What happened to the reset database function? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having problems with old deleted backups taking file storage space.  I want to totally reset my backup database but it seems like that functionality has gone now with PP1.  The problem I am having is that even though all of my backups were deleted (after a failed repair effort - but that's another story) the server storage is still showing that I have 1TB committed to PC backups.  How do you reset the whole database and start from scratch under PP1?  In what I think may be a related problem, I also installed Vista on one of my PC's only to find that when I go to configure backup on that PC I am still seeing the old volumes (albeit they are showing as not connected). 

It seems like WHS isn't tidying up after itself and uinfortunaely I don't have the option any longer to reset everything.  I have run repair and it seems to go through the motions and work.  I have run cleanup and it also seems to work.  I have also removed the 2 PC's that had most of the drive space in the backups and ran repair and cleanup again while they were removed.  But the storage space seems to still be committed to PC backups. 

I just want a nice clean backup server to start again. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Sunday, June 22, 2008 10:59 AM

Answers

•  Sir_Richie wrote:

I'm having problems with old deleted backups taking file storage space.  I want to totally reset my backup database but it seems like that functionality has gone now with PP1.  The problem I am having is that even though all of my backups were deleted (after a failed repair effort - but that's another story) the server storage is still showing that I have 1TB committed to PC backups.  How do you reset the whole database and start from scratch under PP1?  In what I think may be a related problem, I also installed Vista on one of my PC's only to find that when I go to configure backup on that PC I am still seeing the old volumes (albeit they are showing as not connected). 

It seems like WHS isn't tidying up after itself and uinfortunaely I don't have the option any longer to reset everything.  I have run repair and it seems to go through the motions and work.  I have run cleanup and it also seems to work.  I have also removed the 2 PC's that had most of the drive space in the backups and ran repair and cleanup again while they were removed.  But the storage space seems to still be committed to PC backups. 

Anyone have any ideas?

The WHS toolkit also has that function.  You could try installing that (I'm not sure if the delete function will work with PP1 though).

Sunday, June 22, 2008 2:27 PM
  • I was able to install the toolkit following the instructions for starting the troubleshooter in advanced mode per the documentation then installing directly to the Console.  Worked like a charm.  Even cleared up all those 'legacy' volumes that I couldn't get rid of.  The reset function does indeed work through PP1.

Thanks

Monday, June 23, 2008 10:54 AM

All replies

•  Sir_Richie wrote:

I'm having problems with old deleted backups taking file storage space.  I want to totally reset my backup database but it seems like that functionality has gone now with PP1.  The problem I am having is that even though all of my backups were deleted (after a failed repair effort - but that's another story) the server storage is still showing that I have 1TB committed to PC backups.  How do you reset the whole database and start from scratch under PP1?  In what I think may be a related problem, I also installed Vista on one of my PC's only to find that when I go to configure backup on that PC I am still seeing the old volumes (albeit they are showing as not connected). 

Anyone have any ideas?

The WHS toolkit also has that function.  You could try installing that (I'm not sure if the delete function will work with PP1 though).

Sunday, June 22, 2008 2:27 PM
  • I was able to install the toolkit following the instructions for starting the troubleshooter in advanced mode per the documentation then installing directly to the Console.  Worked like a charm.  Even cleared up all those 'legacy' volumes that I couldn't get rid of.  The reset function does indeed work through PP1.

Thanks

Monday, June 23, 2008 10:54 AM