Console error when opening unable to add shared folder RRS feed

• Question

• Ok I created a shared folder called users. I somehow managed to find the C:\users folder on the server when first starting using WHS Vail and put users data in there for some reason, ah yes I now know Users folders are not carried over from WHS1 (shouldn't work on folders in the server!) I realised the mistake today and created a Users Folder in the console. I then made the silly mistake of cutting from c:\users to \\server\users when Remote desktop into the server. I then started getting warning messages about copying certain files. Then I thought hey maybe users folder is not a good idea if Vail has it deliberatly left out of defalt install. I deleted users folder from the console. I was able to do a very sucessfull restore of a backup of c:\users from a couple of hours before and everything seemed fine.

I went to open console and got an error about addins below then under that Event ID 1001 contents.

Any idea how to fix?

I have a full backup of the complete server should I try and fix the problem, do a restore of the backup or a server reinstall. I am not sure of the proceedure to do a server reinstall or full backup restore. I should not have to restore the data in the shares though.

Any advice apreciated. Server tool uploaded CAB 852614856

Thanks

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01:                       dashboard.exe

Problem Signature 02:                       6.1.7495.0

Problem Signature 03:                       4bc7a0ff

Problem Signature 04:                       Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Console.AddIns.Folders

Problem Signature 05:                       6.1.0.0

Problem Signature 06:                       4bc7a107

Problem Signature 07:                       4b

Problem Signature 08:                       366

Problem Signature 09:                       Exception

OS Version:                                          6.1.7600.2.0.0.33040.34

Locale ID:                                             3081

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Error Reporting
    Date:          13/05/2010 6:24:48 PM
    Event ID:      1001
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SERVER
    Description:
    Fault bucket 1126681039, type 5
    Event Name: CLR20r3
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: dashboard.exe
    P2: 6.1.7495.0
    P3: 4bc7a0ff
    P4: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Console.AddIns.Folders
    P5: 6.1.0.0
    P6: 4bc7a107
    P7: 4b
    P8: 366
    P9: Exception
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\WER3F51.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_dashboard.exe_fb3d1a60bac585a35c1e917713b58b96c492a12_03314d55

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: f6cc5ce9-5e68-11df-bd3f-001b2141cc4c
    Report Status: 0
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-05-13T08:24:48.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2507</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>SERVER</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>1126681039</Data>
        <Data>5</Data>
        <Data>CLR20r3</Data>
        <Data>Not available</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>dashboard.exe</Data>
        <Data>6.1.7495.0</Data>
        <Data>4bc7a0ff</Data>
        <Data>Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Console.AddIns.Folders</Data>
        <Data>6.1.0.0</Data>
        <Data>4bc7a107</Data>
        <Data>4b</Data>
        <Data>366</Data>
        <Data>Exception</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\WER3F51.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml</Data>
        <Data>C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_dashboard.exe_fb3d1a60bac585a35c1e917713b58b96c492a12_03314d55</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>f6cc5ce9-5e68-11df-bd3f-001b2141cc4c</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

• Edited by seaview Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:10 AM fix info
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:32 AM

Answers

• My advice would be to file a bug on Connect, though I don't know that the team can do much; C:\Users contains some critical information that you probably damaged in your experimentation. Wait a few days if you can, for Microsoft to get back to you with any questions they may have, then just flatten your server.

You may also want to vote this product suggestion up.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:53 AM

All replies

• My advice would be to file a bug on Connect, though I don't know that the team can do much; C:\Users contains some critical information that you probably damaged in your experimentation. Wait a few days if you can, for Microsoft to get back to you with any questions they may have, then just flatten your server.

You may also want to vote this product suggestion up.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Thanks for your advice Ken.

Tempted to go back to WHS 1,  I had an issue with V1 needing a server reinstall and decided it looked like Vail was early stages but useable.

I just read that the data in the shared folder pools will change without a migrate path. With 3GB or 6GB duplicated that sounds like a lot of work and potential for problems doing each upgrade

I expected issues doing upgrades but not pool data drives having to have all the contents copied off and and then copied back on, that is a lot of data to be adding and removing regularly.

The thing that ultimatly caught me out is I used to Remote Desktop into WHS1 and it had the shared folders icon on the desktop which made opening up shared folers easy, no need to use exploerer so that was number one and then the lack of Users folder and not enough sleep added to it.

As a whole it works quite well as is but I feel I am flirting with danger using it given all the posts I have read at great lengh over very many hours.

I have submitted to connect.

Ian

Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Crisis over. I just did a repair from the install disk. Seemed to work fast and effective. I made sure I removed System drive from Storage.

I sent the logs to connect.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:00 PM
    Tempted to go back to WHS 1,  I had an issue with V1 needing a server reinstall and decided it looked like Vail was early stages but useable.

Look up at the top of the forum, where there's an announcement that says "Don't use Vail in production."

If you don't have 100% of the data that's on your Vail server on other storage as well, completely separate from Vail (i.e. not even relying on the server backup features of Vail) you're taking a chance that I (IT Pro jack of all trades and doer of silly things with Windows Home Server "so you don't have to") would never take. Am I using Vail in production? Yes. But all (100%) of my data is on my V1 server, and gets synced to my Vail server nightly via robocopy. I take regular backups of my V1 server, and take those backups off-site. If Vail fails me completely for some reason, I lose backups of home computers connected to that server. No biggie; I've never seen the point of duplicating the backup database, and I've never in my entire career gone farther back than "last known good" in a backup set. Flattening my Vail server is something I expect to do regularly until it's released to manufacturing...

Long story short, go back to V1, which at this point is proven technology, unless you have spare hardware to have two servers running. I gave similar warnings when V1 was in beta, for the same reason: you're relying on unproven technology that Microsoft tells you you shouldn't use in production...

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:11 PM
  • I have backups of everything important on external USB hard drives or other computers except 2TB of recorded TV within a day but I see your point. Even WHS1 before PP1 was out you had data issues for quite some time and it was only found when used in the real world by lots of people. I guess as each Service pack or power pack you hope to doge the bullet. I have no issue doing reinstalls but I was not aware how unproven and un finalised the DE technology and backup technology was. Just about every beta product has don't use this in production environment, maybe that is why so many people still use Windows XP. I guess what would have stopped me using it and should be added is

1. Our DE storage is not fully developed and will change between versions and we don't have an upgrade path and it is not stable yet.

2. Our backups are not fully developed and will change between versions with no real guarantee of recovery.

I guess I assumed that the basics were stable and in place but the interfaces and features were still well and truly in a state of change, I was wrong. I assumed if the OS died a server reinstall would work. I have read a lot of the forum and documentation before I made the move but missed the key points on data integrity and backups.

You post a lot and do a lot of testing work from the above description, do Microsoft pay you for any of this, do you have a day job? :-)

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:08 AM
  • The basics are fairly stable. That said, one of the major reasons for this sort of open beta test is to allow a large number of people to bang on the product for an extended period. Microsoft's closed betas have probably dozens to hundreds of participants, where the Vail open beta has probably thousands if not tens of thousands. Numbers will stress the product in ways that a few (even a select few who have a talent for breaking things) won't. And if you look around, or check on Connect, you'll see that dozens of bugs have been reported in the last couple of weeks.

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:53 AM