WHS becomes unusable when copying data via network or usb. RRS feed

• Question

• Generally when I want to add something to my server I download it via SABNZD which I have running on the machine and it works great, I do it so much in fact that I can't remember the last time I copied something to it via my network.

A couple of days ago I had a lot of data I wanted to move from my PC to the server and didn't feel like trying to do it over my wireless so I used an external USB drive.

I hooked it up, used RDP to connect to my box and within 30 to 60 seconds of beginning the copy process the machine became unusable. The RDP screen would refresh every 1 to 2 min and I could see that the CPU usage was 50% to 90% but I couldn't see an actual process that was using that much because of the delay. After several attempts / reboots I decided to go back and do the transfer over my wireless. Again...30 to 60 sec into the transfer it would stall out and if I was connected via RDP the cpu would spike and my session would become unresponsive.

I kept a constant ping going to the server so I could tell when it was back up after a reboot and found that when I attempting my file transfers I would get 2 or 3 normal responses, then a response with a 900ms+ a couple time outs and then sporadic responses until I canceled it.

Server Specs:

Intel Dual Core 2.0Ghz
    4 gigs ram
    200 gig IDE sys drive
    1TB SATA (Data)
    2TB SATA (Data)
    400GB SATA (Data) 
    2x250GB IDE (Data)

I'm not sure if it's because I have a failing drive tho nothing I can see is pointing to that or if it's because I'm using a mix of SATA and IDE tho I don't recall having problems when I first built the machine.

I only see 1 error in event viewer:
    Faulting application iexplore.exe version 8.0.6001.18702, faulting mode ntdll.dll version 5.2.3790.4455, fault address 9x0004cde2

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:17 AM

All replies

• I have seen a similar behavior with Windows Server 2003 in the period of its initial introduction on consumer hardware and IDE drives. Copying large files to the disk locally or via network caused the server to become unresponsive and Explorer.exe to take up more and more system ressources. Since I never had this happen on other hardware platforms, I assume that it has to do with either the driver for the IDE controller or something else in context with the IDE disks. Are they running in UDMA mode?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:37 PM
  • I too have recently started to get this error message.

My scenario is that I happened to install the new Advanced Format drives from WD without knowing about the issue related to block size. I gradually experienced sluggish behaviour and was set on track in this forum. It turns out that data drives can be fixed with a jumper, but the system drive needs to be "aligned", both the system and data partition. Now the aligning program says that the system partition is OK, but the program aborts for the ata partition with no other message than "error". I suspect that the ntdll.dll message is related to this. Any ideas?

The error log indicates that the situation occurs arbitarily and WHS is not affected as far as I can see.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:49 PM