Cloning hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• With automated installs and cloning OS's off of hardware . Installations have become a breeze. My question deals with the subject of cloning an OS off of a HDD.

From what I understand, Disk Cloning simply takes an existing OS and makes full copy of it including all data software and config files. According to page 325 of Mike Meyer's CompTia Essentials, Exam 220-601, " That copy can then be transferred to as many machines as you like". What I have to ask is, since he didn't say anything about changing the Activation Key when cloning onto multiple computers, wouldn't that be illegal? Or is it inferred that you would want to change the keys after cloning?

By the way, first time posting to these forums. Not quite sure which category and forum it should go in , so i'm taking an educated guess.

• Moved by Mr. Wharty Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:15 AM Not a Training and Certification question. (From:Training and Certification)
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:04 PM

Answers

• You are correct each cloned machine would require a reactivation of windows. You also have to take into effect hardware. You cannot clone an HP desktop and put that image on a toshiba satellite laptop. Drivers have to be taken into consideration as well as software licensing.
    • Marked as answer by Abq Fox Friday, July 13, 2012 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:43 PM

All replies

• You are correct each cloned machine would require a reactivation of windows. You also have to take into effect hardware. You cannot clone an HP desktop and put that image on a toshiba satellite laptop. Drivers have to be taken into consideration as well as software licensing.
    • Marked as answer by Abq Fox Friday, July 13, 2012 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:43 PM
    That answered my question. now another arises. You say that drivers have to be taken into consideration. I understand that but why would this dictate the circumstances in which I could not clone an hp desktop to a Toshiba laptop. Do you mean that it can't be done? or since you said "Drivers have to be taken into consideration, you mean that I COULD clone to a different laptop but that the drivers for that laptop would have to be found and installed.
    Friday, July 13, 2012 12:00 AM
  • You have to take into account drivers. Some drivers are similar so windows would load fine. But if you took my example and tried to load windows it wouldn't work. Windows looks for specific drivers when loading, the same drivers that were installed during your installation of windows. If those drivers aren't present Windows won't load.

So yes you can physically clone one drive and install that clone on a completely different computer, but that computer probably will not boot because Windows won't have the proper drivers installed so Windows will fail to load.

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:37 PM
  • This is a training and certification forum.  As your question relates to neither of these, it will be moved to the Off-topic forum.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:14 AM
  • I am of the personal opinion that legality,in the twisted sense of my experience on the subject, simply does not exist. Law on the other hand is a notion that I relate with asking myself if I will be able to sleep well at night. 

Only you can be the absolute judge of yourself. If you had of cloned the drive and were using it on a hundred machines, I would not think badly of you provided your actions were without malice and occurred with no intention of harm to others. 

I will close my eyes and say I didnt see a thing too. HaHa.

Have you found a means to clone your drive?

Regards,

Dale

Saturday, April 14, 2018 6:09 AM