none
Popup: "Passwords do not match" RRS feed

• Question

• From a Windows 7 (64) computer, I repeatedly get a popup that my server password should match that of my computer (not sure why, as all seems to be working as expected)
    The prompt provides a window to "correct" the situation, by entering the server pswd, and the computer pswrd, and selecting which one to keep.  This seems straight forward, except that nothing gets accepted, no matter which option is selected.  The passwords are entered correctly for each.  I  connected to the server with the same password, and I am able to open the console/lights-out utilities fine, with full control.   And, why do I even have to change the password on this computer to match this newly added server??  Does this also imply that every computer on my network needs to have the same password, if this prompt was able to actually change the offending password as suggested?? The other computers (Vista, XP) are getting the same annoying popups as well.  Where can this popup get shut down, if I really don't care, or maybe like unique passwords on my network computers??
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:09 AM

Answers

• When you create a user on your server, presumably the user name matches that of a user on one or more client computers. If that's the case, then the Windows Home Server connector will pop up the prompt you're seeing, if the password for that user on the server doesn't match the password for that user on the client computer. Windows Home Server wants to help you keep your passwords in sync, and that popup is how it does it.

Note that when it asks for passwords, the prompt is pretty clear about which password it wants: the password for the user account. The password for the console is completely separate.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 1:22 PM

All replies

• When you create a user on your server, presumably the user name matches that of a user on one or more client computers. If that's the case, then the Windows Home Server connector will pop up the prompt you're seeing, if the password for that user on the server doesn't match the password for that user on the client computer. Windows Home Server wants to help you keep your passwords in sync, and that popup is how it does it.

Note that when it asks for passwords, the prompt is pretty clear about which password it wants: the password for the user account. The password for the console is completely separate.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 1:22 PM
  • One other thing, when you enter the passwords correctly, you will change the password on the computer to what you have on the server for that specific user.
    Before I installed my whs I had no password to log in to my computers but after setting up the users on the whs I had to use the same password on the computers as well...
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:38 PM
  • I know this is and old post, but I had a similar issue and none of this helped, but I did fix it.

My Home server had lost it's Time so it was reset back to 2003 and apparently when the time on the desktop and the server get way out of each other the credentials get very wonky.  I was able to get on Via Remote desktop, so I just reset the time and it all worked fine.  Hope this helps someone save the Hours of frustration I had working with this problem.

Sunday, December 21, 2014 3:22 PM