Lose the IE enhanced security configuration. etc. RRS feed

• Question

• Well the title say's it all.

Other suggestions:

I hope installation will improve, Vista boot, reboot in W32 txt and then install W2K3 SBS server.... One install (load on disk) and one reboot should be possible...

need control panel add/remove software, I like to install additions like FTP en newsleecher and a p2p client so I can run these functions on the console (mostly by using rdp). Also required for installation and removal of printer software. Like to use the WHS as a print server.

I would like to see the capeability to define the disk the share saves files on. I have a W2K3 server with 5x300GB Raid5 disks. Like to specify that my video share is stored on the Raid5 disk and the rest on other disks. WHS uses a smart raid1 feature but this uses a lot more disk than raid5. Old fashioned W2K3, import disk, define drive letter eand define shares? create as an advanced configuration option?

Every PC needs the connector installed. This also install the WHS console. I do not want the console on every PC. Can this be split in to different installations? Or maybe configure the WHS console as a web feature only?

Installation DVD needs to be cleaned up. Old 9X & NT UPG and MIG dirs are there. I possible whole installation should fit on one CD! Many old P's do not have a dvd player.

Services needs to be cleaned up. Why are there services like wireless zero config? Why is desktop search installed?

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:57 PM

All replies

• I would think that by the time WHS RTMs, that the install process will be more smoother.  The control panel is still there, it's just removed from the start panel because for the target audience, there is no need for it to be there.  If you open a command prompt and type "control" you'll be all set.  Because of the new technology involved, Drive Extender, this really isn't possible.  The disks that you add become part of the available storage pool and it's up to DE to manage where the data is stored.  If you don't want the console to be available on every machine, just remove the link from the start menu and startup folder.  That will keep the people you don't want accessing the console from doing so.  Your next 2 points fit in with the first.  I'm sure by the time RTM rolls around things will be more fit and finish.  Hope that helps.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 5:38 PM
  • I don't really agree with "losing the IE enhanced security..."

I know several individuals have expressed concern that many people will want to "use" their WHS boxes.  If you actually use the box and don't dedicate it, you REALLY open yourself up to a large number of problems.  When it comes to IE, you definitely shouldn't be browsing on the box as it opens up your primary data source to a wide range of malware.  Now you have to install antispyware and antivirus software, which begins to cripple the performance of WHS.  In addition, you may be exposing the privacy of your entire family, guests, etc., to hackers just because you wanted to surf.

Not saying that it should be completely locked out, but I believe they are making the best choice by implementing the enhanced security by default.  Even for myself, if there is anything other than Windows Updates that I want to put on WHS, I simply use my primary desktop to do the browsing, then copy what I need over to the server.  Easier for me than loggin into the WHS server anyway.

need control panel add/remove software, I like to install additions like FTP en newsleecher and a p2p client so I can run these functions on the console (mostly by using rdp). Also required for installation and removal of printer software. Like to use the WHS as a print server.

You can also right-click on the Taskbar, select Properties, then enable the Control Panel link under the Start Menu customizations.  I tend to be a CLI person like Doug, but in this case I prefer to see the Control Panel link.  Just habit, I guess.

I possible whole installation should fit on one CD! Many old P's do not have a dvd player.

This is a very good point.  I think the WHS team would be missing a key nitch if they didn't consider individuals who want to supply their own server and want it to be an old computer (possibly given to them from work left-overs or built from computer scraps).  You can actually build a pretty decent server from scraps that would work great for WHS (that's actually what I did and WHS works great).  One of the problems though is the DVD Optical Drive.  It wasn't really that long ago before they became customary, meaning "scraps" generally don't include them.  Interestingly enough, I had this very problem.  I had to bring down my primary desktop, pull the DVD out and temporarily place in my WHS box to do the install.  Doable, but not exactly what I would prefer.

Why is desktop search installed?

Although I agree that more of the services need to be cleaned up (and they seem to be on track with that), WDS might actually be a good thing.  I posted in another topic about possibly leveraging WDS on the backend to provide some frontend search of your shares when you access WHS remotely.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 5:35 AM
  •  The Eck wrote:

Every PC needs the connector installed. This also install the WHS console. I do not want the console on every PC. Can this be split in to different installations? Or maybe configure the WHS console as a web feature only?

The WHS console is actually run on the server using Remote Desktop. The console itself isn't installed on any of the clients.

Services needs to be cleaned up. Why are there services like wireless zero config? Why is desktop search installed?

Desktop Search is the back-end for the search box in the Shared Folders tab of the web interface.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 10:34 AM
  •  The Eck wrote:

need control panel add/remove software, I like to install additions like FTP en newsleecher and a p2p client so I can run these functions on the console (mostly by using rdp). Also required for installation and removal of printer software. Like to use the WHS as a print server.

If you want to gain access to Control Panel, there are a couple of ways. You can use the Run dialog, type control and hit Return. That runs it immediately. Or you can right click the Start button, select Properties, click Customize..., then the Advanced tab. From there you can put Control Panel back on your Start menu.

As for third party applications like news leechers and P2P clients, you're likely to be on your own. I don't think Microsoft will intentionally break them, but I doubt that it's interested in spending time and money specifically to make them easier to install and use. And remember, the installation instructions make it clear that this is supposed to be a headless server appliance, not a desktop workstation. They specifically tell you to disconnect your keyboard, mouse, and display when installation is complete.

I would like to see the capeability to define the disk the share saves files on. I have a W2K3 server with 5x300GB Raid5 disks. Like to specify that my video share is stored on the Raid5 disk and the rest on other disks. WHS uses a smart raid1 feature but this uses a lot more disk than raid5. Old fashioned W2K3, import disk, define drive letter eand define shares? create as an advanced configuration option?

Since WHS is intended primarily for technically unsophisticated users, this is likely to be a low priority feature request. But you should go to Connect, check to see if there's already a request like this (there almost certainly is) and vote or submit one of your own.

You can prevent the Connector icon from displaying by removing the Windows Home Server item from your startup. But the console is the interface with your backups, among other things. If you want users to be able to access their backups, they will need the console.

Installation DVD needs to be cleaned up. Old 9X & NT UPG and MIG dirs are there. I possible whole installation should fit on one CD! Many old P's do not have a dvd player.

Absolutely, it needs to be cleaned up for RTM. But I believe the primary distribution channel for WHS will be OEM, preinstalled on hardware (a la the HP MediaSmart Server); Microsoft has said that 2/3 of the target market are technically unsophisticated users, who are extremely unlikely to want to configure and build a WHS themselves. They want to go to the store, buy a box, and plug it in when they get home. It's likely these devices will not even have a DVD/CD drive.

Enthusiast needs/wants are a completely different question, of course. But we're not the primary target audience.

Desktop Search is used in the remote web interface, to allow searching for files. Many of the other services could easily be turned off, I agree.
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 1:24 PM
  • If you are not suppose to use the Internet Explorer on the WHS box, then why does it only come with Internet Explorer 6.0, which is less secure than the new 7.0?

I thought it would be a good idea to run IE7 as the RSS (podcast/vblog) download client on the WHS, this way I don't need to store lots of media data on my regular machines, and the WHS is always on so it can download during the night, etc.

I realize that this is a huge security issue, having the WHS connect to lots of external sources, but it would still be nice to have the ability. Then I could make a quick script that copies all the downloaded data from the IE folder where the Windows RSS Platform stores the files, to the shares that are public on my network.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 11:40 PM