My copy of Windows is genuine but.. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running on an Emachine 2002, but my copy of Windows is allegedly not genuine. The PC has a valid COA, however, and has gone for repairs once or twice but the problem was solely with anti-virus software. I now have to buy a $200 copy of genuine Windows which I cannot really afford because the WGA informs me that my VLK is blocked. If I was the original PC to have a certain COA and the Product Key etc were all copied and used for other PCs is there anyway I can get my copy of Windows recognized as the genuine one it is?
    Tuesday, December 12, 2006 6:56 PM

Answers

• B.H.,

Most likely the nongenuine installation of XP Pro was installed when you took the computer in for servicing.  Happens all the time.

Back up and offload your data, use the eMachines Recovery solution to put the original XP Home back onto the computer, and you'll once again be running genuine Windows!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 2:22 AM

All replies

• A "Blocked VLK" is a Volume License Key that is valid, but was licensed solely to a corporation or larger enterprise/business. Blocked VLK's are Product Keys that Microsoft has received consent from the original owner to block usage of. A VL Product Key is non-transferrable to individuals. In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on your options which include how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 1:45 AM
  • B.H.,

Most likely the nongenuine installation of XP Pro was installed when you took the computer in for servicing.  Happens all the time.

Back up and offload your data, use the eMachines Recovery solution to put the original XP Home back onto the computer, and you'll once again be running genuine Windows!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 2:22 AM