WHS will not start with any USB memory stick plugged in RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I have a USB flash drive (of any kind) plugged in, then restart the computer, the computer locks up while the bios is discovering the hard drives.

Is this my motherboard problem?

Or WHS?

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:15 AM

Answers

• It's most likely a MB problem...

In Bios, make sure you don't have "Boot Other" or "Boot USB" turned on.  Also, make sure that USB devices are not loaded as Storage or Hard Drives.

You can also make sure that your boot order is set for CD/DVD then Hard Drive (Or Hard Drive first if you prefer).  Then go into Drive Boot Order, and make sure your physical WHS boot drive is the first one listed.

What's happening, is the MB Bios is trying to boot off the USB stick, either cause it's loading it as a hard drive, or it's set to boot before the actual HD is.  But, you don't have a bootable MBR configured for the stick, so it's failing.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:52 PM

All replies

• It's most likely a MB problem...

In Bios, make sure you don't have "Boot Other" or "Boot USB" turned on.  Also, make sure that USB devices are not loaded as Storage or Hard Drives.

You can also make sure that your boot order is set for CD/DVD then Hard Drive (Or Hard Drive first if you prefer).  Then go into Drive Boot Order, and make sure your physical WHS boot drive is the first one listed.

What's happening, is the MB Bios is trying to boot off the USB stick, either cause it's loading it as a hard drive, or it's set to boot before the actual HD is.  But, you don't have a bootable MBR configured for the stick, so it's failing.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:52 PM
  • On a couple of my new laptops, Vista behaves the same way and I have not noticed anything in BIOS that will disable this so I just live with it... I need to check if it behaves the same when a usb hard drive is plugged in.

-Larry

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:45 PM