Backup error, what do you do then ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have got 2 x 400 Go HDD in my WHS.

The system HDD is nearly full (3% free) and the other drive has a lot of space (79% free).

So, the backups all failed yesterday night.

What can you do to equilibrate the free space between the drives ?

I would prefer 40% free on both drives.

I have already removed folder duplication (and so doing get the 3% left).

Any idea ?

Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:14 PM

All replies

• If you are talking about the SYS partition being almost full, you could migrate all of the log files that are created to the other drive and see how much free space you gain from that. Also try running Disk Cleanup to see how much space you gain.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 6:44 PM
  • It is warned in the documentation that we shouldn't use anything other than the 'Shared Folders' to do anything. Especially it warned of all normal utilities, like Disk Manger and Explorer, not be used.

WHS's Disk Extender technology doesn't expose the independent drives. So even if you copy the files legally to another folder, it may still be there where it was.

So, there must be other ways to deal with this problem. One way suggested in other posts is to add a 3rd drive.

ThanQ...

Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:27 PM
  • Tom is talking about the Operating System drive being full (at least i think he is).  There is a known issue with log files becoming too large.  You should not have to worry about this issue in later builds.

We need to know more about what is getting full and where it's telling you it's getting full to be able to help.  Can you please provide more information?

Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:33 PM
  • Hello,

For the beginning, i used WHS for backup of my computers. I have got a large collection of pictures (around 65 Gb) and copy it on WHS.

It stopped near the end with a duplication problem.

On the following morning, all the backups done during the night were failed.

I suspected the reason could be a lack of free space : so I unchecked folder duplication for pictures.

I removed the failed backups, and after the clean up, i have 3%, and today 5% left.

I had no warning about the system drive being full. I mean the data partition on the system drive is nearly full.

I have got 55% of free space for the 10Gb partition of the system.

What i wanted to know was if there is a way to distribute more evenly the backups on both drives ?

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:35 PM