none
Does SyncToy 2.0 use shadow copying? RRS feed

• Question

• I like to run SyncToy 2.0 quite frequently during the day, to keep an almost-real-time backup of the files I'm working on.

I prefer to keep Outlook 2007 open all day.  However, Outlook locks its .pst file, making it tricky for any backup program to handle.

Will SyncToy back up Outlook's .pst files?  For instance, using shadow copy technology?  Or must I keep closing Outlook down before running SyncToy?

Thanks,

Thack 
    Monday, February 16, 2009 10:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Just to add to this: in fact SyncToy seems to be seriously broken in one respect.

When using Contribute, and Outlook is open, SyncToy actually overwrites the .pst file in the right hand folder with an empty file of zero bytes length.

In other words, it actually destroys the existing backup.

I don't think this is what was intended!
    Monday, February 16, 2009 11:28 AM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for reporting this error. We know this issue already, Should be fixed in next release.

Thanks,
    Baoke
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:33 AM
  • baoke said:

Thank you for reporting this error. We know this issue already, Should be fixed in next release.

Thanks Baoke, great to hear it!

Just to clarify: when this is fixed, will SyncToy be able to back up a .pst file even when Outlook is open?  Or will it simply not destroy the existing backup?

Thack
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:36 AM
  • I am not sure about this. Let's Wait. :)

Thanks,
    Baoke
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:14 AM
  • has Synctoy 2.1 fixed all above mentioned bugs?
    Monday, November 21, 2011 1:10 PM