My subscription doesn't expire for a few more weeks and I noticed a link to renew has since been added to WOC Center Interface. 

Add a computer to my circle question is what concerned me because I only have one computer and I upgraded to Vista; that's all.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:22 AM
  • Ah, no, that add to a circle option appears even if you have only 1 PC running OneCare. If you add it to a circle and make it a hub, there's nothing for it to manage, but if you then add another PC, the hub is already defined, so the multi-PC management kicks in.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:32 PM

All replies

• Pat, did you activate 2.0 with your subscription LiveID?

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:10 AM
  • Yes.  When I signed into Live.com in order to download Beta 2.0, I used the same addy I use for WOC as well as Live.com.  The activation button was there when I installed and when I clicked on it, it did detect my Paid Account.  My subscription doesn't expire for a few more weeks and I noticed a link to renew has since been added to WOC Center Interface. 

Add a computer to my circle question is what concerned me because I only have one computer and I upgraded to Vista; that's all.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:22 AM
  • Ah, no, that add to a circle option appears even if you have only 1 PC running OneCare. If you add it to a circle and make it a hub, there's nothing for it to manage, but if you then add another PC, the hub is already defined, so the multi-PC management kicks in.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:32 PM
  • Thanks.  It gave no option to say no only add or cancel.  I believe I cancelled.  I do see the Hub option when opening Manage My Circle but, can you add pc's that are not in your home.  i.e. out of state pc units you may wish to bring into the circle?
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 9:59 PM
  • I believe they have to be in your local subnet - inside your home network.

-steve

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:14 AM
  • I do to but at least it's a question that's been answered.  Thanks.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 2:25 AM

• RE the last question on having out-of-state PC's, you can indeed add computers that are not on your local network to the circle, but note that the multi-PC functionality will be limited in this case.

For a remote PC not on the same network as the hub PC, the hub PC will still display the red/yellow/green status of the remote PC, but with a lag of up to a few hours.  Similarly, it will also still display the list of actions (if any) that need to be taken on that remote PC, also with a lag of up to a few hours  (we are still tuning the maximum lag based on the Beta).  The hub PC will, however, *not* be able to perform any actions on the remote PC in this case.

It's fair to say that the multi-PC experience in v2.0 is optimised for the case in which all the computers in the circle are on the same network, but even in cases where this is not the case, the hub PC provides some "last known" status and actions to take on the remote PC's.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:15 AM
  • That's really awesome information, Guhan. I didn't realize that it would actually be able to monitor outside the local network.

-steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:12 PM