none
Fundamental Question RRS feed

• Question

• I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that my question is "Is HPC thread aware?"

To better explain, we currently have a java application which is multi-threaded (uses all cores), each thread calculation is completely independent of the others, but the final result is the simple arithmetic sum of each of these results. 

What I was hoping to do was virtually combine the computing power of all the available (5 or 6) servers.

Can this be done using HPC?

Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:27 PM

Answers

• This should be pretty straight forward with HPC. You can use HPC SOA feature to spread your request to the cluster and collect result on the client. Then you can do the simple sum action on your client machine.
    Monday, November 1, 2010 2:20 PM
  • No, the HPC Pack software is not able to monitor applications running on a single machine in order to automatically offload processes to other machines.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 11:43 PM

All replies

• This should be pretty straight forward with HPC. You can use HPC SOA feature to spread your request to the cluster and collect result on the client. Then you can do the simple sum action on your client machine.
    Monday, November 1, 2010 2:20 PM
  • I presume that this requires a code change to java?
    Can HPC automaticly notice that java has produced a new thread and send that thread to another machine?

I'm not sure if we can modify our java app which was never desgined with HPC in mind.

I'm looking for a IT way (without modify the application), of spreading the work across multiple machines in its currect state

Monday, November 1, 2010 5:52 PM
  • No, the HPC Pack software is not able to monitor applications running on a single machine in order to automatically offload processes to other machines.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 11:43 PM
  • I have not enough knowledge about it, but according to my knowledge i think yes.
    http://www.software-llc.com/
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:35 AM